1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Bonzi To Sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Center, Sep 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because we don't need Head at all. Honestly, I think right now it's time to do something useful with Head. I love the kid, but I honestly think this isn't the place for him to develop. I mean we could perhaps package Rybo to Charlotte, but they'd probably wouldn't take it.

I mean if we can keep Head, then screw it. But otherwise, if we can get Melvin Ely on the cheap, he brings a heck load of energy, it would be awesome.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Arguably Top 5 player in the playoffs last year. Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You get your backup center in Chris Mihm. I think that trade is on the hook and they are just waiting for Mihm to heal up from his surgery. You dump Juwan and Head (have to give them something for taking on Juwan) and you get back Mihm and something else (hopefully Brian Cook, probably McKie), but you get back expiring contracts plus a new trade exception that is good for another year. Then you've got several expiring contracts to go to bat with at the trade deadline if you see that you don't need the players and you can use them to acquire one more major rotation player.

Backup Center is the LEAST important position on this team. Even if Yao went down, what is Ely or anybody else gonna do???? Absolutely NOTHING. All the offense goes to the perimter with McGrady, Battier and the other shooters with Bonzi posting up at the knuckle. A backup center is just 6 fouls to use on Shaq daddy, that's all. And we'd be better off going small anyways if Yao goes down for an extended period of time during the season.

We have got to get rid of Juwan.

4. mag

mag Contributing Member

I will try to keep Head no matter what. This team is going deep and we need shooters and depth for the long run.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Warriors are paying lux tax. I'd rather see a trade for Biedrens, if Rockets still have enough room to add more salary.

Foyle isn't movable unless Zeke takes a liking to him and Nelly has mentioned playing Bunleavy at PF with Murphy at C. Their frontcourt is loaded... with scrubs taking up salary space.

6. jopatmc

Oh, I'd love to keep Head. I really want Juwan and Rybo gone most. We need to move Juwan so bad though. Head is the only guy we got that we could package with him to move him. Juwan, Rybo, and Head to the Lake show for Mihm, McKie, and Cook (3 expiring deals and a backup center and a shooting PF). It just makes too much sense.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Can't you guys just be happy for a few minutes without talking about who ELSE we need? :)

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Mutombo is awesome, but he is nearing the age of 100, why the heck should we rely on his body all season long. We need an energy defensive guy that will come into the game and swat shots. Yao will not play 38 minutes, it's my belief he will remain there for like 33-35 minutes a game. The PF is spot, Battier will be switching to SF a lot when T-mac goes out of the game, where we can arguably put in a PF.

Ely fits the bill perfectly. PF/C Can give Yao some rest. Then when it's time to substitute for Mcgrady, move Battier to SF, and perhaps put in Juwan. Then when Battier needs rest, we can put Yao and T-mac back in with Ely at PF.

I want Ely.

9. job

job Contributing Member

Go Rockets! I am back on the bandwagon.

10. holysilence

holysilence Member

Oh my holy god!!
    Am I dreaming?

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Jeff is right...we got the best possible 2 on the market hands down! What more do you want.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

just logged on to see the news. We are set now.

Alston
    Wells
    Mac
    Battier
    Ming

what a solid 5...

so pleased, I was really trying to tell myself it wouldnt happen so i wouldnt be disapointed.

:D

13. cbb139

cbb139 Member

Nice Off-Season, Battier, Bonzi, Synder and V-Span, athletism, rebound, defense, and energy. I'm impressed. Bonzi is a legit 3rd scorer, he wont be asked to carry the load, but he can definitely fill the scoring role. Can't wait for the season, please stay healthy.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry Jeff, but the possibilities of still having a 4.2M exception still roams in my head, and I just want a PF/C for this team.

I'm happy though, and just to make you happy, I will stop arguing and bring this up tomorrow.

15. jopatmc

We need to add Darius Miles to our rotation of Yao, McGrady, Battier, Bonzi, Rafer, Synder, and Kill Bill. Add Miles and you've got a solid rotation of 8 with shooters and defenders in spots 9-12.

We've got all these guys coming in. Training camp is going to be a war for all those kids, fighting and clawing for the last roster spot. They know this is a good team and if they can just squeeze in for the ride.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Alston
    Wells
    Mac
    Battier
    Ming

that is a starting 5 on par with every championship contender in the league.

not to mention yao and tmac are both top 5 position players.

that is rare for any team.

finals or BUST

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

All you ely lovers and head and howard haters...start your own thread...think of all the possibilities we have with bonzi, tmac, yao and the best role player in the L, Battier...Rudy who?

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

You know we're perfectionists. Until we land Chris Paul at PG and EB at PF, and then land LeBron to back up T-Mac, this team won't be perfect.

19. jopatmc

Wonder what Mike James will be thinking when he wakes up to this. Right here in his hometown. And he could have been a part of it all. He's going up there to play in all the snow with a team stuck in mediocrity. Sad.

20. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Bonzi who i always wanted all along this offseason. Check this Out. I must be dreaming the rockets actually sign someone i want and i damn near predict in april. Please god let this be true, I dont want egg on my face.

SPlash. We can win it all This year!!!!!

Old 04-20-2006, 07:54 PM #54
    KDavis
    Contributing Member
    Since: Oct 2005
    Member: #16342

Use the MLE on Bonzi Wells, Hes a rebounding machine, plays good defense and would be our third option. Imagine a Sura (Fingers Crossed), and Wells Backcourt we be one of the best rebounding teams in the leauge. Hell with that Backcourt we could even give Stro some minutes since he not a good rebounder anyway.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=111776&page=3&pp=20

I never said we had to use the Whole MLE! :D