1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 Players at each Position

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Aug 8, 2001.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think it's kind of wierd seeing guys like Mutumbo, O'neal, Davis, Nowitzki in the top 5 at their positions.

Just doesn't seem right.

Late 80's we had Dream, Robinson, Ewing, Jabbar at center.

2. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Center:
    1. Shaquille O'neal
    2. Alonzo Mourning
    3. Jermaine O'Neal
    4. Hakeem Olajuwon
    5. David Robinson
    HM: Dikembe Mutumbo: I think he is overrated.

Power Forward:
    1. Chris Webber
    2. Tim Duncan
    3. Kevin Garnett
    4. Rasheed Wallace
    5. Karl Malone

Small Forward:
    1. Vince Carter
    2. Glenn Robinson
    3. Paul Pierce
    4. Grant Hill (if he doesn't get injured again)
    5. Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Shooting Guard:
    1. Kobe Bryant
    2. Tracy McGrady
    3. Ray Allen
    4. Allen Iverson
    5. Michael Finley

Point Guard:
    1. Steve Francis
    2. Gary Payton
    3. Jason Kidd
    4. Sam Cassell
    5. John Stockton

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

How dare you guys not put Allen Houston as a top 5 SG ... he's earning $100 freaking millions and he's the best SG in the NBA!!!

...... he claimed ;)

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Sorry cat I disagree.
    What you are basically saying is Stackhouse is the same as Iverson? He can create and shoot and get to the foul line.... pretty much same shooting percentage, same shots per game, all that stuff. MANY players in the NBA could put up those stats if given enough shots, many players can create...can you show me one person in the league that puts up that many shots...or close to it..and don't have the same results? No. I can't speak from that much experience bc i've only seen a few detroit games but when we (Rocks) played Detroit, i don't remember us double teaming Stack, nor have I seen any other teams do it. They know that he can get his and theyll still win. Thats not a great player. If a player gets double teamed on a regular basis and still leads his team to victory (ie MJ, Hakeem, AI) that is what I would call a great player. But he doesn't make his team better, he jacks up shots, low percentage, etc. etc. So using shooting, rebounding, and assists stats, you conclude that Stack and AI are equal players. Does this mean that philly would be the same team if AI was replaced with Stack? I don't put Stack anywhere near the player AI is; both teams records would prove that fact. AI 's had the best in the East and Detroit couldn't even make the playoffs... this great player couldn't lead his team into the playoffs....IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE(sorry for the caps). Please explain a little more clearly how you put Stack and AI in the same category(I know you don't consider them totally equal , but you're saying they are pretty close). Thats like saying Tim Duncan and Elton Brand are pretty much the same caliber player because they have similar stats! TD 22-12 EB 20-10.

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I can not believe you guy would laeve out Divac and Stojakovic

Center:
    1. Shaquille O'neal
    2. Alonzo Mourning
    3. Dikembe Mutumbo
    4. David Robinson
    5. Vlade Divac
    HM: Hakeem Olajuwon .

Small Forward:
    1. Vince Carter
    2. Grant Hill
    3. Paul Pierce
    4. Pedja Stojakovic
    5. Shareef Abdur-Rahim

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

O'neal
    Mutombo
    Mourning
    Dream
    Ewing

Duncan
    Webber
    Garnett
    Wallace
    McDyess

McGrady
    Nowitski
    Hill
    Abdur Rahim
    Pierce

Iverson
    Bryant
    Carter
    Jordan
    Allen

Francis
    Payton
    Kidd
    Marbury
    Cassell

#26 ZRB, Aug 10, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2001
  7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Centers-

Shaq
    Duncan
    Mourning(if healthy)
    Dik
    DRob

Shaq is easily #1... I consider Duncan a C, because on 25+ other teams who would be... Obviously I'm assuming that Mourning can get anywhere near back to where he was as a 20 and 10 guy... Dik is easily the best defensive C... And DRob still can play when he turns it on...

Poward Forwards-

Garnett
    Webber
    McDyess
    Wallace
    Malone

Garnett can guard 3 positions... Webber has a great inside/outside game... McDyess is a nightmare matchup with his 40+ inch vertical, and oh yeah he now has a nice 15 ft jumper... Wallace's offensive arsenal is every bit as good as Webber's, plus he can stroke the 3... Malone's fadeaway is still one of the best shots in the NBA... A year from now, Nowitzki will surpass Malone...

Small Forwards-

McGrady
    Carter
    Hill
    Finley
    Odom

McGrady IMO, is the most versatile and complete SF in the game... He can shutdown his opponent (BigDog in the playoffs), rebound, shoot, pass, and just about whatever he wants... He will be what everyone thought Penny Hardaway would be... I count Carter as a SF, because on most teams he would be a SF... Hill, was the most versatile SF until TMac exploded last year... Finley can do it all, especially on D... Odom's versatility is why I feel he's a top 5 SF... As you can see, I love versatility... ;)

Shooting Guards-

Kobe
    Ray Allen
    Iverson
    Rose
    Eddie Jones

Kobe is the league's 2nd best player, after Shaq... Allen plays D, can shoot it, and is flat out smooth... Iverson is easily the most valuable of any SG... Rose has versatility... And Jones, well, I ran out of SG's since I counted McGrady, Finley, and Carter as SF's...

Point Guards-

Kidd
    Payton
    Francis
    Brandon
    Davis

Again, the key here is versatility... Kidd, obviously is great all-around... Payton is still one of the best defensive PG's, and can still score like hell... Francis would be #1 if he took over games more, and if he played better man to man defense... Brandon is one of the best at pick and rolls... Baron is another one of my versatility guys... Great rebounder for his size, and very explosive...

8. vmall

vmall Member

Vince is a much better player than McGrady.

9. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

steve francis isn't even a top 15 point guard, you guys are crazy!!!

just joking guys!!!! wanted to see how much emtion that stirs

10. rompa

rompa Member

damn where has all the talent gone?
    the best players from 5 years ago would kill todays players.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I decided to stick with 5, makes it harder

Center
    1. Shaquille O'Neal
    (big gap)

2. David Robinson
    3. Dikembe Mutombo
    4. Alonzo Mourning (could be back to #2, we'll see)

5. Theo Ratliff (close call here)

Power Forward
    1. Tim Duncan
    2. Chirs Webber (C-Web slightly more dominant thn KG lst 2yrs)
    3. Kevin Garnett
    (big gap)

4. Karl Malone (now clearly 4th best)

5. Antonio Mcdyess

Small Forward
    1. Tracy McGrady- I believe this is his ideal position)
    (big gap)

2. Dirk Nowitzki (arbirary among these 3)
    3. Paul Pierce
    4. Shareef Abdur-Rahim

5. Lamar Odom (Mash is NOT one of the 5 best)

Shooting Guard
    1. Allen Iverson (tough call between these two)
    2. Kobe Bryant (better all around than Carter)
    (small gap)

3. Vince Carter
    (big gap to the rest)

4. Jerry Stackhouse
    5. Micheal Finley (close call with Allen)

Point Guard
    1. Gary Payton (best all around by a nod over JK)
    2. Jason Kidd
    3. Stephon Marbury (true test now, no excuses for Ls now)
    4. Steve Francis (could be #1 by the end of this year)
    (big gap)

5. Terrel Brandon (solid #5 for 2 years, Davis/Bibby soon though)

12. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Where the f*** is Kelvin Cato?:confused:

:rolleyes:

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Ratliff is really a PF. He only played C at Philly because they didn't want Geiger starting.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Centers -
    Kelvin Cato
    Jason Collier
    NA
    NA
    NA

Power Forwards -
    Mo Taylor
    Eddie Griffin
    Kenny Thomas
    NA
    NA

Small Forwards -
    Glen Rice
    Dan Langhi
    Terrence Morris
    Walt Williams
    NA

Shooting Guards -
    Cuttino Mobley
    NA
    NA
    NA
    NA

Point Guards -
    Steve Francis
    Moochie Norris
    NA
    NA
    NA

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Centers:

1. Shaq
    2. Motumbo
    3. Robinson
    4. The Dream
    5. Morning

Power Forwards:

1. Duncan
    2. Garnett
    3. Webber
    4. Wallace
    5. McDyess

Small Forward:

1. Dirk Nowitzki
    2. McGrady
    3. Vince Carter
    4. Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    5. Shawn Marion

Shooting Guards:

1. Kobe Bryant
    2. Ray Allen
    3. A.I.
    4. Eddie Jones
    5. Cuttino Mobley

Point Guards:

1. Gary Payton
    2. Jason Kidd
    3. Steve Francis
    4. Stephon Marbury
    5. Baron Davis

16. Desert Scar

crash,
    I don't see how you can have Dream over Mourning, and absolutely no way having Dirk over McGrady or Alenn over Carter. Carter is a more multi-dimesional and superior version of Ray Allen.

17. crash5179

Its simple:

1. Mourning did not play last year and may not ever be the player he once was. Dream still is a better offensive player than Mourning but if (and this is a big if) Mourning can return to his defensive form then and only then will I place him above Dream.

2. Dirk has a better all around game than McGrady, period. They are both small forwards so lets check out their stats:

Dirk had 22ppg 9.2rpg 1.23bpg 1spg 2apg .474 from the field .383 from behind the arc and .838 from the charity stripe. He led his team in points per game, rebounds per game and was second in blocks per game. He was clearly the Mavs best player in the play offs. Dirk has no weakness. None.

McGrady had 27ppg 7.5rpg 1.5bpg 1.5spg 4.6apg .457 from the field .355 from the arc and .733 from the charity stripe. He led his team in points per game was second in rebounds per game second in assists per game second in both blocks and steals per game. He was clearly the best player on his team in the regular and post season. Tracy has no weakness. None.

The difference in my oppinion between Dirk and Tracy is that Dirk put his numbers up as the second option on his team. The Mavs were supose to be Finelys team not Dirks but Dirk is now clearly the best player on that team. Plus Dirk is a true 7 footer playing the small forward position and I think that alone causes mismatches that the 6'9" McGrady does not. Both players are unbaleivable so if you think McGrady is better that is fine but to imply that Dirk is not in his class is ludicrous. Both players will challange for league MVP next year. I do think that McGrady has a better shot at the mvp than Dirk because of the conference thay play in since the magic have a better chance of advancing to the finals than the Mavs. If the Mavs were in the east and the Magic in the west I would think Dirk has a better chance at the mvp.

3. I have Allen as a guard and Carter as a small forward. I did not rank the two against each other.

18. crash5179

BTW, Carter is not multi dementional he is a scorer. Period. Granted he me be the best scorer in the league but his defense is not very good and his rebounding is avg at best

19. Desert Scar

Crash, I did overlook you had Carter at SF thus not in comparison to Allen. I also agree that Carter is that multi-dimesional (say compared with Kobe and AI), but nonetheless can attack in more ways than Ray Allen.

I still don't think Dirk is in McGrady's class. The only clear edge I have Dirk over McGrady on is 3 point shooting. McGrady controls the flow of the offense much more than Dirk does and has a much greater defense impact. I think you underestimate how much having Finley and Nash really help Dirk, entire defenses try to contain McGrady and didn't have that much success. I think Dirk is in the class of SAR and Pierce--though I would take Dirk by a node over either and have him as a distant 2nd best at the 3 spot (if I had Carter at the 3, Dirk would be third best).