1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Mason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by booshan, Aug 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

He would not be a good fit.

3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Anthony Mason is a good talent. He's strong, among the best rebounders in the game, great ball-handler and passer for a big man, and doesn't need the ball all too much to be effective.

However, he is not a good fit with Houston. Forget the fact that he's been known to be a detriment to his past teams, or that he's aging rapidly. At 6'7', he's undersized to be a power forward, let alone to fit our needs for a center. With Mo T, Eddie and KennyT, we have enough worthy 4's. Mason's services would be be better suited elsewhere; perhaps Milwaukee or Philly.

Azim da Dream

4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

BRING ON ANTHONY MASON!! Lets sign him to a 1 year deal, $2-3 million. Lets arm him with a pair of brass knuckles, and a pistol to guard the lane.

Mason brings some toughness I feel the Rockets need. Way to many finesse players, and no nuetralizer to make the other team think twice before hacking Steve and the Cat.

So lets bring in either Mason, Mike Tyson or Mr. T!

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We need an enforcer but not Mason.

Agree with Azim...very well stated.

6. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

Bring Larry Smith out of retirement! I loved that guy.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If we could sign Mason at 3 mil, then I'm all for it. But he'll never accept that contract!!! Mas wants no less than a 7 mil deal and probably 3+ years. He was an all-star last season. :eek:

Not a good idea considering his age and attitude.

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

I say if we can get him cheap, then get him! Doesn't he have a house in h-town?

9. Franchisedream

I hope the Rockets do everything in their power not to get Anthony Mason. His attitude is detrimental, and he's past his prime. He thinks about his stats first and team second.

Even if he paid the Rockets 3 million, I would hope to keep him out of a Rockets uniform.

10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I would rather see Rasheed than Mase in PJ's.:p

Wait a minute--wallace grew up w/ Cuttino. They are the same age. Also in an internet chat Griff said that he modeled his game after Rasheed. Wallace has 2 years left on his deal probably won't resign with Quitten and tha boyz.

Taylor+cato :D 4 Rasheed

There. We dumped salary and most importantly Cato.
    CD I'm coming for your job.

PS:
    NBA leader in technical fouls
    1. wallace
    2. francis

11. JrocketB

JrocketB Member

Yeah. Let's bring in mase.

Just what Houston needs, another child molester.....

12. krosfyah

Wallace would be better than Mace but either one could contribute a lot. Mace is available now.

I'd be confident that Rudy could keep the team together with them one in the locker room.

But again, Mace isn't worth the money he wants...not to mention we don't have the cap space. So this is a moot conversation.

-krosfyah

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would be all for getting Mason. He may even be more valuable if Moochie is not re-signed. Mason has played Point Forward in the past so Cat could move to the point (when Stevie needed a blow) but Mason could run the offense insted of making Cat really change his game.
    Mason does have an attitude but we need toughness. It is worth the risk to me to sign him to a 1 Year deal for 5-6 mil. I would rathe rpay that for a tough forward than a backup PG (Moochie will probably get 4-4.5 mil).
    Bring him on!

14. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I think all this Mason talk is a little crazy and very unrealistic. Do ya'll really think he'll accept a backup role when he just came off an all-star season?

15. krosfyah

I think it is crazy too but crazier things have happened.

Mace would start at 4
    Cato - 5
    MayTa - 3
    Cat - 2
    Steve - 1

Then Rocks would have option to rotate Mace into 5 for injuries or give Cato his inevitable foul trouble releif.

Griffen comes in at 3 and move MoTay to 4 when Mace gets tired. At that age, he's not playing 35 m/g.

It sounds like a good rotation to me. And maybe Mace could harden up ol softy Cato in the process.

-krosfyah

16. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I would love to see Anthony Mason on this team. He can score great in the post, pass well in the post, and rebound the basketball. Just what we need!

17. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

krosfyah - you bring up a good point that I hadn't really thought of. I'd probably have Mace at the 3 though and keep MoT at the 4, if we were to get him. I still have doubts about whether we could pay him what he thinks he's worth though.

18. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I would hope that Mace and Griff don't do any gambling together. Some punches/b**** slaps might get thrown.

19. krosfyah

The more I think about this, the more probable it seems.

1.) Does Mace really have a house in HTown? If so, maybe he'd take a little less.

2.) Mace is the only impact player left out there. If Rocks could pick him up and keep the nucleus together....huh?

3.) Mace could fill in at 5 for stints. This way CD could have a good windfall for Cato without giving up the starting role thus admiting defeat.

4.) If Cato has a good season, then Rocks can field a strong team 1-5 spots. Plus have a very deep bench.

CONS:
    1.) Will Mace disrupt chemistry? Rudy is the best guy to keep things together.

2.) Can we afford him? Dunno. But my other thread, what if Rocks were willing to S/T Shandon for Mace w/ Heat. Others would have to be packaged to work (like KT) but it could work.

Is it crazy? Yes. But geting Barkley was a lot crazier...:eek:

-krosfyah

#19 krosfyah, Aug 9, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2001
  20. enbehay

enbehay Member

Anthony Mason? No. NO. NOOOO!! You know?