1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Firefox Extensions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by geeimsobored, Sep 3, 2006.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Wanted to start a thread on really good firefox extensions.. If people have any good suggestions please post.

I'll start. Extensions called DownThemAll. It's a download accelerator that splits downloads into 5 parts and downloads them simultaneously. It basically raised my dl speed from about 300 kb per second to almost 600 kb a second. Also, it allows you to pause downloads and has some other interesting features.

http://www.downthemall.net/

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

wow that looks awesome, I'm trying that out, but to answer your question I am using IE View(good for sites that don't work well with firefox) and free dictionary, which lets you highlight any word, right click, and it shows you the definition.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

4. ameet14

ameet14 Member

Foxytunes

This is the main reason i love firefox. Lets you control your media player while browsing and has keyboard shortcuts you can use to go to the next song/pause/volume. Really convenient.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Download Status bar- Lets you get rid of the d/l manager popup. You get all your d/ls on the bar at the bottom of the window.

IE View Lite- See above

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I love:

Forecast Fox -- unintrusive, simple weather in the browser
    Colorful Tabs -- I really like this one; it's simple, but makes it easier to navigate tons of tabs.
    Adblock Plus with Filterset.G -- ad-free browsing rules
    PasswordMaker -- has lots of options, but the idea is that it does a hash of your password with a site's url to give you a unique password for each site you visit . . . takes the first N characters of the hash and that becomes your password for that specific site . . . I *love* it
    del.icio.us -- easy tie-in to del.icio.us

I am in full agreement with geeimsobored on DownThemAll -- I love it!

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

A year or so ago someone posted a tweak that made firefox download pages almost instantly. You go into the registry and change the number of queries firefox makes or something like that. I had it and used it but lost it when I had a motherboard crash.

Anybody?

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I think you want FasterFox

9. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I use fasterfox on one of my computers and it doesn't seem to help much if any. I've been using it for about 4 months. It does have a counter that allows you to see how long it takes to download a page though. Staring at the seconds tick away doesn't help time fly. Note that I haven't done any tests on identical computers to verify whether or not it's actually faster. It just doesn't seem very noticeable to me.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

You mean this?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster

11. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

According to mozillazine, there have been some some reported unwanted side effects with fasterfox. You could always try FireTune. It has the advantage of allowing users to back up and restore previous settings. It rates quite well from both editors & users at downloads.com

Also, check out NoScript - it allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content only for trusted domains of your choice, e.g. your home-banking web site.

#11 Dark Rhino, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  12. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

I forgot to mention a few others. These extensions can prove to be most helpful when on the rare occasion firefox proves to less than helpful (i.e. corrupted profiles, crashes, etc.).

SessionSaver - restores your browser -exactly- as you left it, every startup, every time. Not even a crash will phase it.

FEBE - backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers.

CLEO - a Firefox extension that works with FEBE to package any number of extensions/themes into a single, installable .xpi file.

#12 Dark Rhino, Sep 4, 2006
  13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

CrashRecovery - like "SessionSaver" in the post above this, it restores all browser windows to exactly how they were before a crash/blackout. It even restores text you were typing (like this reply).

TemporaryInbox - ever wanted to register for a site that you know you will never ever use again? TemporaryInbox creates a button at the top of your browser that creates random (but unique) e-mail addresses for you. The addresses are all _________@temporaryinbox.com, and once you use the e-mail to register somewhere, you just go to the website and login using the first part of the e-mail as a password. The address automatically terminates itself 6 hours after creation. I haven't used it a lot yet, but what an awesome option to have at your disposal.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I use something similar that I find much easier. There's an extension called bugmenot that automatically generates a username and password for the website you're logging into. No registration is needed.

http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/02/07/bugmenot

15. Omer

Omer Member

FoxyTunes is hot, I also have FlashGet and VideoDownloader.

16. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I posted this in my effort to derail Faos' thread a couple days ago (sorry about that, man), but since it's on topic now I'll post it in here guilt-free:

TabMixPlus - Allows you to completely customize the behavior of links, popups, external applications and such as they pertain to opening tabs. Also allows saving of closed tabs so you can re-open them via middle-click. Has built-in "session saver" and "crash recovery". Makes the tabs scrollable by hovering your pointer over the tab bar and using the mouse's scroll wheel. It basically gives you a third button to explore the web with.

VideoDownloader - Lets you download videos from YouTube, Google, etc. straight to your hard disc. Simply click the icon at the bottom of the page.

DictionarySearch - Search an online dictionary of your choice via the right-click context menu. Highlight a word you don't know and right-click.

Fasterfox - Optimizes all of the browser's connection settings.

OpenDownload - Overrides Firefox's built-in safety mechanism that doesn't allow a downloaded executable to be launched. It gives you the option of installing programs without saving them first.

SearchEngineOrdering - Allows you to re-order your search engines (You can download more by clicking the down-arrow in the Google search box at the top-right). Also allows you to create a new search engine simply by right-clicking the search box and telling it to "add search engine". For instance, I have a built-in search engine for Clutchfans BBS now.

ImageZoom - Gives you a right-click submenu that will zoom into any image on the web as far as you'd like ((p*rn)). Also, you can hover over an image and hold down the right mouse button while scrolling the mouse wheel and it will zoom in and out accordingly.

AllowRightClick - Overrides the scripts in pages that won't let you access the context menu for items in the page. For instance, if a site has images that it won't let you save, you can now.

SmoothWheel - Makes the mouse wheel's page-scrolling much smoother by allowing you to set the intervals at which the browser's built-in "smoothscroll" feature scrolls webpages.

#16 DallasThomas, Sep 4, 2006
  17. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

could of been nice is you added links of where to go... :)

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Faster Fox & Forecast Fox are my 2 faves. I have more (like IE tab, etc.)

19. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Good idea - I went back and put links in my post even though you were half-kidding.

:)

20. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Mouse. Gestures.