1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Writing on The Wall From the Word GO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Franchisedream

First of all the instances here don't mean Hakeem didn't care. It means that Hakeem has a different style of leadership. It's fine if you prefer Charles'. I think the quiet leader by example, and the vocal motivator who backs it up, are both good types of leaders to have on a team. It doesn't mean one cared more than another.

As far as Dream helping people on the team, he has helped almost every big man the Rockets have had. Ask Harrington! Because he is quiet and more reserved doesn't make him less of a leader.

Dream also didn't alienate teammates. He doesn't have any sort of a reputation as being someone that no one gets along with. While he may not be everybody's best buddie, Hakeem hasn't had any real problems with anybody. Again this fact leads to the conclusion that the guy is more reserved. Big deal.

As far as the Pat Riley comment, that was blown up by the media, and Hakeem had the class to go above and beyond the call of duty and call Rudy T on the radio to make sure things were cool between them.

2. Franchisedream

Well first of all like I said before Barkley was a good motivator, and Hakeem just had a different style. I don't see anything wrong with either of them. But in fairness, Hakeem isn't going to be yelling at people and doesn't have the drill seargent persona that Barkley can. That's the way it is but not a fault of the Dream's.

I must contradict you and say that Dream was known for teaching and showing the Rockets big men moves, and seemed to relish doing so very much. Harrington spoke of this more than once.

Also Clyde doesn't have that reputation at all. There were a couple of people in Portland, mostly not even teammates that he didn't get along with, and then he and Barkley had some problems. That doesn't make him a complete a$$hole. That line was a gross exaggeration and overstatement. Also if Barkley and Drexler did have disagreements look at Drexlers mouth and look at Barkley's mouth, and it's hard to put the lion's share of the blame on Drexler. Even Francis said at first that he hated Barkley. Later he came to love him, but that's the way it is.

Mainly though, I don't know why there is a point in saying only one was great and another wasn't. They were both great, and Barkley changed a lot of his negatives while he was a Rocket and brought a lot of his positives with him. Hakeem was underpaid for much of his career, and recently was overpaid to try and compensate, and while he had his problems, he went above and beyond the call of duyt a number of times, always worked hard at developing new moves to add to his repetoire, helped tutor the big men, and was the focal point in two championships!

It doesn't have to be one or the other. They are both great.

P.S. The Freak- keep on with those great posts. You provide a lot of sound arguments

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Man, you have no idea. People(especially in Houston) are so quick to jump someone's ass for being outspoken and a free spirit if you will. Barkley did not harm the Rockets organization. If anything, he saved them from another embarassing playoff ousting. Sure, he liked to run his trap, but he more than backed it up on the court. When Barkley came aboard, the Rockets desperately needed a firey personality that could take the Rockets to the next level. Dream has never been a firey personality, nor has Drexler. Mario was a good motivator, but could easily get frustrated. Barkley was the battler this team needed and he sacrificed, just as much as our beloved Hakeem and Cylde did to make this team better.

Why we are even talking about someone who hasn't played with us in years is beyond me. Hakeem sold us out for money. Thats the bottom line. It wasn't for a chance to win or to be more involved in the overall team concept. He wanted another fat paycheck. Well, Hakeem, I hope you enjoy the numbers on that contract because that is all you'll have. You'll never have the love of the fans like you had in Houston.

4. Franchisedream

It bears mentioning here that while it wasn't a pay cut, Hakeem was underpaid for at least half of his career. True in an effort to make up for that the Rockets overpaid him for two years. But again Barkley got that same overpay treatment afterwards as well.

5. Thanos

Thanos Member

Wait a minute Freak. In one post you say this...

and then, you say this?

You either are sentimental or not. My guess is that you obviosuly are, and you admitted so. All of us are. Blinded by sentiment? Who is the blind one here? My sentimentality for Hakeem makes me feel hurt by his actions. Yours, on the other hand, is actually far great than mine, so great, that you are willing to make excuses for his behavior.

For a guy that prides on logic as you do, it makes no sense to say that sentimentality is what sports are all about in one post and then try to dispute the arguments that people can have against Hakeem (myself included) because their sentimentality for the Rockets outshines their sentimentality for Hakeem and because he failed to appreacite how much he means to this city and organization...

He expected a world of loyalty out of Houston and yet, he showed none whatsoever to the Rockets. Yeah, Barkley trashed the Suns after they shopped him around. SO what, it was his right to demand a trade. They shopped him! WE didn't shop Hakeem.

who's more sentimental? People that come up with lame excuses for everything he does or people that crucify him for failing to live up to THEIR sentimentality over him?

Seems to me that the people who think that he can do no wrong are a helluva lot more sentimental.... and therefore...blind.

nuff said.

#65 Thanos, Aug 7, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2001
  6. RaptorsDynasty

"It bears mentioning here that while it wasn't a pay cut, Hakeem was underpaid for at least half of his career. True in an effort to make up for that the Rockets overpaid him for two years"

-Those 2 years were part of a 5 yr, 55 MIL contract Hakeem signed in 95. The next year, Shaquille ONeal who was schooled by Hakeem in the Finals, signed a 7 yr deal for $105 MIL and David Robinson signed an extension the same year Hakeem did for slightly more money. So, as the premier Center in the NBA at the time, Hakeem was still not the highest paid Center.

-As for Barkley, his arrival ruined the Rockets. The man played absolutely zero defense and single handedly forced Clyde Drexler into retirement when Drexler still had plenty of game left.

People love to talk about "Barkley helped Houston beat Seattle" but never mention that the Rockets OWNED the Jazz pre-Barkley, especially in the playoffs, and then lost the Jazz back to back years w/ Barkley. If he had just played Karl Malone to a standoff, the Rockets win the series, but Barkley was not up to the task.

If only the guy had worked on his defense and ego (never getting along w/ teammates, jacking up stupid 3's) as much as he did yapping his big mouth, he'd have rings. As MJ once said about Barkley, he just didn't have the work ethic to ever win a ring. Funny guy, but yes he definitely ruined the Rockets after arriving. Without Horry and Cassell, the Rockets were not the same team defensively and were not as clutch.

And the reason the Rockets did beat Seattle was that Hakeem passed the ball much better in 97 out of the triple teams than he did in 96 and because Matt Maloney was draining 3's left and right. Barkley was the second best PF on the court that series, he was outplayed by Shawn Kemp. Don't give him credit for something he didn't do.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Raptorsdynasty-
    1st of all great name. I guess dynasty doesn't translate well in Canada. Here a dyansty means championships. I guess there a dynasty is just keeping your franchise in town. Oh well but now back to your post.
    CB4 has always been a favorite of his teammates. There have been a couple of exceptions but it was usually because teammates had a hard time with them losing their leadership roles (Clyde, Mario, and to some extent KJ in Phoenix). So for you to say to check his ego, well do your homework.
    As far as playing no D and taking ill-advised shots, well I think your "Dynasty" has someone named VC who has the same reputation. maybe you should get rid of VC, he is ruining your franchise. People can complain as much as they want about CB4's D, but I've never saw too many 6'5 forwards who were man enough to D up on Shaq or Dream. No he wasn't very succesful in stopping either but at least he was man enough to take his lumps. Maybe the C-Webbs of the world ould learn to be a better teammate like CB4.
    Also you fail to note that in the Jazz series that CB4 was totally outplaying Karl until his shoulder was hurt.
    And Kemp outplaying CB4? You must remember differently than me. Guess Seattle figured that he was so great that it was time to trade him to Cleveland. CB4 always matched up well with Kemp and to say other wise is like saying...Raptorsdynasty
    :D

8. Franchisedream

Raptors I only mention the two years, because I don't think he was overpaid at all for the other three years of that contract. I also didnt' mean to insinuate that Hakeem was the highest paid center. The point I was making was actually that while Hakeem didn't take a pay cut, he did play for under his value, which still allowed the Rockets to sign contracts that they wouldn't have been able to sign otherwise.

The point about the Jazz during the Chuck years is a valid one. Though the Rockets were winning that series until Charles got injured. That one hurt. Anyway, I still don't see the need for anyone to compare. The situation doesn't call for an either Hakeem, or Charles type of decision. They were both great Rockets and brought different things to the team.