1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ilegal immigrant topics (again)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rodrick_98, Aug 23, 2006.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

2 news stories takin place up here in the big D.

#1: Migrant care costing millions
    :eek:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082306dnmetparkland.3489b1a.html

and

#2: Residents clash over illegal immigrant plan
    Farmers Branch: Backers cite quality of life; foes call measures racist
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/082206dnmetfbimmigration.3094b5c.html

i couldn't agree more with the proposals in FB... thats my neighboring city, hopefully carrollton will adopt these measures. also, i read all 48 or whatever pages of the protest thread, and i don't understand how you are going to call this racist.

*edit* this story out of Htown
    Immigration Sweep nets 326 arrests in area
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4135099.html

#1 rodrick_98, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They paid for it and someone complains when they use it. WTF?

How about this instead:

#1 Poor people care costing millions

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Clarifications
    Does Illegal = Criminal? I know it at least means NOT LEGAL

If you are here . . . not legally . . . beyond basic human rights
    why should someone here illegally have the same rights as someone
    here legally?

I think
    If you are here illegally you should be pressured to become legal
    or to leave. If the pressure is a whole lot of inconviences and difficulties
    such as you cannot get an apt, medical care, etc
    well
    If you want those things. . become legal

It is that simple to me. . . Become LEGAL or Leave

Rocket River

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Life in the poverty of Mexico and Central America sucks. If I lived that way and had children, I'd do the exact same thing. If that makes me an awful, horrible person then I'm guilty as charged.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Max ? do we not have poverty here in the US already .I'm not saying these are horrible people but breaking the laws of this country is not right these people are getting help that most American can't get .

6. rocketsinsider

alright switch the Hispanics with Middle Easterners, would we still be having soo many arguing against enforcing laws?

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You can't really blame the illegal immigrants. I'm sure most people here wouldn't be above breaking the law if it meant survival. The real blame is on the American government that is practially placing a welcome mat at the border, and the Mexican Governement (and Central America, to a lesser extent) for dumping all their poor people in America so they don't have to deal with them.

Welcome to Los Estados Unidos...

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Max is exactly right. People want to improve their lives, there is nothing wrong with that. The best way to solve this situation is to have the Mexico government improve the economic situation in Mexico so their citizens would not have to come to the US. If you think the politicians are useless in the US, the Mexican politicians are 100 times worse!

9. Major

Major Member

like what?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just ANNEX Mexico....make them a part of the Union.....problem SOLVED !

DD

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Umm, If that was the case, US should annex the whole Africa too. I am sure people there would eagerly embrace the hand outs US could provide. :eek:

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought NAFTA and other free trade agreements were supposed improve the economies of Mexico, and countries in Central America, and South America. Instead, it looks like economic conditions in these regions have deteriorated, hence the increase in illegal immigration. The only two things that will significantly decrease the flow of immigrants into the U.S. will be improving economies in the countries to our south and employer enforcement in the U.S.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Irrelevent - I doubt anyone said they horrible people
    only that they are illegal

I stole bread because I was hungry . . does that justify the theft?
    Does that make the theft Right? If that bread made others hungry
    . .and I took it because I was hungry . . . .make them less hungry
    . . does it make me right . . . less right?

Rocket River

14. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

There was a recent episode of "30 Days" (from the guy who did "Super Size Me") where a volunteer border patrol guy lived with an illegal immigrant family in LA for 30 days.

The border patrol guy stayed firm in his beliefs that the law is the law and that it applies to everyone. He sympathized with the family's situation but would not back off on his beliefs.

It was a good family. Hard working father, very bright daughter who wants to go to college, etc... Anyway, the father was explaining their situation and why they chose to come here. Talked about poverty and how they have not been able to visit their family back in Mexico for fear of being caught and deported.

The father challenged border patrol guy to go to Mexico and stay with his family for a week to see what their lives were like.

Long story short... border patrol guy got to experience the poverty, saw where the family used to live (house with 3 walls and no roof), and all that.

By the end of the show, or 30 days rather, he confessed that if he were in the same situation that he would have done the same thing to protect his family and to make their lives better.

While he remained a volunteer border patrol, he said that he could no longer work on the "front line" or whatever, that he would help in some other capacity.

Very eye-opening episode.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Comparing apples to oranges.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Social sevices, health care etc.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The myth of the welfare queen rides again.

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

I'm a conservative and all for more lenient immigration policies. However, there are some side effects that have to be considered.

Increasing the supply of cheap, unskilled labor will invariably increase unemployment (especially for the working class), and put downward pressure on wages. That is just a reality. Measures to hike up wages such as a minimum wage law will only increase the unemployment rate and raise the cost of goods. There really is no way around it. You can't expect to increase the labor supply without some harmful (albeit short-term?) side effects.

A line perhaps should be drawn over any tax-payer funded public services that illegals may have access too. We've all heard horror stories of emergency room closing down because of influxes of poor people who can't afford to pay the bills (a large percentage of them with "documents"). What do we do? Would a public health care system (which I am against) encompass illegals too? There crazy talk here in California about free auto-insurance for illegals (as well as drivers licenses).

All that being said - it is horribly difficult for me to deport poverty-stricken people who are here to work and improve their llives.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Poverty in the US and poverty in Mexico/Central America are VASTLY different. People living in "poverty" in the US are seen as living in the lap of luxury by people living in poverty south of our border.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

That was a fantastic show. The hovel in which the family lived in Mexico was scary.