1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs. USA : World Championship Game

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by airbulllard, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Thanks man. See, that's Dirk.

2. skywater

skywater Member

3. pearlon

pearlon Member

How many turnovers did Yao have. What was the shooting percentages for the rest of the team for China? Thanks.

4. compucomp

compucomp Member

This is a sound argument to keep Yao out of the game... until you consider the fact that a propensity to give up when faced with adversity and lack of fire are well known problems of the CNT. Keeping Yao out of the game would just have made it worse. We know Yao isn't going to give up, he's never going to go down quietly; and he didn't, he gave his all until the refs told him to take a seat.

Yes, rationally you would want to keep Yao on the bench but given this mentality of the CNT I completely understand why Jonas sent Yao back out in the 4th quarter.

Oh on a side note, if Chen Jianghua doesn't receive proper coaching he will be the worst ballhog of all time. He will make Francis look like Nash. His shot selection was beyond atrocious.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I watched the first half and skipped the second. So I don't know what happened in the second half.

I thought refs did OK in the first half. There were 2 or 3 times the ball was stripped from Yao and Refs gave him the benefit of calls, turning turnovers to FTs. IMO, NBA refs won't make those calls.

Yao played OK but his condition still need improve a little bit.

I think he will get 22pts 10 rebs in the new season.

6. sgm

sgm Member

WOW! So close! The win counts! BTW,whom did U bet with? ;)

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

What you think is that Yao Ming will make ZERO improvement over last season, is that correct?? :p

8. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Espn is doing their usual Yao trashing. Saying Yao is non-exist in the game. But watching the game, I thought Yao is doing ok.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

HAIL KING YAO !!!!

ANYONE HAS TORRENT??? ;)

10. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Well, I guess that nowaday any < 30 pts game for Yao is "non-exist" :D

11. compucomp

compucomp Member

Boxscore from FIBA:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06...D=3507&selNodeID=626&competitionCode=&season=

Clearly PF and Assists were swapped for no apparent reason. There is no possible way Chris Paul can accumulate 8 personal fouls. Yao had 21/10/3 assists/2 blocks.

Yes, ESPN's article was not terribly complimentary towards Yao, but what the heck can you say positive about China when they were beat by 32, and the score doesn't even show how lopsided the game was? USA could have won by 50 or 60 if they wanted. At least the article insinuated the performance was not really Yao's fault at all.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Is anyone else glad that Yao is knocking the rust off in the WC, so he is more than ready to go for the regular season?

I mean he looks good, but he is going to look better come October.

DD

13. Champ06

Champ06 Member

This just incredible. Did they even watch the game? Yao was left out by his own guards and the even struggled to bring the ball up the court. At one stage, four straight turnovers.

14. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Obviously they didn't. One of the reasons Yao making only one field goal was because USA team was hecking him like he was Shaq under the basket. They seemed to overlook from the box score that Yao was on the FT line 13 times. More than the total of the rest of CNT.

15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

And of course, ESPN neglected to mention that Yao got fouled almost every time he went up for a basket, so his stat from the free throw line is 11-13.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Now they are saying:

"Yao led China with 21 points, but the Americans made him work for all of them. He had only one field goal in the first half, when the game was decided, and finished 5-of-8 from the field before fouling out with 6:08 remaining."

So basically at team USA's mercy, Yao got his chance to pad his stats in the second half, aka the garbage time. Nice.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He had 10 points in the first quarter, Yao was open - WIDE OPEN - under the basket a LOT, but they shot 3pters instead. No big deal really though, China is trying to get some experience for their young team.

DD

18. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Here is a quote from US coach, Mike Krzyzewski.
    Link= http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/08/20/badsketball.worlds.reut/

19. skywater

skywater Member

20. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

I only watched the first half, but from a what I saw Yao was pretty impressive, especially considering he's not at full strength. He was very aggressive in the low post and looked very confident. He did seem to get tired towards the end of the first half, but I guess that should be expected due to the injury. The main reasons you didn't see Yao put up better numbers was the US defense and the inferior Chinese guards. As soon as Yao got the ball in the post the US would bring someone from the weak side to double him, making it difficult for him to get clean looks at the basket. China's perimeter players had no chance against the more athletic US guards. It would often take them 5-8 seconds to get the ball across half court and once they did get into a half court set they had trouble finding Yao.

In general I think Yao played really well, given that it was pretty much one on five. Nobody can guard him one on one and his baseline hook is virtually unstoppable. There's no reason he shouldn't dominate this season.