1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Game is virtually over.......

Brazil basically thrashed China in 3Q. China was 6 points behind by 1H. But the Brazil just ran over the Chinese with some tight defense and quick fast breaks. 3Q ended....and it is already 75 vs 51....24 points behind now.

Chinese players just had too little no-ball movement. And there is no penetration, and too slow in moving the ball up the court.

Yao Ming got very little supply.....and virtually no help defense under the low post. 4 fouls now. On the brink of being fouled out. But he got 14 points now, I think.

2. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Not trying to blame Yao or anything, since he obviously is still rusty and not up to game condition. But it's not fair to totally blame on "no support" on his teammates. I lost count how many TO Yao had, but more than half is his own fault, like lose the board after Brasil's free show...

3. pryuen

Game ended. Maybe the hole was already too deep by the end of 3Q and the Brazillians just slowed down and took it easy. China got on a run of 12 or 14 ~ 0 run in 4Q after some decent defense led by Yi Jianlian and Yao Ming. The final score 88 ~ 78, a 10-point loss, at least not a disgraceful loss.

In this game, Chian outrebounded and out-assisted the Brazillians, and had higher FG% and 3-pointer%. But I guess the problem lies in China has just too many unforced turnovers..... 23 vs 8, and they could not defend against the lightning fast Brazillian guards, in particular, Barbosa who scored a game-high 20 points.

Y Jianlian got his well-deserved double-double, 19 points/12 rebounds/2 block/1 assist. Yao Ming was 16 points (7/11 FG% 2/3 FT%)/6 rebounds/1 assist for 24 minutes of play. Wang Zhizhi was obviously not ready but he scored 6 points, all from 3-pointers, and got 5 rebounds in 19 minutes of play.

Here is the BOX SCORE of this game.

4. pryuen

Well you're right. Yao Ming is still very rusty. He got 8 turnovers, mostly on missing some bad passes from his team mates, or failing to grab his rebounds firmly and got snatched from behind.

5. yeo

yeo Member

Yup, let's be honest with ourselves, Yao sucked in this game, turnovers, couldn't hold his position on the block, and couldn't catch a defensive rebound to save his life. But, since this is only his second game back, we will let him slide on this one.

Chen the wonder kid came back down to earth too, showing that he is after all only a 17-year-old kid. But I still think he deserves a ticket to Japan, if only to give him more seasoning. He is a big part of China's basketball future.

The other wonder boy Yi was wonderful. I think he was the highest scorer for China, and he was a rebounding machine. Lottery pick, no doubt! And I think he is a much better complement to Yao than Wang is.

Wang wasn't really ready to play. He was just out there to warm up.

Another young Chinese pg, Zhang Qing Peng, who came on in the 4th to fuel the big rally, was also impressive. Deadly three point shooter and good handles. With him, Chen, and a couple of other kids I have heard about, China has got a good crop of young pgs coming up. They are just too young still.

6. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Any torrents for this game? thanks!

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about Yao. He clearly looked like he was running half speed, Still at times favoring his good foot as not to reinjure the other. Also he is still not in shape and seems mostly out there to get the game experience. I am not saying he isn't trying but he is putting his best effort maybe 80%. By World championships I expect him to be 90% and he will get better from then on.

8. dfwrox

Zhang Songtao did not play in this game... Is he the odd man out??

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

LOL, same typical Yao turnover, from Houston Rocket to Chinese National team. :)

10. vizier

vizier Member

watch out for yi jian lian to make his name in the coming world champianship.

11. yeo

yeo Member

On the other hand, gotta give props to the Brazilians. Since I couldn't really tell who is who on the small PPstream screen (except Varejau with his big hair :D ) I cann't comment on them individually. But as a team, man they are good, constant motion on the offense, good hard pressure trapping defense, I can see why they are the South American Champions ahead of Argentina and why they gave the USA so much trouble.

12. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Yes, I agree. Yao seemed like a step too slow in almost everything he do on court against Brazil. I will take Yao words that he needed games' practise to get from 80% to 100%.

Hopefully by the end of the World Championship, Yao will be 100% ready for Rockets coming season in NBA. I don't know why, but I'm more exciting thinking about the coming season than the World Championship. :)

13. yeo

yeo Member

One more thing, watching Yi operate next to Yao, you can see what the Rockets had envisioned last year when they got Stromile Swift. :( Yi is the Stromile Swift who might actually work out.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn't see Yao and Swift play together enough to say they weren't a good pair.

15. dfwrox

If anything, the World Championship actually helps Yao in his recovery (as long as he does not get reinjured, knock on the wood).

16. skywater

skywater Member

No, Xie and Gong would be the 2 men out of the final roster. Zhang was needed to be a backup for Yao and Wang who had just recovered from injure and not in good condition.

17. pryuen

NO. The deadline for submission of the final roster for every team is August 17.

But in the latest articles of sina.com, sohu.com and tom.com, probably from the same source, it was said that CBA commissioner Li Yuanwei sort of disclosed to Carl Cheng Manki, FIBA Secretary General that Chen Jianghua will be in the final roster, and the odd men out are the other 2 young guards of Zhang Qingpeng and Xie Libin.

So CBA finally yielded to some public pressure in this inclusion of Chen Jianghua into the final roster.

IMHO, both Zhang and Xie seemed much mature than Chen, and have nicer ball handing, composure, great court vision, better shot selection and not as hard-headed and selfish as Chen. But of course they lack the speed, courage and never-say-die spirit of Chen. If I have to choose, I'd rather keep Zhang Qingpeng and drop GongSonglin, who did very little in these exhibition games in Europe and the FIBA Stankovic Championship, as I believe he is still struggling from his knee injury.

18. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

When is China's next game and who do they play?

19. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

Against the Aussies, two days later.

20. cwww

cwww Member

I don't really agree with you on this... Chen Jianghua and Xie Libin are about the same age and Zhang Qingpeng is only one or two years older than them, only thing is that Zhang has more CBA experience, but that doesn't really help much don't you think?

I agree that Zhang is one of the better young point guards in China, but Xie seems more like a combo guard to me, and shouldn't be one of them fighting for the last position at the PG position. In terms of ball handling, court vision and shot selection, I also don't see how he's better than Chen.

Xie should be the one competing with Gong instead, Xie seems to be more energetic on the court, but Gong has the height advantage and has more international game experience than Xie, so I think Gong would make the roster.

IMO Xie is definitely out of the final roster cut, now the other player to be cut should be one of these three players: Chen Jianghua, Zhang Songtao or Sun Yue (since he didn't have good performance in these preparation games)

Alright I'm just guessing...