1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Children Today: Soft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Brilliant post.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I don't have kids.

Anyway, while it's true that every generation criticizes the one before it - that doesn't mean that the criticisms aren't true. Maybe every generation is justified in criticizing the one before it.

I think the 'softness' of modern kids is not so much a 'modern' phenomena - I believe it has much more to do with social/economic classes than any sort of change over time. Middle and upper class kids are always far more coddled and protected than their lower class counterparts.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The kids today who are good athletes are doing crazier things than kids in my day (running faster/dunking earlier/ triple kickflips/ etc.), but overall kids today are too restricted with all the extra safety etc.

I'm not sure anyone can seriously argue that kids today in general aren't a bit chubbier than they were 20-30 years ago. That's not old guys reliving the glory days -- that's fast food on every corner for the current generation.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It's all about the cpu and computer games. And it's only going to get worse (or better?). We are creating virtual reality nurseries and playrooms. We might not even have a need for our little happy suburban oasis in the near future.

Ray Bradbury anyone?

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'd be curious to know how many of you actually have kids. Not that I do not agree with some of the sentiments expressed here (to a degree) but once you become a parent, your "gung-ho-feed-the-kid-gun-powder-and-pass-the-ammunition" attitiude will most likely moderate. Either way, good luck with that and keep your young sociopath-in-waiting away from my kid.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree with the sentiment of the thread. I don't have kids. But when I do, I have no doubt that I won't let them be "soft"..to a degree. For example, I will definitely let my kid eat some dirt and whatever. I mean some discretion is necessary, but I'm a big proponent of building immunity to things, especially in this day and age when anti-bacterial soap is everywhere and causing bigger and badder bacteria to come up.

But I'll have to find a safe neighborhood somewhere, cause damned if I'm gonna let my kid go play outside in a very unsafe place by him/herself.

Completely agree w/RR on the physical pain working later as strength to stand on in mental situations. Though he said it better than I did. But falls, bumps, bruises, tackles...need to happen while the bones are still flexible and even if broken, won't be bad to fix. Kids need to grow up and not be afraid of a *little* pain--mental or physical. That's how you build a 3rd baseman who will get his body in front of the ball ;) ("C'mon Dorn, don't gimme that o-LE bulls***")

7. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

The funny thing is that 50 years from now the talk will be about how tough kids were that grew up around the turn of the century. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i checked with my kids and they said you're all dorks. :D

9. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Is it just me, or do kids not play outside like they use to. when i grew up it seemed like there were always kids outside all over everyday.......Playing basketball, hide and go seek, etc. Is this the case or am i just out of the 'kid loop' these days.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Can you believe that the daycare my wife where used to work removed the swings (therefore removing the chance of the kids learning the 15' jump you mention) because, according to the director, it didn't induce the kids to "learn anything" or "involve them in anything". What a crock.
    No te creo, Master. Espero que no sigas trabajando en Pappasito's. Pero, estoy de acuerdo, necesitamos más "PE" y menos mariconeadas. :cool:
    I agree with El Muchacho Gallina. Your posts on this thread alone are full of truth, Rocket River. I am off to feed my two girls the rust off the hose. BRB
    I couldn't read any of your otherwise sense-making post (now I will never know) after I read this bull you compared. Oh, I am sorry, man. Where else can I post from if not a computer? Please point it out to me. ;)

Don't worry, I know what you mean.

Being behind a computer does not make me soft or my kids soft. It gives me the chance to speak out on things like this that Rocket River brings out. I have plenty of input because I was brought up during HARD TIMES in MEXICO and I have made it further than most. While not a bully and "maybe" soft as some may say, I disagree with all this PADDING, OUTLAWING DODGEBALL, giving BAND-AIDs for every nick and cut. It's pathetic, man.

As soon as my girls hear me say something like: "Hey! Let's go outside and...[play baseball | ride bikes | toss the ball | kick the soccer ball | play tag ] !!", they're off and running. I am so effin' proud of that sh*t.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

(Nods)

If kids today are soft, then doesn't that mean that parents today are soft too. So all those "tough kids" from way back when grew up to be coddling softies of today.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's funny about all this "back in my day" reminiscing is that the big, tough, brawny, lumberjack kids of yesteryear are the ones raising the kids of today... so what does that tell you about the upbriniging of the parents of today who were the kids of yesterday? They're raising the wusses of today... so blame yourselves! :D

*EDIT* : sunuvabiskit, m_cable beat me to it... grrr...

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You guys sound like a bunch of grandpas screaming, "Damn kids! Get outta my yard!" This is the third time I've posted this in a month: you guys can b**** about ANYTHING. :)

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Back in my day, Swoly, all we had was a broken pinata (sorry this computer doesnt have the tilde) to play around with. There was no string to tie it to the tree. It just sat there on the ground, and we took turns hitting it with a stick.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sorry . . . . .
    I need to post ANOTHER WHAT IS IN YOUR CD PLAYER Threat
    What is the Hangout but a place to drop random thoughts
    on the state of the world . . .and see what others think on it

BTW
    Kids wouldn't be in the yard . . .
    they would be in someone's den . . .

unless of the course . . . . it was a SIMS yard

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not Necessarily
    Dr Spock and various CPS actions/Laws
    have made the social ramifications of 'harder love' . . well harder

I mean . .your kid comes in with 'too many' bruises
    and CPS is in your life. .. and they hard to get out

In fact . . . Kids have more rights and say than you
    They say you did it. . . .you did it .. until you prove otherwise

Honestly. . .
    we are a throw the baby out with the bath water society
    a Kid bruised on the knee . .. we remove the whole park
    a kid has an ******* as a parent. . .. then we make every parent pay for it

The government tells you how to raise you kid
    then
    wants to hold you responsible for the results
    how generous of them

there is a bunch of laws, ordinances, etc that contribute to
    the delinquency/softness of the minors

Rocket River

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You're talking about a small extreme part of the spectrum. I mean, kids having bruises and such, and then having to face CPS action. Is that really such a common place situation. It's something that might get a lot of attention if hidden video hits the local/national news but does it happen that frequently. I'm sure the number of kids that are really abused, far, far outnumbers the number of kids that get taken away from their parents unfairly.

And even if it is a case of Dr. Spock and CPS and the government being in charge of the downfall of the "tough kid", aren't they parents as well. Aren't those officials and authority figures, in the same generation as today's parents. As your generation. If you encompass the kids of today as an entire entity then you need to recognize that all of their parents and all the other adult figures that are shaping their lives are the exact "back in the day" kids that you are so lamentful at having gone away.

And regarding childhood obesity. Last I checked, 2/3 of all American ADULTS are overweight, and 1/3 of American ADULTS are obese. Aren't those the exact "tough kids" that used to play outdoors and were active and all that jazz. So is childhood obesity really the result of video games, or is it because their parents are also fat?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No doubt
    However it has caused a atmosphere of Fear among adults
    Look at the lady with her kid at the grocery store a year or so back
    That turned into a National man hunt
    the concensus was there was NOTHING that child could have done
    to warrent what happened. . it was not even a question asked

Growing up . . you f*cked around in the store
    ya parent spanked you . . and it was done
    such action would put CPS in your life now
    not to mention being a social Pariah

We also live in a society that convinced us that we all f*cked up in
    some type of way.
    that is every commercial etc
    Remember the 80s when everyone's problems was because
    dad didn't hug them enough
    etc
    I am not letting these parents off the hook
    in fact
    that is who this is about . . . the parents
    They are the ones Coddling them
    they are the ones ALLOWING this to happen

there are various reason from societal changes in parenting attitudes
    to Laws and law enforcement and cps
    to folx being so into themselves they forget their kids

It is not so much about Obesity
    even though that IMO a side effect of it

Kids not playing outside
    Kids not allowed to play 'rough games'
    This is in schools mainly . .. . [when I sid Outlaws i was exaggerating]
    Kids simply have become more sedentary indoor types

Rocket River

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ever wish you could go back in time?? i'd take state.

[​IMG]

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Was that everyone's problem in the 80's?

Hmm... would explain the pop culture of that era....