1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Devean George to the Mavericks for LLE ($1.2 million)?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

Actually, its not either. Its the rest of the MLE that they gave to Buckner.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

7 and 4 guy at best, shaky jumper, hounded for lack of focus and dedication under Phil. Nagging ankle problems.

On the flipside, he's being had for bread crumbs, he's wearing rings, he's been taught by the best. I'm with those lementing that we couldn't nab him for $1.5 of our MLE or TE. Yes, George isn't much to talk about, neither is a guy like KVH. But take an honest look at our roster. We've got embarassing depth, and only 3 players that would be starters on almost any other team in the league. We're trying out undrafted DL players to plug holes. This roster is in shambles, and a guy like George would be an upgrade.

Evan

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Devean George peaked as a player 4 years ago. Pass.

4. BullRider

BullRider Member

get off your buttocks carroll!! even dallas is whooping our off season and they did not have a lottery pick!!!

5. Laozi

Laozi Member

Simply, you assume too much. Just because I don't think much of George and I don't think every player that another team acquires "should have been on the Rockets" doesn't mean I have blind loyalty to any member of the Rockets organization. Truthfully though if it came down to getting V-Span or getting George I'd go for V-Span everytime, atleast he has a chance of helping the Rockets eventually.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Solid backup for cheap, in NBA terms...We should be all over someone like that...

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Solid signing, and there's no reason we shouldn't have been after him.

At the very least, he is a known commodity that can shoot, slash, and defend. He's slipped recently, but he was very good in the post-centered offense with Shaq. Don't see why he couldn't reproduce those stats in a Yao-centered offense.

I just took a glance at his stats, and his shooting stats aren't what I thought they would be, but, still, I would take him. Our depth is embarassing. The Mavs' have third-stringers that would challenge for a starting spot on our team on pure talent alone.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yep. Depth like a huge donut. The bigger it gets, the deeper the hole in the middle is. :)

I'm not afraid of Dallas.

9. josh123

josh123 Member

it helps Dallas....but not much...not much at all

10. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

he is not that good no more. Even laker fans dont mind lossing him.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Did anybody see that the Kings had signed John Salmons? That's interesting since they have Martin and Garcia at the swing positions along with Artest. Does this mean they are letting Bonzi walk? Signing him would push their payroll over lux tax big time and besides how would they give 5 guys enough minutes? Can't see Salmons just playing backup PG for them.

12. kobefor3ITSGOOD

This is good for the Lakers. They don't really need him anyways. George hasn't really done much since the championship days except hit a few 3s here and there when he's not injured. I don't think George is much of an upgrade of Keith Van Horn and if anything is a downgrade, but he is cheaper.

13. rserina

rserina Member

All this over Devean George? The guy is decent and he would be a great backup three, but the Mavs already have one of those in Stackhouse.

I for one get tired of the Dallas-obssession. As I've posted elsewhere, there team is built horrendously. Their contracts and drafting have been good enough that they can add numbers when other teams can't, but the guys they add don't make sense.

Someone mentioned Stackhouse will play the two, but that guy is a pure three at this stage in his career and may always have been. Stackhouse has no lateral movement left, has shot 27% from the arc in Dallas, and has nearly a 1-1 career assist/to ratio. If he can play guard in the NBA consistently, so can I. The fact is, he can't regularly play the two, nor can Howard or George. They are exclusively threes.

People should be b****ing that Dallas basically made an even trade of Griffin for Buckner, but lost Daniels in the process and anyone who watched the Finals knows that Daniels is the only legitimate two-guard they had on their entire team. But instead of seeking out a starting two, they get rid of Daniels, switch identical players in Griffin and Buckner, obtain a third true small forward and a third true point guard. Are they expecting Maurice Ager to start for them? That's the equivalent of us claiming Novak will start. If the Rockets did that, these boards would blast them as idiots.

And let's not even get into their center position. Dampier has a worse contract than Howard and is less productive. Throw in Diop, Mbenga, and Podkolzin, and they have four slow as day 7-footers who can't score to save their lives.

I won't even bring up the Nash/Walker/Finley/Jamison/Dirk lineup (one of the worst wastes of money ever assembled). Their team is built for a good regular season because it has enough depth to withstand injuries, but that is it. Throw a dominating four or two at them and Dallas is lost defensively. If your one and four can defend, then they are in even more trouble. Assuming San Antonio had any kind of a power forward for their series or Pheonix had healthy Raja Bell OR Amare Stoudamire, and there is no way they even make the Finals last year.

14. rserina

rserina Member

Why would you take him? Where would you play him? George is a pure three and can't play another position on the floor. We already have a logjam with McGrady and Battier both best suited for the three, so why would you add another? You can criticize the Rox management for any number of things, but this signing is not one of them.

And you think their reserves would challenge for a starting spot? Well, I could see Harris starting at the one for us *potentially*, but not Johnson. Stackhouse can't play the two anymore and he certainly wouldn't get the nod over McGrady or Battier. And Croshere is decent, but would not start over Battier or Howard at the four. Plus, we are still in the market for a combo post player and either combo guard or scoring wing with our remaining MLE and TE.

The better questions is which of their starters could start for us? I'd take Yao over their centers, McGrady over their threes, and Head or Snyder over Buckner or Ager. But I can grant Dirk over our fours and Terry over our ones.

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A quote of a quote. I don't know how to keep the blue box on it.

" Quote:
    Originally Posted by michecon
    Dallas makes solid moves. I almost envy their management.

Exactly. If only the Rockets had those brains. Mavericks have made GREAT strides this offseason, adding loads of depth--Croshere, Johnson,Ager, now George. "

Remember, smart Dallas passed on Mike James. Apparently that was a smart move by the Rockets to do the same.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Eh, I'm not really criticizing them...I would have loved the Devean from the Shaq years, but he's really regressed since then. That said, I think he's our best swingman off the bench if he were here, and he's a known commodity. He can go to the basket, and he has shot well from outside earlier in his career(When he had a dominant post threat to feed off of).

Harris would without a doubt start for us at the one. I personally think Rafer Alston is going to turn some heads this season, and I'm not really worried about the PG position. However, I think Anthony Johnson would start over the Rafer we saw last season. 20, 5, and 5 when it counted.

Stackhouse would definitely start for us, on talent alone(Like I said). Are you kidding me...Kirk Snyder/Juwan Howard over Jerry Stackhouse?

I don't like what we're going into the season with at all. It reminds me of two years ago...T-Mac, Yao, and no one else. The difference is Bobby Sura probably isn't coming back this time, and Juwan Howard has regressed immensely. Hopefully we'll make some moves. We're in dire need of another young, athletic swingman who can shoot and a big man who can see minutes at both the four and the five. Get it done, fellas.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

It's not a done deal yet.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Dallas sucks.

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

A sign and trade of Bonzi to us for Stro and Head would have looked good right about now.

Do we have part SacTown might want in a S&T? I am assume that they have Bonzi's bird right - could a third team be involved? O h God no - no draft picks please. Will they take Rafer and filler?

Just wondering out 'loud'.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

joke is so freaking old. enough.