1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update with Juwan Howard situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LakersPride, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Houston is not taking on Mihm or Cook (both had recent offseason surgeries). Nor would the Lakers trade Walton (trade kicker in his contract). So, who on the Lakers would we take back?!? The Lakers roster is terrible and they didn't have any business in the playoffs in the first place (yes, Kobe's that good folks). We'd basically be giving up Howard and Head for spare parts, McKie? Smoosh? George? Expiring contracts or not, I don't like the deal at all and I'd be shocked if it went down.

PASS

CD, get Memphis (gulp) or Charlotte on the phone and start looking at Wright and Ely...

2. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

The Lakers roster is worse than ours as far as depth goes. I'd rather keep Juwan and his salary than get a bunch of Laker scrubs.... I would have considered the deal for Mihm, Cook, & Parker or Walton. But if Mihm is out why are we even talking to them anymore?

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

Howard for Cook, Vujacic, and McKie works

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

To me this would be atrocious. We would lose the best current player (Howard--though yes I know he is aging the a progressively worse contract) and the most promising young player (Head).

Cook is blazingly soft. Howard is a better 4 than him, and Novak may do what Cook is supposed to do only better.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

No way we will want George in return for Howard and Head. I dont like Kwame either. I dont think Gundy will like these two. If there is no Mihm, there is no deal with the Lakers.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Exactly

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You've been on here for two months. This kind of thing recirculates like the news. After a while you can pick up on who is real and who is messing around. There are a lot of egos in the world, but who is to say that LakerPride's doesn't exist. Regardless of whether the rumor is true or not, look at the subject matter of LP's posts. The all great ME exists in many of them. People who post with this style tend to crave attention. That's all I'm saying. If you can't smell the agenda in LP's posts, then you don't know what attention cravings smell like.

This is how a real rumor guy does it:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=12283

oeilpere is a poster that we all respected back in the day. Not everything he said came true, but sometimes it did. His style had nothing to do with respect and thanking people for believing in him(LakerPride did that). He just states the info he heard and walked away. LakerPride claimed not to be into speculating, then speculations became more and more frequent as posters played into LP's hands. That's another reason why I don't trust LP. LP doesn't stick to what LP says. In fact, LP may not even remember or care what he/she wrote. What matters is that the reply count and viewer count is high. Substance means nothing to someone who craves attention.

My suggestion: Look up page 872 after doing this:

At the bottom of the GARM it has different ways to organize the threads. Fill it in this way and then press the button that says, 'Show Threads'.
    Sort by: Thread Starter
    From the: Beginning
    Sort Order: Decending

After the page reloads, the web address will say, "http://bbs.....blah blah , then PAGE=1 blah blah"

Type in page=872 (page 871 has a few too) and look at all the oeilpere threads. This is one example of why I think LP is full of it. LP doesn't have the style that shouts, "I have real info". LP is hype (aka fake). This reminds me of when actor Sean Penn went to New Orleans with a boat to save people. He brought a camera crew too. The bottom line wasn't helping people, the bottom line was drawing attention to himself. That's a queen-type. Sean Penn may have helped someone out there, but he was there for the attention. Same with LakerPride.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, the person likes attention and Old Man Rock posted about it first, so why give out credibility so easily? Why not be skeptical?

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I feel bad about giving up Luther Head, but if we can get Cook, George, and Vujacic for Howard and Head, you HAVE to do that deal.

Cook is a great outside shooter (42% in 3s last season, 39% the year before) and he had a solid 15.7 PER last season as well. He's not a good rebounder, true, but Juwan isn't that much better.

In return for Head, you get couple big guards/SFs in George in Vujacic who offer solid defense. Neither are very good offensive players, but we're sorely lacking in size at the 2-guard position, and this would allow us to keep McGrady and Battier at their natural forward positions.

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Don't mess with the don....don grahamleone.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear where your coming from Old Man Rock and I can totally respect that.
    don - I've been at Clutch City since 99 as hardwood,but I appreciate the heads up anyway.
    And yeah,Doc Rocket and Pops,those guys consistently deliver/delivered the goods when we were all starving(and in a different way)...true insiders.
    My take here is that no matter the delivery...this guy is being sincere.Color me gullible and wanting good news. :cool:

11. Plowman

Supporting Member

...and assuming this deal goes down with Head in it,I'd expect more in return than is being advertised.

12. Plowman

Supporting Member

BTW don, looking back,I have to tell you I really miss him.

13. Nero

Nero Member

I am afraid I am starting to lean in line with DG on this one.

The quote below is what smells:

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't have the ring of truth to it. People are accepting statements like this at face value, and perhaps they shouldn't. How much 'stress and hard work' does something like this take? Either you have a 'source' who is telling you insider information, or you don't. It's not hard work, or stressful.

Of course you could imagine certain scenarios, I suppose. If, for example, LP is having to give 'Luther' to this 'source', or else he is having to sleep with some GM's ugly secretary, or maybe he is a janitor who works in the Lakers' offices, and he is hiding tape recorders in the air vents, then maybe it's a lot of hard work and stress.

Personally, though, I doubt this guy is jumping on slumpbusters just for the privilege of sharing insider info to a bunch of Rockets fans.

Plus, the entire idea makes no sense. Sure, we would probably be glad to find a taker for Juwan's contract, but there is just no benefit to the Lakers in taking him on. They already have a guy who is a better shooter in Cook, and what little rebounding and defense Howard has, they don't need to take on his contract to get that elsewhere cheaper. Maybe they just want a guy on the team who is a snappy dresser?

Anyway, it's not like it's a high-impact move either way, so if by some miracle this thing actually happens, then fine, no big deal; and if it doesn't happen, then fine, no big deal either.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL ... good ol' fashioned lesson on English. You da man, don 'em good!

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

cry me a river....why in the hell would you be putting yourself thru stress to let random people in a different city know about a marginal trade?

where is SJC when you need him?

btw if you are right feel free to start a thread that says "suck it haters" when the trade for j-ho goes down. but for now don't be whining about stuff.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

ok now you are just lying. 3 torn ligaments and MIGHT need surgery. he doesn't have 3 torn ligaments.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

So you have heard of the deal being talked about. Does that mean your previous thread on the idea wasn't just idle speculation?

18. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

This is why I don't post what I hear from my friends who are scouts because I would have to read a post like this because I didn't post it in proper rumor form. Give me a f'n break. There is a less than 5% chance he is going to be right even if his source was Jerry Buss let alone what form he posts it in. Thank you DR. Phil.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Let me clarify, I heard Mihm on Radio say that his ankle was not healing properly and may need surgery. Everything else was idle speculation or from other boards which is worst than idle speculation. And furthermore I don't believe LP and that is also idle speculation.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

totally off-topic, but while it's seems written in stone if you read blogs, Penn's side of the story is that this is not what happened at all (from a New Yorker magazine article from a few months). He went to NO by himself and the camera crew (not his) asked to come on one of his trips and he let them (and there is no concrete evidence to the contrary except fro the fact that its been repeated so much that people think its true.)

Douglas Brinkley, the Tulane historian who wrote "the great deluge" about katrina, says that he saw Penn personally rescue (without cameras) around 40 people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.