1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how do we match up with suns/mavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trifle3A, Jul 16, 2006.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I really don't know about the Mavs. I like to think that the Rockets will be able to at least hold their own against them, but I'm not sure.

The Rockets will have serious trouble against the Suns. The way the teams are set up, the Suns have a ton of match up advantages. When you have a quick, explosive PF playing center, a tall PG playing PF, one of the best scoring/defensive SF's in the game, and a great (albeit over-rated) playmaker, you can force some serious mismatches. And while the Rockets have definitely gotten better, they haven't gotten quicker. The only hope is that the Rockets don't face the Suns in the playoffs. The Suns can definitely become the Sonics of this generation.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Too many variables to be accounted for before Nov., but as it stands now, the Rocket's matchup problems are largely the same as what they were before the offseason. Our guards will be eaten alive by the Mavs, Suns, and Heat. Our guards aren't great shooters or defenders, still a big problem. Snyder "might" help, might not. Missing on James, really hurts.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

oohhh ohhh ohhh, I wanna play.

Tmac >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boris Diaw

Yao Ming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amare Stoudemire

Cool. The Rockets got more ">" so we win.

4. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Not sure about that one, chief. If anything, they both give the same production but in different ways.

Anyway, we're nowhere near either team. Both teams have established identities and really know how to take advantage of their strengths. We don't. Not only that, we don't have the depth to compete with either team. Snyder and Head being the first 2 options off our bench doesnt excite me.

We're a lot worse off. when compared to those two clubs, now than we were two years ago when we had a healthy and efficient team.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Look at their head-to-head matchups. Yao consistently DESTROYED Amare two years ago. This year, Yao is primed to breakout and Amare will be rusty. Advantage: Yao.

6. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

The key really is another guy on Sun's team not named Amare...

7. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

dont we have the best defensive fowards now

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Phoenix's bench (Barbosa, Tim Thomas, James Jones, Eddie House) is much better than ours plus they have a lot of multifunctional players like Thomas, Marion & Diaw who can play multiple spots.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

All true, but I think we are MUCH closer to the upper echelon than we were at the end of last year, agree?

DD

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

That's not saying much. :p

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well Tim Thomas left. And it seems like House is going to be on the move as well. And they lost out on Salmons. So they've got a bit of work to do to fill out that bench. Course it seems like anyone they pick up automatically pans out and has a career year.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I assume you mean SF's. And statistically, yes, Battier is the best SF. Objectively, he's one of the top five. But as much as Battier's defensive statistics are helped by playing in Memphis, Marion's are hurt by playing in Phoenix. Marion is a great man-to-man defender.

13. xtint1n

xtint1n Member

We will have a lot of fast break points next year. Rafer ALWAYS pushes the ball. and Tmac uhh... always finishes. :D

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Solid, what's your opinion of Spanoulis? Think he could be a difference maker in this respect?

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

All I know about him is what I have read on this board. Unfortunately, much of that information has been conflicting. I have read he has a good mid-range shot, then others have said that he is not a good shooter. The info that is consistent: he apparently plays hard, drives well to the basket, and has good size and strength. Is he ready for the NBA, more conflicting information? I have read that CD is high on him, and JVG has doubts. What's your take?

Also, neither of us have been very high on our "crack" management team. Do you see any way out of the mess they have created? They got lucky with Gay and then "gave" him away. I like Battier, but Gay was a rare talent.