1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Hornets guard Kirk Snyder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Watching him perform while he was playing for Rockets, Toronto, and Heat. :confused: :confused:

2. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

Thank you... I personally really like alston as our starting pg. He pushed the ball up the court and ran the offense as well as anyone can expect for a MLE pg. Sure he has trouble keeping up w/ some of the super quick guards such as when chris paul torched him, but that's why we should bring in Marcus Banks for some defense if we need to.

3. thesaint

thesaint Member

I told u guys Rox are gonna make some hush deals that it will be a suprise. Not a bad move here....trying to fill in our depth. Snyder is a JVG type player and also a good defender. Come on ROX....lets do more deals like these :p

4. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

:)

Quit over exaggerating Juwan's contract.......God you sound like Tinman. Yeah I want a better starting PF too, but Juwan would be very nice coming off the bench, and as a rotational big wouldn't be that overpaid to do so.

As for the Snyder trade, I love it. This is the kind of move that the Rocks need to make to add depth and talent to a team with very little resources. We get a guy who's young, long, and athletic for free. Maybe he ends up on Van Gundy's sh## list, and is relegated to Moochie minutes, but then we didn't give up anything to get him, and his contract isn't hard to swallow. However, maybe this kid grows up here (ala Mad Max did after his arrival a decade ago) and we have our starting 2 or at least a solid rotational player for nothing. This is a great move by the rocks simply because it's all reward and very little risk. FINALLY, a good move by the Rocks FO.

5. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Good, I'm glad the guy has some ATTITUDE and TOUGHNESS. We NEED that on this team.

And GREAT pickup. Good size at the 2 guard which we DESPERATLEY needed, good defense, decent shooter. And we gave up really nothing, and still have our MLE to spend!

I knew the Rockets had some moves up their sleeves...

6. MC Welk

MC Welk Member

Snyder is basically a swingman version of Stromile Swift. He's going to have a hard time getting along with VanGrumpy. Still he's better than nothing.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Off the fact that Rafer is extremely shakey in crunch time. I can't remember how many times he had a turnover, or made a bad decision (passing when he should have shot, diving when he should have passed etc.) down the stretch of games. And this is along with his tendancy to just plain not show up sometimes. I'll never forget how Mike James just brutalized Rafer in that one game. Rafer had no fire, no fight, and got steamrolled.

Heck with a full lineup, I'd probably prefer Tracy taking the reins down the stretch of games, bringing the ball up the court and Luther taking Rafer's place instead.

8. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Of course your leaving out the fact that Snyder seems to work hard on the court (which Stro seldom did), and that we gave up jack crap to get Snyder while giving Stro the full MLE..........huge difference. In this case, we gave up little and have potential to get alot. In Stro's case we gave up alot and got a little more than nothing.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed. Rafer, Banks, JLIII. PG solved.

With that all we need to worry about is more SG and PF depth.

That's why I would really like to trade Juwan and Rybo for Miles and somebody like Juan Dixon. Get Banks with the TE and then throw the MLE or some good portion of the MLE at a guy like Jeffries.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Dude, this just isn't true. He's not the kind of floor general PG that Kidd and Nash are, but he's a damn good ball-handler, he passes well, and he makes the right pass. The only time he has issues is when there are no scorers on the floor with him and he thinks he needs to score. If he's the 5th best player in the starting line-up, the Rockets are contenders. (Just have to find a better PF for that to happen.)

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I agree. Snyder plays with a fire and energy that Stro just doesn't bring much. The only thing is that Snyder is wild and undisciplined (and a bit lunkheaded), so I think he compares much more with Stephon Jackson

12. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Here's an AP story with quotes from CD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2519541

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Eh, maybe you're right. Frankly, I had usually stopped watching by the 4th quarters for a lot of the games where everyone was injured. For the others, I don't remember him being any more or less shaky than your average NBA players, Mike James included. I'm not enormously concerned about the fact that Mike James played a much better game than Rafer in the one time they met last year. It happens.

What I am concerned about is Rafer's ability to find the open man, make open shots, and control the game (minimize turnovers) throughout the game, including "crunch" time.

I think with a healthy line-up all year, Rafer will be more the satisfactory there. He is not your third scorer though, so he will never be "clutch", he just needs to avoid being "anti-clutch"

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I would rather have Juwan than D-Miles. First of all, Miles is NOT a true power forward and would get killed by opposing PFs even worse than Howard does. Second, his contract is horrendous. Third, he can't shoot to save his life. While his athleticism is off-the-charts, no thanks.

People forget that Howard was a throw-in in the McGrady deal, a contract the Rockets had to take on in order to get T-Mac. He was not a big-time free agent signing that the Rockets' front office regrets making. His salary, while above average, is not atrocious. He still plays fairly well on the court and is a veteran leader. It's not HIS fault that he's not a top-10 PF in the league like most of the PFs in the Western Conference, nor is he paid like one. It's also not his fault that there is no one out there that the Rockets can realistically obtain who is substantially better than him. He's simply the victim of unfortunately circumstance to play in the PF-rich West with the only dominant center in the conference, who cannot keep up with quicker PFs on defense. Therefore, it falls on Howard to try his best. And he has.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Talent wise this is a complete steal.

Snyder has to be penciled in as the starter. Tons of talent and athleticism.

Now if the guy can avoid being a complete knucklehead.

For those that say Snyder and Bogans are a wash...all I can say is that you did not watch Rockets basketball much last year. You WILL not see Snyder blowing those little lay ups at the end of fast breaks that Bogans did. Snyder plays with a lot of confidence which Bogans completely lacked.

There is certainly a reason we got Snyder for nothing but it is still a very low risk and very, very high reward. Snyder could be our starting 2 guard for the next decade if he can just get his head screwed on straight. I can't beleive there was not a better option out there period.

Kudos to CD on this one.

16. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

if we had landed mike james, we could have played the way the hornets played last year with speedy and paul playing at the same time. then kirk was brought off the bench. oh well.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If he's someone else besides Tracy who can drive to the hoop and finish, that will be an astonishing sight. Heck, we haven't seen much of that in a while.

18. Summer Song Giver

i like the move, he's a rotational guy right now at this very moment, maybe more.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hope this has not been posted.

Kirk Snyder
    Shooting Guard (Rank: #4) | 6-7, 228
    Nevada
    View Prospects By: Player | Position | School/Country | NBA Team | NBA Draft History
    Draft Board: Round 1 | Round 2
    Insiders can access ESPN.com's complete draft coverage and exclusive player analysis.
    Already an Insider? Sign in above or click here.

Become an insider | Take the Tour

Summary:
    Kirk Snyder
    Kirk Snyder
    Notes: He dropped 29 and 9 on Kansas in a win in December and turned a lot of heads. Has declared for the draft and hired agent Roger Montgomery.

Upside: Considered one of the most complete guard prospects in the draft. He does everything for Nevada. He's strong, athletic, has great speed, shoots the ball well, rebounds and defends. What really intrigues scouts is his playmaking ability at the two. He has a very good handle and appears to be a smart player.

Downside: Not much. The biggest issue is underexposure. Scouts didn't start paying heavy attention until late. Once he gets into workouts, he could explode. He's a very good talent.

Insider Projection: The best player in the WAC is starting to get a lot of attention from NBA scouts. He was awesome in the tournament leading Nevada to an improbable upset over Gonzaga and into the Sweet 16. With so few good collegiate players in the draft, Snyder has probably moved himself up into the late lottery.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...m/nba/draft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18612

Early entry candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft.

Career Highlights: Named WAC Player of the Year as a junior, the first player in school history to earn the award. Also earned District 8 Player of the Year honors from the USBWA and Honorable Mention All-America from the Associated Press. Completed career as the seventh all-time leading scorer in Nevada history with 1,404 points, also ranking in the school’s all-time top 10 in field goals made and free throws made.

Junior (2003-04): Led team in scoring (18.8 ppg) and ranked second in rebounding (5.7 rpg). Exploded for career-high 33 points against SMU and scored another 29 points in the rematch. Registered 29 points and nine rebounds in an upset win over Kansas. Recorded 22 points at Connecticut. Posted 25 points and 10 rebounds against Tulsa. Scored 28 points in consecutive games against Fresno State and at Tulsa. Set career-high of 10 assists against Rice. Named WAC Tournament MVP after scoring 17.7 points and grabbing 9.0 rebounds in three games, registering 11 points and a career-high 14 rebounds in the finals against UTEP. Scored 19 points in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Michigan State. Tallied 18 points, nine rebounds and six assists against Gonzaga in the second round, and finished season with 21 points against Georgia Tech in the Sweet 16.

Sophomore (2002-03): Led team in scoring (16.3 ppg) and rebounding (8.1 rpg). Led WAC with 12 double-doubles. Either tied or led the team in scoring in 17 games. Posted season-high 29 points at Fresno State. Scored 12 points and grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds against San Diego. Tallied 21 points, 10 rebounds, and six assists at Arizona State. Named to the WAC All-Tournament Team after averaging 19.3 points and 7.7 rebounds in three contests. Earned First Team All-WAC honors.

Freshman (2001-02): Averaged 13.7 points and 4.6 rebounds. Became eligible to play on Dec. 27 and scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds against San Jose State in his debut. Recorded season-high 22 points against Hawaii. Scored 21 points including the game-winning three-point shot with four seconds remaining against Fresno State.

Strengths: Solid, all-around, skilled player with the strength and athleticism to contribute at the pro level. Played both guard spots at Nevada and is an excellent defensive player.

Personal: Lists Michael Jordan as his favorite sports figure. Enjoys playing volleyball in his spare time.

http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/KirkSnyder.html

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

screw mike james. our team is better off without that knucklehead