1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James: Im going to opt out in 3 years, Im underpaid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by McGradySNKT, Jul 13, 2006.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Mike James fervently believes that he's more than just a "MLE" level player. So in his mind, he's not being paid what he's worth. He took the best deal available but he still feels underpaid. All I can say is that he's an interesting guy who is definitely looking out for no. 1.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Oh I understand his thought pattern but what I don't understand is why do it right away. I would wait at least a little while before I start screaming about being underpaid.

Nutty nutty stuff

3. rserina

rserina Member

That's pretty darn funny. I guess Jessie the Body-Governor instilled that 67% state income tax like Sweden has.

4. deshen

deshen Member

Enough, I am tired of MJ thread.

5. moomoo

moomoo Member

the animosity towards mike james (among many other things that are apparent to anyone that's perceptive who reads these boards regularly) pretty much tells you all you need to know about the demographics on this board. yeah i said it. and what you're thinking, that's exactly what i'm implying. what.

nice interview. good luck mike. sorry about our GM/owner/coach/statboy. we coulda used your game. get yours, son.

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

Mike James i Correct on bein underpaid. But he has to learn to deal with media and public in general. At some point you will lose that battle!

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Weak.

8. compucomp

compucomp Member

This board bashes Ryan Bowen much harder than they bash Mike James, and it defends Yao against the media who are so quick to insist that he is a soft, slow Shawn Bradley clone. If you're trying to play the race card, you failed. Try again.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Sorry..I should feel more loyalty to Mike James than the Houston Rockets? Please. As for the rest of your drivel, don't hide behind "implying" racial bias in the BBS reaction to James. Just come out and say it and stand behind your assertion. It's one thing to make a claim that doesn't stand up under inspection. It's another thing to be wrong and be a p***y about it.

10. dream2franchise

Pulp, love the sig, but maybe tone down the font size down a little.

Maybe James will be looking for Sam Cassell money, 2yrs-13 million, of which he has two chances.

11. jeffpan

jeffpan Member

Quite right. At least we see that he does not care about the words he said yesterday. No sense of responsibility and loyalty and shame. A basketball player can be as stupid, but can’t be as fickle and unwise as he is.

12. dsmoo

dsmoo Member

i think we needed Mike James MORE than Mike James needed us.

imo, a "trade kicker" shouldn't have come between our needs.

the West is waaaaay too strong to let a trade kicker come between us being a #8 seed or actually having a legit chance at being a #4 or #5 seed.

i agree with him that he's underpaid ( don't compare him to what we, the average Joe, make. Compare him to his peers in The League ) .

13. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

14. dsmoo

dsmoo Member

BTW, opt out means, "if i keep performing at a top level, i'm gonna wish to re-negotiate in three years". It doesn't mean that he's not loyal. It means that he will reevaluate his value based on his "on court" performance. I'm sure if the three teams had more to offer than the MLE, they might've offered it to him. They knew they were getting a bargain based on his production and what others make.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Statboy? You just picked out four people who happen to be, what? And you call one of them "boy"?

Maybe that tells us all we need to know about your motives. Or maybe people just say what they think of a man's character, and you're just too shallow to see past the color of skin.

How dare you cry wolf and insult the memory of those who suffered the real thing.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

hysteria

17. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

It's unbelievably funny how whimsy this board is.

Just two days ago people on here were hailing James as a necessary ingredient for our team. Now, they're saying we don't need him and we're better off without him. Which is it?

Then, the little crybaby demands a trade kicker for a, relatively, mediocre talent. This is a guy who will THRIVE on poor, subpar clubs but won't be much of a difference-maker on a contender. He needs the ball to be effective. Hence, he would not have fared so well here.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

let's end one myth, the trade kicker isn't for superstar players, its not needed. if max player is living up to his contract he won't be traded unless its just time to rebuild, or if he isn't living up to his contract, then no one is gonna take it, so he won't be traded anyway. the few players who have trade kickers, are mid level players.

this isn't like baseball where better players have no trade clauses. with no salary cap, its a different dynamic.

19. flurp

flurp New Member

What an absolutely ridiculous comment from someone on his signing day.

He talked about how he wanted his chance to have "that day", where he got to put on the cap and sit at the podium for his very own press conference, lamenting about how through all his struggles, he'd never had that.

And then, the day he signs, he promptly tells all the fans in his new town that he intends to opt out first chance he gets?

After all he put everyone through with the drama over wanting to "find a home".

Jeebus.

I'm pretty happy he didn't take the Mavs offer.

20. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

:D :D

Something tells me James didn't major in geography at Duquesne University.