1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UPDATE: Mike James chooses Timberwolves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by liamrock, Jul 11, 2006.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

option on the third year? interesting. from what he's said in the past, i'm guessing he wanted an option on the third year because he thinks he still has plenty of room, and can maintain the fiery desire, to improve. i'm guessing he's banking on getting better in the next two years, opting out after year two, and cashing in on a bigger contract. that's what he's said, at least. he'll be what, 33-34 by then? this dude's got big-balls, sam cassell style.

2. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Mike did the right thing and so did the Rockets.

Did the team need him? Sure. Did the Mavs want him? Sure.
    Did either team overpay? Nope.

In the end, Mike got paid and got his rider AND player option. If you read between the lines, the rider was a jab at the Rockets but what he really wanted was the rider. He believes he is getting a bad deal and that in 2 years, he will opt out and really get paid. That my friend, is not acceptable. If he sucks in 2 years, he will stay on this current contract. If he is good, they the team is held hostage again. The bottomline is the man wants to get paid. He is. Good for him.

If anyone of you out in BBS land was offered a job that will get you a lot more $$$ and a say about your career, would'nt you take it? I though so.

As for the Rockets, this would have been a deal from hell for them in terms of planning. It locked them in and yet if the man plays well, he's outta here again. Worst of both worlds.

A reasonable fan would understand this is a bad deal for any team that signs this way. Hats off to the GM in Min.

And for the record, every team should be in the win now mode. What, do you want your team to lose? The future wasn't going to be Gay anyways so who cares. If Yao becomes all he can be and TMac is back to form, they will be fine. It was always do or die with them anyways. Mike looks like a 3rd option but what the Rockets need is get a real SG. That will most likely take the MLE that would have gone to MJ. That is more of a need than getting MJ and locking into a bad contract from the point of view of the Rockets.

The team had enough bad contracts and MJ wasn't going to get one. Good for them. And for those of you who thinks MJ is worth more than the MLE. Sorry to disappoint you but that's what he signed for because no other team in the league would give him more. He is not worth more because the market did not bear. Same for Swift last year.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Seems to me CD called his bluff - thinking that Minny and Mavs would not offer anything different from our offer.

Not!

I braced myself very well for this - I expected it. I am in a "whatever" mode right about now.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think that has more to do with it than the perks, In Dallas and in Houston he would have been at best 3rd or 4th scoring option, in Minny he'll probably the #2 guy behind Garnett, I think that has a lot more to do with his decision

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Mike James tells all

Don't know if it's been posted but ya'll read this Mike James was bitter and also wanted to be able to opt out after year two

www.chron.com/sports/rockets/

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah... "Whatever" mode sounds good.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man,the intense pressure and anxiety on this board is directly related to the composition of the Rockets RIGHT THIS SECOND.Relax,it is us who has leverage.

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

He wanted a 4th year player option. You read it wrong.

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yeah, he sounded bitter in that interview.

#429 RocketForever, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  10. rcalderon

rcalderon Member

I don´t understand this....we need another 2 players (at least) one would be James , and another free agent. This summer fee agents are not so good ....so we must choose right ones.
    NO james.... one down....plan B (Banks).
    Now we need another Scorer ...so my only hope is that we trade J.howard for a better role player ( actually i can´t imagine who woluld like him and his huge contract!!!!) and sign a young, fast, cheap and good free agent.

So CD and company must make miracles to get all done.

I´m really worry about this summer.
    No Gay
    No James
    No one....

!!!!NO CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

it said he wanted a player option on his third year.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hopefully everybody can get him out of their system quickly so we can move on instead of starting another 200 threads about Mike James.

Bye bye.

13. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

Yeees this is good now we have something to be pupmped bout and thats kicking wolves ass no doubt I am exited again!. :cool:

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This is a business - for both the players and front offices.

Both sides lie and stretch the truth to suit their causes. When we landed him, we told him he was the apple of our eyes - that we started chasing him since his days as a Piston. We told him we wanted to bring him home. We traded him to Canada in less than 6 months.

CD and JVG told us that we are going for athletic young players. They said they would fortify the roster. They promised so many things since late April. What do they have to show for all the promises so far?

I am not making excuses for MJ - just making you see both sides.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

So in short, he wanted to do things his own way, make it impossible for them to trade him unless *HE* wanted to bolt, and they said no.

Well done, Carroll. Obviously he hated the fact that he was only getting the MLE (which makes sense...I remember his reaction when being asked about an MLE offer on SR610 a while back). So he wanted a situation where he could play for two years, and then after that bolt again looking for a bigger contract. This wasn't about the number of years, it was all about wanting more money -- even more than the MLE. All the "championship" talk was nothing more than a charade. Even Mark Cuban was smart enough not to bite.

It's unfortunate because he may have shot himself in the foot here: Obviously he isn't going to win any kind of championship in Minnesota, and if he peaks or goes downhill in a couple of years, he'll really regret not coming back to Houston. Especially if by that time T-Mac and Yao are celebrating their first conference championship (or even a ring).

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think you overestimate CD's authority... Les decides the money. CD says this is what he wants boss and Les says... is he freaking crazy I am not going to give him a trade kicker and a 3rd year option. Nope not going to happen!" And Cd says Okay boss I'll tell him the deal is on the table but I don't think he is going to like it.

17. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

I have to say that his requests sounded pretty reasonable. He was worth more than the MLE, so why shouldn't he have gotten a player option. Even more important, why couldn't they give him some security of a trade kicker after what we put him through last time. I know MJ has a huge ego, but I really don't blame him a bit for being pissed if the Rockets wouldn't meet these demands.

I'm not here to just bash the front office and unlike almost everyone else, I actually think they made a pretty good deal for Battier now that I've learned more about it. But I really think CD and company screwed this one up pretty bad.

18. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

He can rot in Minisota, for all I care. He is STUPID. Does he know that there is state income tax in Minisota? Does he know that he is NOT gonna get more than MLE two years from now, considering most teams have are just MLE and he will be 33 and have two BAD years in that freezing cornor? Does he know that any NORMAL man would much prefer living in the warm TX than the freaking cold humid MN? His wife is gonna give him an earful.

He is a STUPID CHEAP prostitute. **** him.

Let's boo him when he comes to play in Houston.

Is House still available for league minimum? Don't we just need someone who can knock down open looks when Yao kicks the ball out?

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Why you ain't stackin' instead of tryin' to be fly

Why is rattin' at an all time high

Why are you even alive

Why them bullets have to hit that door

Why did Kobe have to hit that raw

Why he kiss that w****

Why?

20. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

Dont know if this is posted yet. Haven't read the thread fully. Sorry if has

The Rockets believed Mike James would be a perfect fit and made no effort to hide their disappointment upon learning he would be signing with the Timberwolves.

''I'm not having a good day,'' Rockets GM Carroll Dawson said Tuesday afternoon.

He didn't seem to be excited about any of his backup options with one possible exception: Vassilis Spanoulis.

The Rockets probably will sign the Greek guard and hope he can play both positions. He's not a great shooter and is just 6-4. So much for the best laid plans.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/