1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Lucas Isn't Tall, But He's Growing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets111, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4032550.html

Lucas isn't tall, but he's growing
    Rockets guard learns to overcome his shortcomings

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS - With the Rockets leading by three in the final minute and, as always, treating the occasion as seriously as if it were late spring rather than early in the summer league, Denver's Cheyne Gadson backed John Lucas into the lane and hit his short jumper over the 5-11 Lucas' reach.

There was a time when Lucas would have cursed that he stopped growing nearly a half-foot before his father did.

On Friday, he took the ball into the teeth of the Nuggets' press, kept his head up and his dribble going until he fired a pass 60 feet to center Matt Haryasz for the dunk that clinched the Rockets' 93-90 win.

"Back in the day, I would have probably gotten down," Lucas said. "I hate when people score on me. But I kept my eyes up. Matt was wide-open for an easy dunk."

Two in a row
    Lucas' pass was a nice finish to a second outstanding performance, a key to a win that meant everything at the time and absolutely nothing 10 seconds later. But it might be more significant in his career in which nothing can happen without perseverance.

He has no doubts about where he wants to play.

"I love the organization, I love the coaching staff," he said. "This is where I want to be."

The Rockets could be in a position to give him that chance.

If they can sign their top free agent target, Mike James, they would have James and Rafer Alston to play the point and handle all the minutes Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy has to offer. In that scenario, Van Gundy said he "certainly, certainly" would be happy to have his third point guard be a young, developing player.

In Lucas' case, it might help that the third point would happily live in the gym, run practice pick-and-rolls like a master and appreciate every second in a Rockets uniform.

"I think John has a lot of good characteristics that a guy his size would have to have to make it, which is a love for the game, a definitive skill in that he can really shoot it and run a pick-and-roll," Van Gundy said.

'Tremendous kid'
    "He also has some deficits to overcome, his size and strength. And he doesn't have great defensively quickness to be one of those Muggsy Bogues-type defenders. He does have some things he does well and he is a tremendous, tremendous kid. I'd rather be with a younger guy who really loves to play the game. I like him a lot."

Lucas — son of former Rockets guard John Lucas — has been nearly unstoppable in the things he does well, following his 26 points on Thursday with 25 against the Nuggets and his 10 assists on Thursday with nine more in 34 minutes on Friday. He has made 21 of 34 shots in the two games.

He scored easily on jump-stop fadeaways and drives to the basket. He set up teammates inside. He showed some signs of being a more disruptive on-the-ball defender. But he also had some trouble with the dribble penetration of Brandon Roy on Thursday and to a lesser degree John Gilchrist and Gadson on Friday.

Rockets assistant head coach and summer league coach Tom Thibodeau said Lucas has already made strides in shoring up not just his shortcomings but also more assertively using his strengths.

20 days in the pros
    "Mostly I think he's grown up," Thibodeau said. "He's gotten more comfortable. His experience last year in those 20 days with us helped him.

"He didn't shoot the ball as well as he is capable (making 38.9 percent). He has a great shot, not a good shot, a great shot. Now, he's not hesitating. He's playing much better team defense; he's more disruptive. He's making it a lot harder on guys.

"He's proven to people he's an NBA player. He just needs an opportunity and to make the most of it."

====================================

I hope either Washington or Lucas earns that 3rd string backup. I'm all for youth and speed and quickness, but it seems that Lucas is more of a gym rat and has a greater work ethic than Washington, whose had reports that his attitude has left a lot to be desired.

2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

lucas would be a good 3rd stringer
    james/alston/lucas is pretty nice

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

For a point his height shouldn't be too much of a concern. The two best PG's from last year's draft Paul and Felton measured up 5-11 at the Chicago Pre-draft camp.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Lucas sure doesn't look he is 5'11, more like 5'9. But he is so quick and brings a nice tempo to the game. He is a good shooter and is becoming a pure PG. Hope the Rockets sign him as their 3rd pg. He could be a great practice player.

5. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

Lucas would be a perfect third PG a guy that bring enery with his speed and can knock down open shots. :)

6. leeegend

leeegend Rookie

for some reason I think D Wash will be a better fit/player

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If JL3 can hit open shots he will help us next season. The guy is unguardable and impossible to keep up with. Plus he can lead a fast break if the other players can keep up with him. ;)

The bottom line is he needs to hit open shots next season to compensate for his defensive inadequacy.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No way ....D Wash averaged like 3.5 turnovers a game last season....Lucas > D Wash

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'd be perfectly fine bringing him on as the 3rd string PG for the minimum. I remember really enjoying how he pushed the ball when he played for us last year.

10. clutchhero

clutchhero Member

Lucas can bring us the immediate help. D-Wash is a future prospect with more upsides.

11. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Reading this article all it reminded me of was the game where Luther and JL3 carried the team to 2 OT's... I like what he brings on the court and he should be a welcomed additon to the team.

12. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

...what more could you ask for in a 3rd string PG? He has a great lineage and a great attitude and love for the game. I am pulling for this kid. Of course, I remember watching his dad play back in the day.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He sat in front of me in Poly Sci when we went to Baylor....Also balled with and against him a couple of times

14. tested911

tested911 Member

I do not deny his ability to run the offense for the Rockets at all.. The issue is defense... With so many tall 1's and 2's who have more bulk than Lucas what can he do??

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I watched him dominate in the NBDL last year, he was incredible.

I would love for him to be the backup PG for the Rockets, the guy to come in and change the pace of the game and get open looks by going up and down in a hurry.

Our very own Earl Boykins.

DD

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's why he will never be more than a 3rd string PG, probably. He needs to become a pesky defender who tips a lot of passes and makes it hard for the other PG to dribble. He also needs to compensate for his defense by being dynamic on offense.