1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Stein]: Opening Day in the Vegas Summer League (Mike James mention)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Varunan, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

I really hope his decision comes tomorrow...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2511802

There was action in the stands as well as on the floor at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, where Toronto's Mike James -- one of the top three unrestricted free agents left on the market along with Al Harrington and Bonzi Wells -- was conducting face-to-face negotiations with the three teams chasing him: Houston, Dallas and Minnesota.

After a meeting with Rockets officials, James could be seen in a far corner of the gym, engaged in an animated discussion with Mavericks owner (and fellow Pittsburgh native) Mark Cuban.

"We're a lot alike," Cuban said with a smile, declining to reveal any more about the conversation.

James eventually made his way to the opposite baseline for a meeting to set up dinner with Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale.

"That's really the three right now," James said of the Rockets, Mavs and Wolves. "Those are the three teams that have shown the most interest in me. But everything, it's basically just talk right now."

James, 31, is seeking a five-year deal after a breakout season for the Raptors in which he averaged 20.3 points and 5.8 assists. The Mavs and Rockets are offering three-year deals starting at the $5 million mid-level exception. Minnesota, which also has its exception available, has been trying to land James via sign-and-trade but the Wolves, according to NBA front-office sources, haven't been able to tempt the Raptors with a package featuring swingman Trenton Hassell.

The Rockets, meanwhile, are trying to bring James back to Houston after dealing him to the Raptors for Rafer Alston last October on the first day of training camp.

Asked if he feels redeemed by Houston's interest now, which included Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy on the doorstep of his Houston home at the first permissible minute of free agency, James said: "I understand people have to make business decisions. [But] I think they realize now that you really don't know what you have sometimes until it's gone. I think the Rockets have a better understanding of me as a person, and I think Jeff has a better understanding of me as a player and a person."

James is staying in Las Vegas through the weekend to continue talks with his suitors and insists that none of the three teams has emerged as a favorite. But he admits that he's getting antsy.

"I'm just ready to get this over with and get with my new team," he said.

2. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Nice to see James has no ill will towards Houston after they traded him to Never-Never Land last year. Most athletes wouldnt even think about going back, but James, to me, has matured greatly within the past year, both on and off the court.

3. Possum

Possum Member

Will u still feel this way if he signs with Dallas?

4. kingkow

kingkow Member

I wouldn't say he is mature

And I'm sure you will find a conflict of interest if MJ comes back because he will fight for the ball with alston

5. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

The Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1152222611077&call_pageid=968867503640

James active in the job market
    Jul. 7, 2006. 01:00 AM

LAS VEGAS—Mike James had a couple of job interviews here yesterday as a process he describes as "surreal" draws another day closer to conclusion.

The ex-Raptor point guard, a free agent, met with representatives of the Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves as the summer league season began, hoping to get his status for next season settled.

"It's been a little stressful, but it's a good stress," James said. "I'm thankful that somebody wants me. I'm thankful that somebody looks at the way I play the game and they're impressed by it and they believe I can help them win a championship. That says a lot about me and I'm just grateful that somebody will give me a compliment like that."

James, who has also attracted interest from the Dallas Mavericks, also realizes that a sign-and-trade deal involving the Raptors, allowing him to maximize his earnings with a new team, might not be possible.
    But for a guy who has never made more than $3 million (all figures U.S.) in his career, a deal that starts at the so-called mid-level salary cap exception of about $5 million a year is nothing to scoff at.

"It's more money than I've made in my life," he said.

Houston would certainly be James' first choice. He lives there in the off-season, his wife is pregnant and has all her support system in that city and he's building a new family home.

Doug Smith

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think he's coming here.

players choose teams based on 3 criteria:

1. money
    2. playing time
    3. winning

the big selling point is, who will offer one more year to the deal? everyone is offering 3. what about the report that we are offering 4 with a team option for the 5th? that would make us front runners.

as far as playing time it's between us and the wolves. pretty much even. as far as winning, it's the mavs but we are close.

add the fact that houston is his home, and his family lives in houston, then we are the clear cut favorites.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

MJ,

One advice to you buddy: get paid! It doesn't matter where, be shrewd and calculating. Signing with the Rockets is no assurance that you will be here for the duration of your contract, you could be traded the next day if the right offer comes along. If one team is willing to do a sign-and-trade for you and it gives you a significant raise over the current MLE offers, GO FOR IT! Don't let emotions and 'loyalties' factor in, make it a purely business decision. Remember, this is your LAST chance to have that one big NBA contract that every player dreams of, don't waste it. Be wise, be patient...

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^I'd also add that this is his first legit free agency where he's being courted. He's enjoying it and he deserves the attention......he worked hard for it. Now with all that said and done.................the real GM in this deal is his wife. lol He goes where she says he goes and all odds point to where he mother and family is.

Get that # 13 jersey ready for him