1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James close to Sign With Rockets for 30million 5 years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsinsider, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shouldn't we be waiting until it's officially announced to welcome him back?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So that's why my eyesight has gone south since the draft! :(

3. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

The funny thing in this situation is, no other team is willing to give this much to Mike James.

4. jdrock

jdrock Member

..Except Alston wouldn't have been available for the MLE, since he'd be under contract with Toronto, right?

If we hadn't done the James-Alston trade a year ago, we'd have James, and to get Alston, we would have to trade with Toronto. And since James most likely would've put up huge numbers in TMac's and Yao's absence, we would have to pay out the a-- to keep him this year.

Really what screwed us was Sura's injury. Had he stayed healthy, we would be content with Sura as our PG and James as our SG/6th man. I think the Rockets have done pretty well, considering the situation.

5. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

so you assume you do not know this for a fact

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Hey, we are all just venting with a little good-natured hyperbole. The vast majority of board members, including me, will be glad to get James back.

7. michecon

Well, that's pretty much a fact. Among all teams interested in MJ, Atlanta Dallas clearly didn't offer him that much. The only unknown is Wolves. It's pretty safe to assume they are not willing to give MJ's five years, by the way they approach him.

8. rocketlaunch

What you read in a paper does not mean that is the only offers he recieved. For all you or I know he recently recieved a 4 year offer from Dallas. This could be the case, but since it is not in a paper or the net it must not be true

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

probably, but what the heck!

I don't wanna be the jinx though

:eek:

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You'd think we would get a home town discount, especially in a state with no income tax.

11. michecon

Dallas offered 3 years, not 4.

Use your head once, comb through all the teams that have the cap room, or can use Mike James, you will find the answer.

If there are other significant offers, we would certainly have known.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

My point is I don't think Alston is in any way worth his current contract. Point guards who are sieves on defense and consistently miss wide open three's off of passouts do not deserve several million a year for several years. I'd much rather his share of our payroll be allocated to a player we can actually fit into JVG's offense and defense. And at this point we do have plenty of holes to plug on our roster.

13. rocketlaunch

What has been reported is 3 years. Do you assume they would not or could not possibly change their offer? For all you know it could come out tommorow that dallas upped their offer. You can not assume offers can not change or will not.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

then if mavs ups to 4, then mike james will go back to the rox and ask for 5..

unless he really wants to be a mav..

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

How do you even know any of this is true. Last year the original "reports" stated that we were giving Stro a 5 year MLE offer, when he ended up with 3 years and a player option.

And this "heard it on the radio" baloney is beyond ridiculous. That smells like total BS if I've ever head it.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. michecon

As a matter of fact, I don't know. What I was saying is, assuming MJ gets 5 year 30m, that's most likely the highest offer he gets from any other team.

18. michecon

With the re-signing of Terry, I don't think Mavs are willing to give out 5. If you look at the moves Cuban makes, he's not the kind keen on throwing money on old players (MJ after 5 years).

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Isn't that how it generally works?

20. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

So if MJ is coming back does that mean that we will make the playoffs like the last time he was here :) ?

And then get bumped out after the first round. :(