1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Novak be our PF of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 4, 2006.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

After watching the highlight montage from the other thread, he reminds me a lot of Hedo Turkoglu. 6-10 with range, lightweight for his size, can put the ball on the floor a lil bit for a pullup, or take it all the way in.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

AHA! Found it. Where did you get this information? I can't find anything that says Battier is 6'9 240.

3. MONON

MONON Member

Novak will play more minutes than LH would have; because LH was learning a distributer role, while Novak will mainly be used as a spot up shooter.

4. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I don't know where RD got the weight measurement from but here is a Sports Illustrated 2001 article that mentions Battier pre-draft measurements showing him taller than advertised:

"...Duke's Shane Battier turns out to be 6-9 shod, not the 6-8 at which the Blue Devils had him..." Heights of hilarity

It looks like Battier chose to list himself w/o shoes (barefoot).

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks guy. I'm actually more interested in weight measurement. If he really is 240 lbs (which I doubt), we have our new starting PF without a doubt.

6. Summer Song Giver

Wow, you know it's bad when there is a 5 page post about whether a skinny white kid who was a second rounder is going to be your power forward of the future, hopefully this thread is just a result of the pessimism that is so prevelant on this board; I would say that Novak should be thanking his lucky stars if he has even a Bullard-esk career. Hope he does that well and you may have something but to ask a second rounder to be your PF of the future is setting youselves and Novak up for failure.

7. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Aren't people also pessimistic about Yao when he was drafted? Look he turns out alright :cool:

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you want a PF that can strictly shoot the ball, then yes, Novak has the possibility of being a PF in the future.

But if you want a PF that can rebound the ball and play defense, Novak won't be that guy. Even though he has legitimate size to play PF (needs more weight and muscle), the guy spends almost all of his time away from the basket. 6rpg at Marquette is pretty good, but 0.1bpg is a concern.

I personally like the idea of getting a pure shooter next to Yao. But I also don't want Yao to be the only person guarding the basket.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i had a strange dream last night that novak got arrested for domestic violence.

10. MC Welk

MC Welk Member

Don't forget about the two Matts: Haryasz and Freje. I feel a white out coming.

11. Nero

Nero Member

True, Chambers was one of those rare 'White Guys' who actually had springs in his legs and could fly. I'll never forget the time Ro Blackman was robbed by Chambers in the ASG in Seattle when Chambers was named as a last-minute replacement, and then went on to become the MVP - even though he really didn't deserve it, Blackman did.

But yeah, the guy could jump out of the gym. Can't honestly say I have seen anything out of Novak to engender the Chambers comparison. More likely he's Kyle Korver v2.0 .

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

LOL... How do you get the random idiot rating?