1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

LMAO. Swift has negative value? Just because he'll never be a double double player? Swift may be slow in the head, be he has his upsides. His contract is ACTUALLY reasonable, since guys like Jerome James get even more. His contract is worth 3(?) years with the last year being a player option, and he is only 26 years old. Tell me again how he has a bad long term contract?

2. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

The sad thing is, with a healthy TMac and Yao, we'll NEVER be in the lottery again for the next 5 to 7 years. So we just blew our chance to draft a young prospect.

3. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

Were we talking about the Magic here? Who cares if the Magic blundered away that trade? Just because they sucked, we have to suck too?

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

For this to be a bum trade, two years from now, Rudy Gay would have to turn out to be as good as Richard Jefferson, TMac has to be out of the league, and Houston has not advanded to the Western Conference championsip game in that two year period.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not after July 12th. Again, that's why this trade can't be announced until July 12th.

As for the negative posts regarding Swift. NEIN! or should that be NENE!

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so have the rockets brass come to their senses yet?

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I still don't like the trade (value wise), but some of these posts are plain silly. Yes our whole team will go down if one of our two star players gets hurt. Is that suprising, considering basketball is a sport where you can only have 5 players on the court at once, and you are considered lucky to get one superstar? The Spurs are screwed in Duncan goes down. Same for the Heat with Wade or Shaq. LA and Kobe too. Mavs and Dirk. Old Bulls and MJ or Pip. Old Rockets and Hakeem. Hell, every championship team post 1990 (where the 80's teams had like 3 HOF players each). If either Yao or T-Mac goes down we were screwed no matter who we drafted or sign as a free agent.

It has been 2 seasons since the T-Mac trade. I really don't count last season because he and Yao only played 31 games together (and won at a 67% clip). The first season they played together they lost to a good Mavs team in 7 games. That is not a bad first season. It usually takes more than 2 seasons to build a championship squad. This years Heat team brought it together in one season, but they did it via trades for veterans and not draft picks.

By the way, since Nene just got 10 mil per yr and he hasn't done much more than Swift, I refuse to believe that Swift had negative trade value. Young big men are a commodity. If we didn't get more from the trade our management is stupid.

#1348 Icehouse, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

I might be wrong, but didn't the heat get to the conference Finals last year??

Besides, with two players scoring in the 30's, we shouldn't be SOL, if one of the two goes down...... that, IMHO is because we are focusing too much on the wrong one of the two.

With TMacs back, we should be running everything through Yao.... he's got to dominate..... & TMac has to get his points the way Kobe did.... off of Shaq. we should have a few set plays for TMAc, but the majority of the playbook should go through Yao. He's been in the league long enough now, that he should be able to dominate....

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Heat did get to the Conf Finals last year, but they remade their supporting cast during the offseason. Walker, Posey, and J.Will were all new.

11. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

In case none of you had a chance to read today's houston chronicle
    "To have people writing me off like my career is pretty much over, that motivates me... I can't wait to get back in that uniform and get back on the court, because it's going to be a hell of a season"
    -McGrady
    "He said the addition of Shane Battier will be a 'smart move' ... plans to add his voice to the recruiting efforts to bring back Mike James"
    - On McGrady

My favorite was
    "When he's (McGrady) on the courts, he's king,and this is his kingdom"

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

people, get over with it. The trade is done. No matter how much we argue, it aint changing.

13. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

Seriously man. Shaq missed as many games as Yao. Last I remember, they were the Champs. How many games did Duncan and Dirk miss this season? or Last season? How can you tell that they'd be screwed if TD and Dirk went down? As for Kobe and Hakeem, it's quite obvious where their teams would be without them.

Besides, I was talking short term. If Yao or TMac misses a game, we should at LEAST have a chance at winning that game. Same way that the Spurs or the Mavs at least have a chance should Dirk or TD go down for a couple of games. Of course, if they go down for a long stretch then they would be screwed.

You forget that the 2005 squad we had is no longer here. Gone are Barry, Sura and James. Deke and Wesley were not what they used to be. These guys were a HUGE factor for our pushing the Mavs to 7 games.

Yes the Heat did it via trades, but they also DRAFTED Wade, who was the single biggest reason they won. Another thing is, I don't really know if the Heat can win again next year.

I agree. It BS to think that Swift has negative value.

14. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

Uhhh... we already knew that. So Knicks fans shoudln't complain and be disappointed too whenever Isaiah makes a trade, right?

15. Rockets Dynasty

Actually the trade is NOT official until all players report AFTER it is officially announced July 12th, and all players THEN pass physicals.

Everyone that says the trade is complete needs to revisit Robert Horry for Sean Elliott

The trade is likely to be completed, but it is certainly not guaranteed until everyone gets a physical.

16. Swami

Swami Member

For the first time in his life, Stromile Swift actually has a chance to make a difference to his team. Just don't report Stromile!!! :rolleyes:

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

That's great to hear...... & I don't want to sound fair weather or anything, but I was totally supportive of the TMac for Francis/Mobley trade.... Maybe I'm giving up on him too early, but what can you really do for the kind of back spasms he's been geting.... Unless there is some amazing medical break through in the next 4 months, I don't see how we can(or should for that matter) expect him to get 30/40 points a night.

18. Coog

Coog Member

I know this topic has been talked to death, but....

As far as I'm concerned, giving up an unknown commodity (Gay) to get rid of a known unproductive commodity (Swift) is a plus. Add in a proven solid player in Battier, who will contribute night in and night out (unlike Swift), and the deal is even better.

Swift was a waste of time. As has been said before, if he couldn't beat out Juwan Howard, what good is he? He's been in the league long enough for people to realize this. The people who've been saying that Swift never had the chance to prove himself are silly. Either Memphis or Houston could have benefited from a dominating power forward. Since Swift never showed the ability to be even an average power forward, much less a dominant one, he sat the bench. NBA teams don't sit quality players for spite.

As far as Gay is concerned, how many times have we seen players labeled as "extremely talented, but questions about his desire/work ethic" turn out to be complete busts? The Rockets still have holes to fill, to be sure, but they're a better, smarter team today than before the draft.

19. clutch0734

clutch0734 Member

I still think that this trade will lead to another bigger move...if that is it, then this was horrible...even if stro was horrible, he wasn't just worth throwing into the deal unless they are trying to free up money....i'm hoping there is more to come

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

unproductive? 9 pts/5 rebs in 20 minutes career reg season
    7.5 pts/4.7 rebs in 17 minutes career playoffs

solid? 10.5 pts/4.8 rebs in 32 minutes career reg season
    6 pts/5.2 rebs in 26.4 minutes career playoffs

also aren't ALL draft picks supposed to be unknowns? they haven't played a single game in the nba thats why their in the draft..