1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could this trade work: Luther Head straight up for JR Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnkamla, Jul 3, 2006.

1. johnkamla

johnkamla Member

Here are how the numbers stack up:
    Head:
    Age-23 Ht.6-3 Wt.185 min-29 pt-8.8 rb-3.3 as-2.7 fg-40% 3pt-36% ft-70%
    Smith:
    Age-20 Ht.6-6 Wt-220 min-18 pt-7.7 rb-2.0 as-1.1 fg-39% 3pt-37% ft-82%

Fairly comparable. Luther's are actually slightly better, BUT if we sign Mike James, Luther becomes expendable because their games/roles are similar, i.e. under-sized combo guard. JR Smith gives us size and good shooting in the backcourt. From NO's perspective - they'll need someone who can backup the point if they lose Speedy Claxton to FA. Plus Kirk Snyder has displaced JR as the starting SG, making Smith expendable. If James signs with us, I'd like to see that deal happen. Thoughts?

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's the kind of deal that could pay off for the Rockets ... high risk with a potential payoff or crash.

But the main thing is I highly doubt JVG would take this guy.

3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Member

I would hate to give up a talented young player like Luther...especially when he's NO trouble. He's a good kid and dont seem the type to clash with coaches. Now, JR Smith is probably a little more talented than Luther and the size is so attractive.........that's hard one. JR may have attitude issues. if he couldnt get along with Byron Scott, he might have problems with JVG ball.

It's not a bad idea

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Yeah, I would love it. If I were the GM, I would do this in a second. I like Luther but he's limited by his size and lack of PG skills. JR has as high of a ceiling as anybody. He could really be great. JVG would never go for it though.

I read over on the Hornets Report that JR's about to get traded to Chicago anyway. I think there's something to it. They really respect the guys providing the info. The deal is PJ Brown and JR for Chandler and Malik Allen.

http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?t=34739

5. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

I really dont think Byron Scott is a good coach by his rep in NJ. Thats just me.

6. rocketsinsider

I havent seen enough of JR's games to pass judgement? But i have to wonder would this really help us? I mean theres probably a reason why he's not getting any PT and is about to be traded.

7. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

JR once/if he matures he will be a beast mark my word.... BUT! Luther head is better than we saw in the regular season last year with both T-mac and Yao back in the line up expect him to do more and he is a much better passer than he is given credit for. when weighing risk and reward... i would do the trade but luthers trade value is much higher than JR's

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Looks as if the Hornets are having one heck of an offseason so far. If they pick up Chandler for PJ Brown and JR, that would be a huge coup for the Hornets.

9. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

I would think its a huge coup for Chicago. PJ Brown is the better PF/C at this point and would shave 8 mill off the cap of Chicago by seasons end. With the Hornets recently signing Peja, I think its a big mistake to be taking on the salary disaster that is Chandler.

10. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

He would if it was Luther and JHo for JR Smith and PJ Brown.

11. Omer

Omer Member

Hmm, is Luther Head's value seriously higher than JR Smith's?
    That's very interesting.
    It would seem like a nice trade for us, but let's see how Head does next season and maybe propose something before the deadline.

12. akuma

akuma Member

for all his "size", has Smith shown anything for it in terms of rebounding, blocks, steals, assists, or defense or higher scoring percentages? in a word, no.

13. high5

high5 Member

Luther knows JVG's system, J.R. does not.

We know Luther is a dedicated worker, there are implications J.R. is not.

IMHO, from win-now perspective, Luther for J.R. is a no-go.

14. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

His main problem is motivation, JR needs someone to get him and keep him motivated while on the court and off the court. Byron Scott and him kept butting heads and i think its a blessing in disguise if we can get him on this team... but Luther isn't the one that needs to be moved

15. dharocks

dharocks Member

The Hornets just signed Bobby Jackson. I don't think they'd have much use for Luther.

16. spankz141

spankz141 Member

2007 1st Round Pick for J.R. Smith?

17. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Nah that is too steep we should have it lottery protected... but honestly Rybo and a 2nd rounder or a 1st rounder lott. protected but they're probably lookin to move J.R. in a package though, cuz they know his value is low

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

They seem like comparable players, except that we know that Head fits in with the team and don't know if Smith would. So, I'd stick with Head, especially since we're in mortgage-the-future-mode now.

19. htownbball

htownbball Member

why does everyone want this guy? do you want a guy that just stands around the perimeter, plays no defense, doesnt rebound, and takes bad shots?

20. Diaw

Diaw Member

and the southwest division would be very tough :(