1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. HarmLess168

HarmLess168 Member

AGAIN, stop rationalizing! Don't compare Gay to Magic, or LBJ or Amare or Kobe TMac KG O'Neal etc. Why? Do we need a superstar right away? Do we need someone who can take over games? Why? We already have two superstars who can take over games for us! All we need is a decent 3rd option.

Of course we can wait 3 years for Gay to develop. Why, do you think Gay will produce ZERO in his 1st and 2nd years and suddenly explode to 25/7/7 in his 3rd year? I'm perfectly happy if Gay does only 12/5/3 in his first year, because that's all a 3rd option needs to do!

If Gay doesn't turn out to be a superstar, maybe he'll be a mediocre player and do 10/5 for his career, which is exactly what Battier has done. If Gay develops into a superstar then it's already bonus.

Again, STOP RATIONALIZING.

2. munco

munco Member

I agree.
    A lot of the people that are supporting this trade are trying to spin things as if we expect Gay to be a superstar. I'm looking for someone that can be similiar to a Josh Howard. A young/athletic #3 option that can hurt you in a variety of ways.

3. Brkp1999

Brkp1999 Contributing Member

I've followed Shane Battier since his days at Duke when he was the main go-to guy. While in Memphis, Battier has taken a back-seat to some better players on the Grizzlies roster. I respect his class-act image and hard work-ethic, but I don't think he has acheived his full potential yet in the NBA. Maybe he can find it here with the Rockets. Yes, granted he is a role-player (averaged 10 pt / 5 reb last year) but I think he'll fit better in JVG's system than Stromile did. That's if Van Gundy is not on a short-leash this year. Who knows? He could be the coveted and reliable third option the Rockets needed all last season. OK, I'm dreaming... I just think we gave up too much for Battier. There should've been another cheap bench player or some future draft picks thrown into the deal. I see what Carroll is trying to do and win now instead of in 5 years (we are all getting impatient!) but this is not the way. I just hope and pray that he is not the biggest off-season acquistion. I wonder if former Rocket Sam Cassell wants to come back to Houston to give some more veteran leadership to this team. I just hope Rudy Gay doesn't turn out to be great and just slap the Rockets in the face! Jerry West has a knack of finding young talent and meshing it together into something called a "basketball team." I've got to wait and see how this trade pans out...

Brkp1999

4. carterwoo

carterwoo Member

Unbeliveable!!!!!!!!!battier is just a midlle role player .If he was traded with SS
    maybe a good trade.that's will be a impartial trde.

5. Diaw

Diaw Member

dont know if it has been posted yet, sorry

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060629

6. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

I don't know about Sam Cassell coming back here...his talk has all been super clippers loyal. He said they have to be "the Jacksons"...sigh...makes me want to sing "she used to be my girl"

7. rocketsinsider

It seems that the more West and the rest of the league talks about the deal the more it seems like we got ripped off :(

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

CD, This is the one we will remember you by. If it works, you'll look like a genius and we'll look like fools. If it doesn't, which I highly suspect this will go down as one of the all-time draft day blunders in Rocket history, you will look like a buffoon.

9. tracymcgrady_01

tracymcgrady_01 New Member

****ING BATTIER IS A **** WIPE, **** THE ROCKETS THEY CAN GO TO HELL IF THEY DONT CUT THIS ****ING DEAL OFF BEFORE JULY 12. WE WONT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH A NUTHOLE ****ER LIKE BATTIER.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Um, nice first post... bad last post though.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

LOL - that's funny. I'll take all the humor I can get at this point.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have to admit that I am not as angry about this as I should be because deep down I expected Dawson & Lindsay to botch this draft. Shane Battier is a very good player but he's simply not worth the 8th pick in the draft. No amount of "spin" can change that. He's the type of player that the Rockets should have drafted 5 years ago when CD upchucked on Eddie Griffin and flushed away 3 1st round draft picks. He's that "solid" type of player that good organizations (and the Rockets no longer qualify as such) manage to find as a matter of routine.

Instead, they have been in the NBA lotto for 5 of the last 7 years and all they have to show for their "efforts" is Yao. The past 10 drafts have yielded Yao & Head and that's it. Years from now, when all is said and done, it will be this record of futility that will provide the epitaph for a once proud franchise.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Haha I he was just a little bit to graphic in his statments lol.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if we allowed just one poster to be like the proverbial town drunk, court jester, etc.? At a primal level, isn't this exactly what many of us feel like saying?

Well, maybe not.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We already have a surplus of just that. Besides, he shouldn't have used all caps. :p

16. job

job Contributing Member

Also, what is wrong with the Rockets official website. There is no true information on this draft or the trade. All this has done is create a limbo for fans. The NBA needs to amend the BYC deadline so this does not happen to teams and their fans.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There is nothing on the official website because by rule the Rockets and Grizzlies cannot even discuss the trade until July 12th. There are a couple articles on the side regarding the trade though.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

2 days later and i'm still pissed about this deal.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Are you asking for advice?
    From what I hear, alcohol and p*rn works for Eddie Griffin.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

alcohol and p*rn are my answers to EVERYTHING.