1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rudy Gay is not in CLUTCHCITY: My theory

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 30, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In order to win a championship, you have to learn lessons from past champions.

I choose the Rockets back-to-back champions as an example.
    It has been over 12 years since the greatest days of the organization.

What have we learned about the players that brought the city the glory it was craving for? they were CLUTCH. they had CONFIDENCE. they had FIRE.

Rudy T, when scouting Sam Cassell, noticed a hustle play where Sam out hustled the opponents for a lose ball. He noticed heart.

if RUDY GAY doesnt have HEART and willingness to TAKE OVER A GAME, how can he help us win a championship? how can he hit a 'KISS OF DEATH' shot? how can he pull a MAXWELL and drop 35 pts on the Suns? if he shows lack of confidence, how can he hit a 3pointer in game 3 of the NBA FINALS?

this factor was my theory on why we didnt draft him. this is CLUTCH CITY. you need to be CLUTCH or you will not be on this team!

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/rudygay.html

Weaknesses: Though he's just 19 years of age, his sophomore year was supposed to be his to take over college basketball. When that didn't happen, people began to question his desire and intensity and whether he has it in him to become great ... He floats in and out of games, and tended to defer to teammates in clutch situations ... Is it a lack of fire, or just a lack of maturity and confidence? Time will tell ... Unselfish to a fault, like Vince Carter, he almost takes being the perfect teammate too far. He's a star and should act like one ... He still struggles to create offense for himself off the dribble, getting the majority of his baskets off of rebounds, or passes from tammates ...

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

^^What do you expect him to say that Gay suck. I know Gay is good and potential all star but tinman is saying that what houston need is fire, hustle and energy. They already have superstars.

I think we all agree that Shane fits in our team very well but everyone in here thinks that we just gave up too much.

4. tedsun

tedsun Member

Is Battier more CLUTCH than GAY? Please refer to his FT% in play-offs. 40% and 33%.

5. MONON

MONON Member

I agree. I think we should have received another 1st round draft pick. There's no question that Shane's heart, hustle, shooting %(2, 3 & free throw), ability to play 3 positions, bb IQ, fundamentals and decision making fits this team like a glove. But for the Griz to move up from #24 to #8 requires another draft pick, that's just the price of doing business. That's the only reservation I have with the move.

The thing that really burns ma ars is all the uproar it created. A week ago most of the posts were dealing with how to get rid of either SS (he doesn't show up half the time) or JH (his numbers aren't enough for his salary), preferably JH since SS can back up Yao. Now it seems we have just traded SS (the greatest 6th man of all time). What a difference a week makes!!

6. Tameway

Tameway Member

Rudy Gay cant bring a Ring to Houston, for his exp.

7. kublick

kublick Contributing Member

How could a healthy T-Mac Team need a rookie to take the clutch shot?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so battier's heart and fire is responsible for memphis' playoffs wins? oh wait..

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess that means West's shrewdness and all around president/GM moves are responsible for all of Memphis' playoff wins. oh wait...

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Battier is a role player that needs stars around him to be successful. He had none in Memphis.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah he ain't all that.. who got the raw kobe for divac and shaq from orlando again?

the problem is he can't get any superstars to memphis..

12. Good Times

Good Times Member

Did anyone not watch the 06 NCAA tourney? Gay was starting to take over games, in the last game Gay was scoring clutch shot after clutch shot to keep the game close. Gay is going to be special, but in college he was too much of a team player and deffered his game to his college buddies. He's just 19, I think now that he's getting paid to be great he's going to realize it's about him being the best and start taking over. Take a look at his defense aswell, he's so long and quick it almost looks effortless for him to keep up with his man. West doesn't hype up players unless he truely believes in them, I've never seen him this excited except when he brought in Shaq (as I'm from LA).

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Gay is a Memphis Grizzly....I hope he rots.....

DD

14. anitasri

anitasri Member

Like so many already ahve said- Shane Battier is an outstanding individual, a genuine leader and a good Basketball player.

But that does not justify giving away Stro for Free. We got hosed- I know it is time to move on- and worry about what they do in the Free agent market and with J ho. JVG still will play Howard as a starter- he was wrong last year, he will be damn wrong this year.

Sign Bonzi, and Bobby Jackson ( Mike james despite all his public statements about money not being important etc will ask for more)

15. Roxer

Roxer Member

go to hell u stupid fxxker

16. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Why Rudy Gay is not in CLUTCHCITY: My theory

WE HAVE A DUMB GM AND SHORT-SIGHTED COACH!!!

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

Shane also shot 50% in the playoffs. And his 33% FT shooting is on 2-6, you can't really take that small sample as a reflection of his clutchness. They were blown out in 3 of those 4 games by at least 10 ppg. I don't think those 4 FTs would have won any of those games. But he doesn't have to be clutch in his shooting. He needs to be clutch in his defense, and I've heard more rave review of his defense than Gays (if there are even any). He's a good passer/3PT/High% shooter and that's what we need, not someone whose gets bitter for being passed up by 7 teams ("I'm going to make all those teams who passed me up, pay"(my bad if he didn't really say this, i'm just taking it from another poster)) and if that's his kind of atitude, how will he react when he doesn't get his minutes or when they are getting blown out? To me, revenge is the worst motivation because revenge fogs your mind of clear thinking and that's not good in a "clutch" situation. We need someone who takes the best of what he's given (""The nice, shiny-red fire engine looks better than the old, shabby teddy bear that's been around the block a few times. But I'm going to do everything I can to earn the city of Houston's respect, to earn Rockets fans' respect") and not just "talk" but actually work his ass off to backup what he says. The difference being, Battier has already proven himself that he's improving as a all around player.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

Dont forget his playoff average of 6 points and 47% free throw shooting.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would love to have Bonzi and Bobby Jackson but I don't know how we can get both of them. I can see maybe one or the other. I think I would rather have Bobby Jackson than Mike James cause Jackson knows his role on his teams and he will be a little cheaper. If we got both of these guys I think we would end up looking like the Houston Grizzlies and not the Houston Knicks. I can live with that.

20. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Jan 3rd, 2006. UConn Vs Marquette.
    Rudy Guy garding Steve Novak.

Gay: 8pts, 7 reb.
    Novak : 41pts, 16 reb.

Gay look far more likely to be Griffin/Swift rather than Pippen/Jefferson. Otherwise why would he slip all the way to #8 in such a weak draft?