1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] After draft day dealings, Rockets ready to take on West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Tmac never approved the signing of Juwan. He had nothing to do with it.

He was upset that they didnt even ask him about who to look at. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Weisbrod had been there and completely took over at mid season. Gabe was demoted.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

sammy -
    Don't go there...I'm in a foul mood about this trade and I will chew your arse up and spit you out.

There is are few on this board who can tell you how Van Gundy's team defense works better than I. One problem is, it all begins with 1on1 matchups and we are going to regret Battier's lack of footspeed when McGrady wears out chasing SG's around.

The "no one can stop Kobe" or "no one can stop Marion" is an old an tired cliche. What any rational person observes is whether or not you were able to force the other team to adapt to the matchups...if Marion has the height advantage...post him up with a bigger, stronger player. Can Battier do that? Maybe. Will Van Gundy let him? No.

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

First of all my preferance is to not play Stro at all. He completely looked lost for most of our games. Second thing is that didn't we all wanted a tall and younger David Wesley. Well, Shane batier is here. He can knock down shots and play defense with tenacity. Shane can play exactly the same defense and this time no Stackhouse will shoot over him. Again i am not happy that we gave up siwft and 8th pick for one player because we lost depth as you mention and thats why i am hoping Rockets do not make the same mistake of acquiring needed player by giving up too much.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Gater's got a point with the tired cliche thing. Anyone can be stopped if the right defense is applied. Dirk Nowitzki is an example that comes to mind. JVG seems to have played his cards right coming up with a defense to limit Dirk in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it's probably the reason Ryan "formely known as the Germanator" Bowen is still here.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Relax buddy....you aint gonna do nethin....go smoke a cigg....by the way....u never answered the question....can Gay stop Marion ? Your talking crap about how Battier cant play D , when he was statistically the bet defensive SF , but you wont comment on Gay's D

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Best*

7. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I think eveybody in the league were picking us to go deep in the playoffs before the season, thats pretty good for a contender. Secondly as i posted above that swift and gay combine is going to effect our depth and hope the rockets don't make the same mistake, but acquiring a player like shane does help our team that can go deep this year in the playoffs.

8. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Well T-mac was guarding Dirk most of the time. Bowen did a nice job but once again The Rockets team defense was excelent in first 2 or 3 games. If you are giving crediet to bowen for shutting down dirk than you can also predict that battier can stick with 2 guards and do a good job.

9. munco

munco Member

I thought we were contenders at the start of last season too. I thought adding guys like Rafer and Swift were the missing pieces, but then I saw us play. When Yao and T-Mac played together we were pretty good, but we still didn't seem like a contender. I felt that the 51 win team from the year before was better and I didn't believe they were a true contender either.

Although I do think Battier helps the Rockets, but I think the trade was incredibly lopsided.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I was just joking about the RyBo thing. JVG's scheme was what really shut Dirk down. That trade's got everyone all rowled up haha

11. user

user Member

Novak cannot play 4. A player take 70% of his shots outside 3 point line cannot play PF.

12. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Yes munco, this trade was incredibly lopsided. I know we could have traded stro and got more than nothing, nothing. SAD

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it saddens me that guys whose basketball opinion i highly respect, GATER/clutch are so down on this thing. i'm trying to like this thing and y'all aren't helping. :)

14. GATER

[
    Yao, TMac and....Shane Battier? Seriously? Tell me more....

It's this year, am I right? Deke was able to handle the heavy backup C minutes now that Stro isn't around...and we got Mike James with our full MLE...right....that did happen...right? He was all we could afford...but that's how it went down...please tell me it did.

And our excellent rotation of Luther Head, Keith Bogans, Chuck Hayes and Ryan Bowen outplayed the Spurs, Mavs, Suns or Clipps in the first round right... it happened that way...please tell me it did...please...I just couldn't stand it if that damned Michael Finley was allowed to come inbounds again...or those clowns Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels or Josh Howard outplayed our bench...they can't do that...right?

And obviously, since we won the title...TMac didn't miss a game with back problems...right? And Yao was really refreshed 'cause the Chinese National Team let him off the hook this summer...Oh great...I just knew they would...

And that damned-nasty old Rudy Gay never did live up to that promise that all of the teams that passed on him were gonna pay...I mean...only Dwayne can get away with those comments!

And since you are being so level with me...you are going to tell me that Shane Battier had a career year...right...14 points and 5 boards...just like his rookie year when he could take all the shots he wanted...beautiful....

Ohhh...and the icing on the cake...the league decided to pull back on the uptempo and favoring quick perimeter players....right? YES...I knew they would...heck every team I'll be walking it up in 2007-08 after they saw how effective our slow transition O carried us to the Rings!

Oh wow...you've made me so happy that Shane brought us that championship and we sent that nasty Mark Cuban back where he belongs...buying the Pittsburg Pirates...or was it the Spurs we beat in the WC Finals...And of course, our man Shane locked down DWade in the Finals...right...it must have happened that way...I mean hey...we don't have any snot-faced college kids on our team...all Vets just like the Heat.

Thanks...I needed the comic relief...because we sure as hell haven't narrowed the talent gap...not in real life

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy Gay could be the next Harold Minor. You guys have to wait to see how things pan out. I remember haters hating on Horry when was drafted.
    Now he has 6 rings.

I remember when people were ecstatic when we got Pippen.

Remember? or do you guys live in Egypt? DE-NILE!

16. GATER

Harold Minor didn't come out of UConn...end of comparison.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Every lottery pick from Connecticut will be a good player from now on ? Is that the theory? It would make some sense if these guys were robots and UConn had some brilliant program for NBA talent, but these are people. Gay is not assured a great career because of the college he went to.

18. munco

munco Member

I agree but Coach Calhoun's program seems to prepare guys for the NBA better than any other program out there right now.

Eventually one of the Uconn lottery picks will fail. Maybe it'll be Gay, but last year Villanueva came out and was the 2nd best rookie. I think Gay is more athletic and has an even better jumper. I'm not ready to bet against the Uconn Lottery Pick Run.

Charlie Villanueva
    Emeka Okafor
    Ben Gordon
    Caron Butler
    Rip Hamilton
    Ray Allen
    Donyell Marshall

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Tell that to Scott Padgett (who I'm assuming Novak's being brought in to replace, essentially).

20. chewy

chewy Member

Before being traded, wasn't T-Mac lobbying for the Magic to trade the #1 pick for some veterans since he didn't want to wait for some "project" to develop? I wonder how that project is working out for Orlando now...