1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the big rush to trade Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by richirich, Jun 29, 2006.

1. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Why the big rush? Trading Gay for another asset would be easy over the next coupla months - and maybe get people into a bidding war. Trading Stromile for next to nothing on his own over the next coupla months would be possible as well.

But this smells to me a lot like our acquisition of Rafer for Mike James. Sura went down and JVG?? had a major cow and pulled the trigger way too fast. Raptors wanted Rafer gone and I think we could have done it for a lot less - perhaps even a 2nd round draft pick and kept MJ and his Bird rights. Would you trade Novack to get Rafer? I would.

Maybe JWest knows how CD and JVG are so he told them he had another deal floating and SBatt would be gone. I also kinda wonder if Jerry and Steve Patterson weren't working together on the 6-7 trade as well with Minny just to screw the Rockets and set up the Memphis deal.... saw it on another string.

Perhaps our management is a little nervous and twitchy, maybe a little too predictable?

Battier is an average NBA player - not someone we couldn't replace from 50 other guys across the league. He is essentially Juwan Howard with a 3P shot.

2. Rocketballer2

Rocketballer2 Member

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

something i wondered about, as well. why not see how rudy plays with the rockets first??? if he doesn't fit in, there would have been plenty of teams willing to trade for him - and - they probably would have offered more than shane battier.

also, why the hell did we trade a potential star to a team not just in our conference, but in our own damn division?! :mad: :mad:

i am still at a loss for words on this trade. stupid. idiotic. shortsighted. those words are not sufficient.

4. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

from what I've read this deal wasin place before the draft even started. Rudy Gay wasn't on the Rockets "list" so they had to trade him to Memphis.

Helleva Front Office Houston has.

5. Roxer

Roxer Member

Ask the no brainer GM, WTF! that is the most ridiculous and stupid thing i've ever seen, except that RJ deal.

listen what j.West said in memphis
    He said probably the second best night a an executive period with teh first being Kobe. He said they broke out champagne and everybody feels thrilled over this draft. He says it almost worked out perfectly.

6. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

Im still surprised the rockets couldn't milk more out of the #8 pick in the draft than Battier. And they gave up Swift. I would have expected them to get another player or Memphis' 24th pick and maybe their 1st rounder next year. But just getting Battier is weak. You mean to tell me Battier was the best offer they got for Rudy Gay....no other teams could offer something better?

7. TracyMcCrazyeye

we seriously jumped the gun on this one. i don't understand WHY we jumped on this trade so quickly. right when we got rudy gay, bucher comes in telling us that we traded the damn pick.

there could have been better options out there. stro+rudy gay+x for rashard lewis anyone?

8. compucomp

compucomp Member

A diplomatic way of saying "HA HA THOSE BUMS IN HOUSTON ARE THE BIGGEST IDIOTS EVER!!!!!!!!"

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

How would Memphis know who was on our list? Couldn't we just tell them that Gay was on our list? Somehow, West must have known who was on our list.

10. Jimes

Jimes Member

Yeah, a good question is whether they had a binding agreement beforehand saying "if we don't get any of these five players, we will trade #8 + swift for Battier".

Another question is if we had to disclose the names of the five players and if (this is for all you conspiracy theorists), knowing them, West somehow meddled and got the Blazers or T'Wolves to get those players knowing that we'd be forced to give up Gay.

I'm leaning toward "yes" and "no, but fun to discuss".

11. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

well, it wouldn't take much to know Brandon Roy was #1 on the list since Houston tried so hard to move up to get him. It was understood that Sheldon Williams was going 5 to Atlanta...so that takes out one potential player. Bargani was going #1...so that takes out another player. That means list was probably Roy, Foye, Morrison, Thomas & i guess Aldrige

I think a bigger question is how the hell does Rudy Gay NOT make that list???

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Just an idea!! JVG who didn't want any rookie . he made sure of it!! :p

13. huslinone

huslinone Member

Conspiracy theory or not, I think this has legs. So, Jerry West knows who is on the Rockets list, the 5 players. He knows that he gets Rudy Gay - who he obviously wants - if the other 5 are gone. You going to tell me he did not make that call to Portland and let them in on his trade to Houston? BS - I would be willing to put all the money in the world on that one. Like Nicholson said, YOU'RE G'DAMN RIGHT I (HE) DID!!!! Jeez....how bad do the Rockets look in all of this - what a bunch of morons. I can honestly say that I am amazed at the complete lack of knowledge, across the board, that this time has in upper management. How many times do they get a free pass? Complete morons.

And how much worse do they look that Jerry West is out there championing the fact that he fleeced the Rockets. I would love to be in the room when all of our morons hear that Jerry West says this is the greatest day he has had besides getting Kobe. What the heck do they say to themselves? You friggin morons - West is telling everyone how friggin stupid you are!!! To the nation!!! I am so friggin pissed off at the management on this team. What a friggin joke. Unbelievable joke. How can they possibly defend this trade to anyone? I need to see someone tell me why they thought this was a good idea. I *need* to see JVG tell me how much better a player Battier is than the potentially fantastic Gay.

Friggin morons.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is another aspect of the trade that shows just how pitiful the Rockets front office is.

Let's assume that they are justified in their reasoning (as ridiculous as it is) that Gay isn't worth their time and that they need to trade him for a marginal role player to win big. Let's assume this is justified. Then what in the heck was the big hurry to trade the guy?!? The only reason to hurriedly make a deal on draft day is if the other team is on the clock picking for you and CD didn't even manage to net Memphis' #24!

Do you really mean to tell me that Dawson and JVG thought this deal was such a huge steal that they felt they couldn't let the opportunity slip away? They seriously didn't think someone would offer something better than just Shane Battier - even say, Shane Battier + a 2nd round draft pick in 2009?!? You seriously mean to tell me that Dawson turned to Gumby in the draft room with a sh*t eating grin on his face and said, "I cannot believe this. They are willing to give us Shane f*cking Battier and all we have to do is give them our lottery pick and throw in Stromile Swift. West has really lost it. Christmas is coming early in Houston this year, baby."

He might as well have just bent over while he was at it.

15. huslinone

huslinone Member

It's like a bad remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. How can people smart enough to buy, run, manage a professional sports team, be complete idiots.

How can anyone make a decision this bad? Un-friggin-believable. What the hell are they feeling when Memphis and Jerry West are completely dancing in the streets like it's Christmas? Can they honestly believe this was a good move?

16. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

With all the info available now on what went down - wouldn't you just love to play poker with these guys?

"Hey Carroll ya got any aces or royalty in your hand?"

"Gosh I guess I don't, Rich."

"Got more than one of the same card Carroll?"

"Nope!"

Got any straights?"

"Nope!"

"OK Carroll, take your whole pile of chips and ante it into the middle....."

:p

17. jaychi

jaychi Member

evertyhing is rush for JVG.he does not like to wait for players to get better.we could have traded Gay and Swift for Roy!

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess we really wanted Shane Battier, but I agree we could have been more patient. Especially with the July 12th issue.

DD

19. user

user Member

Maybe they found out that Gay's brain type is not the right one. I remember that someone said Money start using those brain type testing to judge players.

Better check JVG's brain type to be sure.

20. kegray34

kegray34 Contributing Member

First thing, the Rockets were NEVER going to take Richard Jefferson and they admit it. That pick was 100% called by NJ. RJ was nowhere to be seen on the Rockets radar.

The roll of the dice on the deal was that JVG will not put his trust into a rookie to step up and play a serious roll for a contender. Battier is a excellent defender and gives you a all around game every night. The Rockets are not looking for scorers(T-Mac and Yao need to take 60+% of the shots.
    They gave up Stro because NOONE wanted him and his contract including Houston and Memphis. Stro is more of a open court PF. Would fit in nice in Dallas or Phoenix off their benches.

Rudy Gay is lazy and will be a problem,just watch and see. I was all for Brandon Roy or Morrison if he fell,but never Gay.

Now it is time to do a Sign and trade of Head for Peja.
    This team is ready to win NOW if T-Mac stays healthy. Gay would need 2+ years to help make a serious run.