1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our starting lineup for 2006-7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

W/o Wesley last year we prob could have had the first pick.

Wesley played out of position a lot last year and those were his worst shooting games. He is slowing down, but better and more important to this team (at least last year) than what most here give him credit for.

If we are essentially losing last year's Wesley, Gay and Swift for Battier...it looks even worse imo.

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Battier can play 3 positions. He will be a 2/3 just like he has been his whole career. I know the chronicle said he will play 4 but I do not believe unless the matchup calls for it. He is too effective of a perimeter defender to be banging down low, but he will if need be. He will play about 35-40 minutes a game next year can easily backup TMac as well when he goes out but will play a majority of his time at SG.

I am not talking to you now Matt. Please everyone quit underselling Battier because "his stats aren't very good" for a Memphis team who basically all had way below average stats. He is as efficient as they come in EVERY facet of the game. You can bash the trade all you want because we totally should have at least got the 24th pick, but please quit calling Battier a scrub. He is one of the best role players in the league. If that means scrub then you never watched the 94-95 Rockets who we all idolize now. They were all role players with pretty pitiful stats but they played well together. I think Yao and Tmac will benefit so much with this trade. We need depth badly now so let's hope FA doesn't rape us as well.

3. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

The thing i don't undestand is why we didn't get Memphis #24 pick. That makes no sense. It's as if the Rockets wanted Battier more than the Grizzlies wanted Gay.

4. high5

high5 Member

Well said.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...then the bottom falls out, and they have to get through the gauntlet of the western conference - and oh yeah, Miami has Dwayne Freaking Wade, who has put himself on a whole other level that neither Tracy nor Yao nor Shane freaking Battier has ever reached and that few NBA players in history have reached -- in his 3rd NBA season

And don't forget one of them shows up for half a season because his back hurts or his baby's mother's cousin's brothers uncle's mother got shot or is in labor.

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Assuming we sign Mike James, our lineup will probably look like this:

PG: James/Alston
    SG: McGrady/Head
    SF: Battier/Novak
    PF: Howard/Hayes
    C: Yao/Mutumbo

Obviously, we would like to upgrade at PF. But nevertheless, this looks like 50+ win team to me, assuming good health.

7. tedsun

tedsun Member

I can almost imagine that in the next season Yao's committed 5 or 6 fouls in mid rest.

8. high5

high5 Member

I agree.

I'd just like to add 3rd string PG for minimum and bring back Bogans if possible.

And we have flexibilty to sport very good small ball lineup consisting of Alston/James/T-Mac/Battier/Yao when necessary.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We haven't signed Mike James, and no, this isn't a 50 win lineup. We need much more depth, especially with T-Mac's chronic back issues. All of our backups (with the exception of Alston) are not that good, and Howard is the worst starting 4 in the league.

Heat - very deep
    San Antonio - very deep
    Dallas - very deep
    Houston - no where near as deep, it's not even worth talking about

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sign Mike James with the MLE.
    Trade the trade exception for Drew Gooden. (it matches perfectly)

PG: Mike James/ Rafer Alston
    SG: Tracy McGrady/ Luther Head
    SF: Shane Battier/ Steve Novak/ Ryan Bowen
    PF: Drew Gooden/ Juwan Howard/ Chuck Hayes
    C: Yao Ming/ Dikembe Mutombo

Only hole would be back-up C position. That is a sick line-up IMO. And only two moves to do it.

11. Furious Jam

Is my lineup so different from the one that won 50+ two years ago?

12. high5

high5 Member

I'm afraid I don't see Gooden signing a deal starting at $4.2M a year.

I'd like to see him here, but TE isn't gonna do it.

13. Furious Jam

Can you really acquire Drew Gooden for nothing but a TE? I'm no cap wizard, but it seems like something else would have to be traded, I think.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How many teams will Battier be required to bang down low?

Dirk plays outside for Dallas
    Marion plays outside for Phoenix
    Garnett is an outside player for the Wolves
    Odem plays outside for the Lakers
    Haslem plays mostly outside for the Heat

It seems most of the teams have power forwards that tend to play facing the basket a lot these days.

Off the top of my head there are only a couple of teams that I think Battier could not be effective guarding at the 4 spot and that would be S.A. with Duncan and L.A. Clippers with Brand.

Gasol plays in the post but he is not about to over power anyone.

I cant think of anyone else in the West but even if I missed someone the point is the same. On most nights Battier should be able to guard anyones PF in the paint if need be.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well if Cleveland wants cap space, they would do it. I don't think they think highly of Gooden either.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Gooden sucks. We, sadly, get the same amount of production out of Juwan Howard.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Gooden > Swift, IMO.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not saying much.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look, I freely admit if Tmac or Yao go out, we are toast, but we would be toast even if we kept Swift and Gay.

You have 2 ways of looking at it.

1. Tmac will recover and be the Tmac that we know and love - and on the same level as Dwayne Wade.

or

2. Tmac's back is toast and we can not count on him at all.

I think the Rockets are of the opinion that last season was an aberation, and that they will be contenders again with some tweaking.

They gave up Swift (who was a mistake) and a rookie that won't be a real threat for 3 years for a solid guy who can play multiple positions.

I like it a lot.

DD

20. high5

high5 Member

He's had his up's & down's during his first two seasons, but since he moved to Cleveland, his found some consistency.

IMHO there is no doubt he would bring improvement to our PF position.