1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Roy = Reece Gaines?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

1. rserina

rserina Member

Jacquescas: I hear what you are saying and I can agree that we could replace Luther Head, but a second-round pick in this year's draft will not bring us what Head would this year. And I am still not as sold on Roy as everyone else. He is very good, but I don't see him as appreciably better than Brewer, who we likely could get at the #8. I guess this team just has too many holes to fill for these two draft choices and the MLE, and a Brewer/Head tandem would take care of the two for at least the next two seasons.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

You know, I think a lot of this "jack of all trades but master of none" stuff is innacurate. I would guess a lot of it has to do with perception. Let me explain...

If my stats look like this... 12ppg 2rpg 1.2apg 41%FG 40%3PT 74%FT

What would people say about me? Well they'd most likely say "he's not strong in any particular category, but he's a great 3PT shooter".

Now what if my stats look like this... 21ppg 6rpg 4.1apg 51%FG 40%3PT 80%FT

What would people say about me? Well they SHOULD be saying that I'm a very good scorer and rebounder, a good passer, a great shooter especially from 3, and an excellent FT shooter. Yet, these are basically Roy's stats and he is considered "solid or good at everything...not great at anything". It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if one of his categories was clearly less impressive than the others, it would make people perceive his stats differently. I think it's more like "Great at everything...not spectacular at anything".

Anybody understand what I'm saying?

3. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Yes, I got you man. Its funny how people always have to knock a player on something. This guys is definately no Reece Gaines. If you had to bring them up in the same sentence, I'd say Reece Gaines wishes he could be as good as Roy is coming out of college.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Exactly. Their games might be similar, but the expectations of what Roy will be able to accomplish in the league is higher.

Battier is who I've been thinking of as well. And, understanding that this is a weak draft, and given what people have been saying about Roy, that seems like a realistic expectation. A solid but not spectacular starter. Whether he can create offense or not is beside the point -- I think I can expect the level of his contribution to be similar to the level Battier would bring us.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

who is this?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

another good one

7. ClutchCityReturns

Shelden Williams? (EDIT: I just found it...sort of funny, but there's definitely a lot of truth to it)

Not sure on the other one. It's not from this draft class is it? The 18 year old comment leads me to think no. Personally I think it's a little too hard to guess if you don't at least provide a year. (EDIT: Yeah, I definitely need a draft year for this one).

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well the first one was from 2000

the second was from 2001

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

Reece gaines went #15, but in one of the strongest drafts in NBA history.

What's the highest spot Roy could have been taken in the 2003 draft?

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Eddie Griffin

11. ClutchCityReturns

I don't know if that's right because I didn't google it, but that's the only one I came up with too.

12. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

That is Eddie Griffin. He played one year at Seton Hall, had two incidents and was an amazing talent.

If his head was straight, he could have been a fantastic player. He was a phenomenal shot-blocker/rebounder who had crafty moves around the paint. If he would've panned out he could have been the perfect compliment to Yao Ming. A great rebounder/shotblocker with range and a nice shooting stroke.

Instead he had to go shooting at his girlfriend!!

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's not dead yet Khan. He may still make something of his career.

14. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Are you saying that Roy is a flawless player and a surefire superstar? Surely he must have flaws, even LeBron and Wade have several flaws.

He doesn't play explosive, he doesn't have tremendous range, he doesn't have a PG handle like people are saying he is. He's not a perfect player.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yea but he's a huge upgrade over the garbage we have at that position. Most importantly, he's the most complete player coming out of college. Kind of like how Danny Granger came out of the last draft. That guy has nowhere near the upside of many other players in the last draft but he simply was the most ready for the NBA. Roy will be the same and would be a solid third scorer on this team.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

to those who couldn't figure this one out...

none other than mark madsen.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think Roy would have been picked over these swingmen:

7. Chicago Bulls Kirk Hinrich, G, Kansas
    10. Washington Wizards Jarvis Hayes, G/F, Georgia
    11. Golden State Warriors Mickael Pietrus, G/F, France
    13. Memphis Grizzlies (from Houston) Marcus Banks, G, UNLV
    (traded to Boston)
    14. Seattle Sonics (from Milwaukee) Luke Ridnour, G, Oregon

The draft was strong but 6 other guards (TJ ford not listed) went above Gaines (not counting the studs like wade).

#37 Icehouse, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  18. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Nope, I am not saying he is flawless. I'm just saying that my money is on this predraft comparison/projection of Brandon Roy being far from accurate this time next year.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Brandon Roy = Reece Gaines.

Yep. Yep. That's the ticket....and now if Toronto, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Atlanta, Minnesota and Boston will just believe that.

20. Skeptic

Skeptic Member

Roy has the potential to be a starter for the Rockets for the next five to 10 years. Head will never be anything more than a good role player. A GM will trade a good role player for a starter everytime. Head is nice, but he is not irreplaceable.