1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Established Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jun 24, 2006.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In response to one of the longest threads in clutchcity history, i've always that the rox should target a young player or a player of the same age to place in the mix with T-Mac and Yao. Even though Yao and Tracy are still young, the Rox shouldn't waste this yrs trying to get a really young player to develop. Unlike others who like Reddick,Brewer, Carney or whomever, i dont think any will push the Rox into contending status this season in the west.

Everyone thinks the Rox need a 2/3. The camps are split so i would just like to throw out some players names and options. Because the Rox have a te,mle and a expiring contract in sura, they have some bullets if they choose to use it:

Josh Childress- he's long,23, shot a good percentage from the field and although he only shot 65 3's he hit half. He's very athletic and has some seasoning. He's the same agae as just about any player you draft. Would you be willing to give up the #8 for him?

Ricky Davis- 27, very atheletic. Was once known as a gunner, but since being traded has shot at least 45% from the field. Can get his own shot anytime, attack the rim, competitive and will pass the ball(5asst per). He's not a 3pt guy, good midrange shooter/scorer. He makes about 6m per. Would a package of Stro or Howard or Sura and Head be good enough to get him If so, should the Rox pull the trigger.

Al Harrington- 26,big atheletic combo forward. Can play the 3 or 4 at 6'9 245. Ok 3pt shooter at 35% but more of a big post up 3. Would really make the rox a tough matchup on the offensive end, but can guard 3. Would be very effective against matchups like Dallas and Minny. Is a free agent and is looking at about 9m per. A sign and trade involving Sura and the te would put the Rox in the ballpark, would you do it.

Rashard Lewis- 26, the ideal fit from the hometown kid. Is long and atheletic a very good 3 ball shooter, decent rebounder and can also post up smaller guys. Very durable and really a ideal fit. Makes about 9m but can opt out after this season. Could force a trade. Would Howard and Head and 31 be too much or not enough. The Sonics might be lookinf to dump salary.

Radmonovich- 25, tall rangy big guy 6'10 250. Can stretch the defense at the 3 or 4 spot. Durability is a issue. A free agent but said he will take mle to start and play with clipps. What would it take to get him in Houston? Maybe mle or maybe more.

These are just a couple of players, but there are many more on the trading blk. Feel free to input.

2. leebigez

I even like a gu like Q. Woods who played pretty well and kept his nose out of trouble this season.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Of the players you mention Al Harrington is the guy I want, even more then Corey Maggette. Our front line would be sick! I'd give up Stro and the #8 in a SnT. That would give us:

Yao at the 5
    Harrington at 3/4
    Tracy at 2/3/4
    JH & Hayes as backup 4s

Then we can only hope to get a starting SG and PG help in free agency. Getting an established player like Harrington would be 10 times better than drafting some unknown quantity. The problem is I don't want our backcourt killing us for the 3rd consecutive season.

I don't like Rashard Lewis nearly as much as most people here. To me, he's a 6'10 SF who can't play defense against any position. When he's injured it seems like the Sonics do just fine without him. I know he can shoot but his handle is poor.

4. leebigez

I thought the Rox should have went after Harrington last season. If the Rox started him at the 3, teams would have to make a decision to help of Ming or Tracy. In addition the other teams best defender would have to guard him instead of Tracy, freeing up Tracy. When the Rox play Dallas and Howard goes out, you can slide him over and he's big and strong enough to play Dirk. I just have a high value on him because i used to watch the Pacers when he had chances to started and he's kind of a freakish type athelete. A guy that big shouldn't be able to play the 3 spot, but he can. I would like to see the Spurs or any other team match up with the Rox with Tracy and Al at the 2/3 spots along with Ming.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Of that group everyone is bedazzled by the names Harrington, Lewis and Radmanovic. And I'd love any of them -- but they would cost some serious coinage. Ricky Davis would be my choice in the group as well as Qyntel Woods, the least pricy of the lot. Davis and Woods both can play SG as well as SF and they bring more than enough firepower to free Tracy McGrady. If we don't get Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy or LaMarcus Aldridge in the draft, they would be very good acquisitions. Also, both are realistically .... "acquirable."

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Radmonovich for a MLE, HELL YEAH!

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Qyntel Woods, he's still damaged goods for his involvement in dog fighting. This team needs some meanness, we need a guy who doesn't feel bad kicking puppies.

8. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

what do you guys think is Rashard's value?

I guess swift+ #8 + 1.6 TE should be his minimum value.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

TE can't be used that way. Anyway, Rashard is a borderline All-Star, Swift is a borderline starter.

10. Ryan Bowen MVP

Didn't he have a 45 point game last season? If his team didn't suck so bad last year he may have had a chance to make the all star team.

11. hle6

hle6 Member

If the Rockets can first trade with chicago
    JH + 8 for DM + 4

then trade with Atlanta

Swift + 4 for Al Harrington

then trade with toronto for Mike James then sign any PF in the free agency

our line up would look something like this

Rafer
    DM
    TMAC
    Al Harrington
    Yao

12. trifecta333

trifecta333 Member

I think the Rockets should do something to get Harrington and trade up to get their #5 pick as well. Maybe Stro, Luther, and our #8 for their #5 and Harrington. Then we take Roy with the #5 pick.

13. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'm only somewhat interested in Childress. I think some of you guys are suffering from the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Are you serious about starting DM at the 2? I don't even think jopatmc believes we could depend on DM being our starting 2.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Harrington is an UNrestricted FA. Save you brains cells on the draft day trade scenarios.

16. supertruck97

supertruck97 Contributing Member

If I was going to choose someone to go after, I would think someone like Mo Peterson from Tor woudl be a perfect fit. A 6'6" SG with defense and a sweet 3pt shot...Sounds like a great fit with our squad. Not sure what we'd have to give up though for it to work under the CBA.

Something centering around Mo Pete and #35 for our #8 + Filler could work.

I think he would be a great fit for the current squad.

Childress is also a good option, though he seems to be more of a rhythm shooter than a spot up shooter, which is more of what we need.

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Draft: "Houston selects, ________".
    Result: You got your man.

Free Agency: "We'll give you $________, for ______years, to play for us.
    Possible Result: "S##$, I got a family to feed"......failure.
    Possible Result: You got your man/men.

Trade: "We'll give you ______, for _________, and throw in _______".
    Possible Result: "Bwwaahahahahahaahahahha!"........failure.
    Possible Result: You got your man/men.

Try as they may, free agency and/or trade may yield nothing positive. Hopefully the draft will work out for the best.

I've always liked Josh Childress, though.

18. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

Yes, I like his attiude also. He is JVG type of player.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would like to throw MoPete to the list. I really like his game and I think he would be a perfect fit on the team.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Very simple. McGrady plays the 2 from the top on offense and Miles plays the 3 offensively. Defensively, Miles gets the better of the 2,3 matchup. Miles can defend the perimeter like a mad dog, especially after Van Gundy gets in his ear.

Miles has very good midrange offensive game, especially from the left side of the floor. Him and McGrady would cause all sorts of matchup problems for defenders.