1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So what was in that bowl in the locker room that Riley was hiding?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tigerknee, Jun 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Was it a midget stripper? :eek:

Anyhoot, I didn't get to watch the ending so if anyone knows, this cat is curious.

Thanks in advanced!

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas had a bowl in their locker room too. Problem was Cuban kept dropping turds in it.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It was cards with the trophy on it. Players dumped in photos of family and other personal things. After wins Riley would add more cards. In other words it was a bowl of overhyped bulls$#t.

4. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Well that was pretty lame. Thanks for the scoop

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

You guys can think it's lame until you're blue in the face but the bottom line is that Pat Riley is a great motivator and he had a lot of egos to harness on that Heat team. He came up with an original way to bring them all together as one.

Did this method really make a big difference in the series? There's no way to know, obviously. But what I do know is that they're all going to get a ring on opening night next season, and that's not lame at all.

6. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Amen!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mostly agree with you. Riley is a great coach and I am glad he has vindicated himself. However bowl or no bowl they still win this thing in 6. You say there is no way to tell, and you are right. But come on... A bowl? Even if it turned out to be a great motivational tool it is still a weak, anti-climatic, overhyped story. The way the media built this thing up had us thinking Wilt's soul was in there. Instead... Pieces of paper.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Hey!!! I was a great motivator.

Sincerely,
    Ron Jeremy errrrrrr Stan Van Gundy

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well, I don't think they requested that the media build it up like that. Personally when I heard what it was, I thought it was pretty cool. Not just the regular cards in there, but the ones of the players together and with their families.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that's the media's fault, not Riley's.

11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

With the way the mavs played after game two, it's probally their balls.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No one said it was Riley's fault.

13. moomoo

moomoo Member

It was a MacGuffin. Same shyte that was in Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Riley brought all those INDIVIDUALS into a family/team atmosphere.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Riley was going to get a naked picture of the owner, and tear off a piece of his clothing piece by piece for each win... but Lou Brown had already done that for the Cleveland Indians.

Seriously, though... it didn't seem like much... but it was something that they all obviously bought into. After that point, it doesn't matter what it is... it could have been a bowl, a picture, a plate of food... all that matters is that every member of the team was into it, and unified by it.

As someone already said... a bunch of different personalities, different agendas, different backgrounds all came together and believed/was interested in something... that's all it was, and all it needed to be.