1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Good Read] Barack Obama: The End Of Small Politics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Jun 19, 2006.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I like Obama's potential but he needs more seasoning IMO. I want to him to flush out positions on most of the cutting edge and controversial issues of our day before making a final judgement. It's very obvious he is a sharper blade than most senators. I love his appeal against entrenched corruption but let's see some substance from him on this before he runs for president.

Let's not get caught up too much in the personality, charisma and personal appeal of presidential candidates. This is exactly how the disaster know as GWB got elected. Voting for president means voting for an administration, the people who would be put in key positions and the power-brokers who would hold sway in the back rooms. Right now, I have no feel at all for an Obama administration.

If the Dems nominate Kerry or Hillary, they've definitely lost me again. The jury is still out on Barack Obama. If he demonstrates some independence from the traditional powers that hold the Democratic party hostage, we may have something here. But I'm not convinced yet.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again on here: If he runs in '08, he's got my vote. I've been saying this ever since I watched him give a speech at the Democratic Convention in '04. The man's got everything people look for in a president, and if he lives up to everything he says he would (which is a very, very hard thing to do), I think he could be one of the great ones. I honestly do.

That speech is everything I, and what I could imagine, every other American wants to hear. He's just pure genius when it comes to politics.

If there is a black president anywhere in our near future, this is the man.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is the speech I was talking about. Stream link is at the top.

Obama's DNC Speech

5. crimson_rocket

He was on Conan a while back when they were in Chicago. Definitely captivating and charismatic speaker. Does anyone else notice that he sounds exactly like the Rock?

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the most part, I like what I've seen of Obama, but we are still not at a place where a black Democrat can be elected as president. In addition, I think experience matters a lot, when we're talking about electing someone to the most powerful office in the world. Bush is exhibit #1. I could maybe see Obama as a VP, or running in another 10 years or so.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There is no time to waste, there is no other candidate in the Democratic party that comes close to Obama's electablility.The old guard of the party are proven losers, too easily lampooned by Rove and his media minions. Don't kid yourself, charisma and image are the biggest part of getting elected. Since the polarization of the two party system splits the issues about 50/50 and no one can be purely Rebublican or Democrat (see Bush on immigration) a candidate has to overcome his political positions with his image as an agreeable leader.

After 8 years of Bush I think the people of America would come to intelligent, inspiring oratory like moths to a flame. Bush offered a higher moral ground than the Dems in 2000 due to 8 years of overexposure of the Clinton foibles and Mubarak could return the favor in 08.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think with someone as charismatic as Obama the racism that would prevent a black president can be overcome. After all non-racists do outnumber the racists.

If the Democrats continue falling apart, being spineless, and suffering defeat after defeat, in 10 years it will be too late. If, in this next Presidential election, the one image that defines the Democrats is Hilary Clinton, then the damage won't be that easy to overcome.

They need Barak now. His message is one that can unify, and will be such a contrast to the vastly upopular Bush, that it can motivate the Dems base to vote.

That has been the problem for them lately. The GOP base has been motivated by fear of terrorists, and homosexuality. Those issues motivated a lot of GOP voters to come out. Many Democratic voters stayed at home, because they weren't afraid of those things. The Democratic message wasn't one of hope, and they weren't inspired to get out there and vote. Thus we have two Bush victories.

Obama can give would-be Democratic voters the hope and inspiration they need to get out there and vote. I don't see any other candidate that can really do that.

As far as inexperience, it wasn't just lack of experience that has made Bush's presidency a failure. It was much worse than that.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm not so sure Barak is a defining unifyer. His message is clearly impressive, but it discounts the merits of Republican entrenched ideology. I don't think he grasps that...

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

ROX can you define those merits?

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yep...but the real question is whether Obama could. If not, he is just another Genie in a bottle and no amount of rubbing and jerking by leftys will make him come out...

#31 ROXRAN, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mighty Republican hate machine hasn't been aimed at Obama yet. Believe me, when it happens all those "centrists" and "moderates" who have been convinced that Dean and Reid are wild-eyed radicals are going to see Obama as the second coming of Karl Marx. Combine that with white fence sitting voters who are uncomfortable with blacks and you've got an unelectable candidate.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You have a point giff but I think you might be selling the minority vote short. Between the hispanics and blacks you've got huge untapped potential for swinging an election.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They did try some test runs at him after he was so popular at the DNC in 2004. But you are right they haven't focused on him yet.

I just think because they will focus on whoever the nominee is that it should be Obama. He will make the hardest target to score hits on. His inexperience could help him, because he won't have that much of a record for them to try and spin into attacks. His rhetoric is uniting without being weak, and giving in. He seems capable of surviving the attack machine.

It because they will mount a focused attack on the candidate no matter who it is, that I believe Obama has the best chance of withstanding the attack, and making it backfire.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with Gifford. No way a black Deocrat becomes president anytime soon. Probably not even a black Republican in 2008. It is not just overt racists but also averag people that wouldn't quite feel comfortable having someone "different" in power and conservative Republicans will automatically see a black Democrat as more of a leftist/threat to their ideas.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It was said in JFK's time that the US would not elect a Catholic but he overcame it with charisma....and lot's of money.....and the mafia.

:D

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Bingo.

Let's hope the Dems run the best candidate based on his or her vision, charisma, and leadership.

Voters are often much smarter than we give them credit for. Trying to appease the opinion polls and the what if's is what brought in a watered down Kerry last time.

The Democrats have to bring forward a candidate that people want to vote FOR, rather than trotting out what they believe is the least offensive alternative to the current gang of misfits.

18. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

Exactly. I'm from Chicago, and back in '83 people were saying that theres no way in hell that a racial city like Chicago would elect a black mayor (Harold Washington). And yes that mayoral race got ugly, but Washington was victorious in the end. The American people are a lot smarter than some may think. Especially at a time like this when so many people are fed up with whats going on in DC.

But at the same time, you never know. I was in disbelief for days when Bush got re-elected. :eek: