1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Avery is an a$$

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigSherv, Jun 19, 2006.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Did you all see how rude he was to that reporter in the post game interviews. The guy asked a normal question, "What did you think of the foul call with 1.9 seconds left?"

Then then went on a rant asking the reporter over and over what he thought.

The reporter kept saying that no one cares what he think and readers want to know what the coach thinks.

Then the reporter said he will ask another question. He slips up for a second and then Avery goes, "Quit your stuttering, no one likes it when you stutter."

What an a hole.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i've never heard anyone say anything bad about avery as a person. he was under a lot of stress and pretty disappointed, i'm sure. i've been that rude and worse under less stressful situations.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

ESPN.com - In a post-game interview with ESPN, a heated Josh Howard denied calling timeout twice before refs charged the team with their final timeout, potentially costing them the game.

"If that's what he's saying, that's what he's saying. I know I didn't call a timeout twice. I didn't even say nothing to anyone. I just made a sign like that." [Howard places his hands in the shape of a 'T'] - Howard told ESPN's Daily Dime.

Howard eventually lost his cool and erupted on the reporter.

"What am I saying to you right now, dog? Please, don't come off on me right now because I'm going to come off on you, and I'm not in a great mood right now. Get out of my face, man. Get out of my face."

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's hilarious watching the Avery Johnson meltdown every time Dallas loses. Remember last year in the Houston-Dallas series, "we don't make excuses!"

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We don't make excuses unless we lose ;)

9. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

I like Avery as a coach and as a player, but last night, his dark side took over his own self. It was an ugly scene.

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I rather enjoyed Avery's mockery of the media.

Man, if I were in their shoes, being forced (or fined if not) to come out to talk to the media and get barraged by ridiculous questions like that after a HUGE loss.......I wouldn't be very cordial either.

11. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

EXACTLY.

A lot of these media jokers aren't about news and information. They're out to instigate. In fact, I'm surprised some of these reporters don't get frozen out completely by players or organizations for the foolish questions they ask (Remember JVG pulling Steve & Yao away from a post-game interview with Jim Gray).

I like how Lebron handled his press conference after losing game 7 against Detroit. Someone asked a stupid question about him running out of gas and he just flat out ignored the reporter.

Win or Lose, I'd be the biggest jerk of an interview. If they ask a yes or no question . . . I'm answering "yes" or "no". If they ask a question with an obvious answer, I'm gonna be as smart-a$$ as possible.

These fools get paid thousands of dollars to ask questions for a living, and some of them can't come up with ones without obvious answers.

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

What we saw in the video was simply "Don't stutter" and whatever came after that. Why must words be distorted for everything, when there's not even any reason to? :confused: :rolleyes:

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

And the fools they're interviewing get paid millions of dollars to answer questions for a living (yes, among other things). For the money they're making for their JOB, which includes dealing with the media, BTW, I give them no sympathy whatsoever. Answer the freaking question, and do it with respect.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

According to Charlie Palillo, former Houston Rockets beat writer Eddie Sefko was the reporter.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yes it was Sefko.

No it wasn't a classy response.

Yes I'm happy the Mavs can't take the heat... pun intended. :D

16. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Eddie Sefko is the beat writer, so this is someone Avery has to deal with ten times a day from October to June, and not some in-for-the-Finals overseas or radio reporter. This is someone you've dealt with cordially all year (save for one time, apparently, during the regular season), and there's no reason to go off on him like that. Sefko's questions were well within bounds.

Avery essentially demanding that Sefko answer his question (ignoring Eddie's question), asking a beat writer to air an opinion that will be recorded by a billion hacks and sent out on the NBA TV and ESPN News airwaves. Beat reporters aren't supposed to do that. Avery knows this. He just wanted to be a dick.

I think Avery has been brilliant, at times, this year. But this was not a good weekend for him:

Read his b****fest on Saturday

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think he melted down in the postgame session. He obviously wasn't going to criticize the call and decided to jab Sefko a little. It wasn't a big deal to me. Ideally he would have just declined the question and moved on quickly.

18. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

When the questions are ridiculous, I agree, however, the reporter was posing a very simple, necessary question in asking what the losing coach thinks of the game deciding foul called with 1.3 seconds left.

The reporter was obviously setting him up to get a sound byte on how terrible Avery thinks the call was, and Avery chose to take that as an opportunity to act like ass and continue to complain/defend his complaints from criticism like he did pre-game with his whole ' Y'all are shocked about what I said about Stack. What do you want me to do? Throw a parade?' routine (what Avery said about the Stack suspension was way too over-the-top btw... "sickening"? i mean, give me a break).

Avery essentially demanded that the reporter say the call was B.S., so Avery wouldn't have to explicitly do so himself (and take more flack for his over-whining), and then he got mad when the reporter refused to play along and be his puppet and AJ chose to ridicule him in return. His ridicule didn't stop with the reporter, or the official's foul call, but continued into how an official with 20-30 years of experience is clearly to blame for calling a timeout when a coach shows the timeout signal to his player and the player relays that to the official, indicating that he wants a timeout. :rolleyes:

The timeout was clearly AJ's fault. He could have simply said it was due to a misunderstanding in communication and left it at that (without swallowing the entire blame explicitly), but he felt the need to deride yet another person and not only shift the responsibility away from himself, but also (amazingly) from his team as well. (I suppose Avery f-ing up by giving the signal, Josh Howard f-ing up with the signal, JHo bricking two free throws down the stretch, and Dirk missing one as well had nothing - opposed to everything - to do with this loss). I also don't like how Avery only says "Give the other team some credit" as an excuse against criticism of why his team played poorly, and not just to simply give credit to the other team (and by his comments, I'm sure D-Wade agrees with me) but that's another story.

I definitely like Avery as a player, a coach, and a motivator as well, but I certainly don't dig the excuses he's made/the whining he's done/the whining he's done in defense of his original whining, as well as how poor of a sport he is in losses. Classy coaches and players speak of how great the other team played, how poorly their own team executed, how the mistakes they made cost them the ballgame, and other cliches of how energy, effort, determination, and a little bit of luck determine ballgames. Avery's attitude when times are tough is the only really annoying flaw in an otherwise excellent coach; hopefully these are just growing pains in his early coaching career.

#18 Varunan, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He moved beyond the "jab" ideal, though, when he pulled the "don't stutter" crap. That's just taking out your frustrations on another human, one that is just trying to do his job.

20. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member