1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another reason to hate soccer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by gwayneco, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Wise one on top

Do you know the three most recongizable athletes in the world?

None are soccer players, one is a basketball player.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im sure they aren't soccer players. Becuase in way you take out all of the US's votes becuase they don't know much about soccer.

On average i think soccer stars do have a bigger following. You can't always go by numbers

3. Wise one on top

Yes, I also mentioned that the world, in general likes soccer more.

But I was debating why atheletes prefer other sports.

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

If you look at overall revenue of the major sports leagues around the world, you'll find that the NFL makes the most money in the world. The Premier League is the most valuable soccer league in the world and it's still behind the NFL in total revenue. But if you were to compare the total revenue of ALL soccer leagues in Europe and around the world than soccer is a powerhouse. Obviously, there are more soccer leagues around the world than there are american football leagues so the numbers are skewed

My question is: Is there a salary cap in European soccer?

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

His point is that he is jealous of her.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Jordan, Woods, and ?

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yao, duh

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

muhammad ali?

you would think that maybe Pele would be one of them, no?

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

David Beckham

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

As far as active athletes, I think Beckham is probably at or very close to #1. This time last year I was in China; Beckham's arrival in Shanghai was a much bigger story than Yao's return, which happened around the same day; meanwhile I don't think Tiger Woods gets much play there

11. ameet14

ameet14 Member

Is there an actual poll to determine the most recognizable athlete in the world? Tiger might be number one in the US, but I feel like Beckham or Pele would be much more recognizable to the entire world's population since soccer is a much more popular sport in other nations.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

So we should hate the sport of soccer why?

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am enjoying the World Cup this year.

The only time I ever dis real football/soccer is when soccerphiles insist that "the beautiful game" is just inherently better than football, basketball, baseball. Red Sox vs Yankees and Chiefs vs Raiders is just as intense as Man United vs Liverpool..and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Its just a matter of taste.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That a ****ty move by FIFA, but I'm glad to hear that the FOX owner/commisioner(?) got it done.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Is this poll taken in the US? or also in other countries, because if it was taken in other countries i'm sure one is a soccer player.

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Soccer is one of my least favorite sports, but I always see the world cup (almost all the games) I dont watch the country leagues.

I respect the sport, if you are a diehard fan its ok.

Hakeem Olajuwon (the greatest player on rockets history, and IMO the best NBA player) before playing basketball, he played soccer.

Steve Nash ( A very good basketball player) plays soccer very well.

Some of the goal keepers with a little time on the gym, they would be nice bball players.

The only thing I have to say against soccer, is that you dont run all the 45 min, and in basketball you do run almost all the time, thats why in basketball they allow more substitution.

In the NBA, NFL, MLB they pay more to their players than soccer

Soccer is most popular sport in the world, maybe basketball is second but is far away from soccer.

17. Heath

Heath Member

Uh, they have a product - they sell it. You want it - pay for it. Last time I checked FIFA was not and the world cup was not an american league/organisation.

If they give it out free to some, why would others be in a different position?

But this was already mentioned in the thread.

18. Heath

Heath Member

Unfortunatly the FIFA rankings are crap and have been from the day they were introduced - even FIFA acknowledges this by not using the FIFA rankings to seed teams in the WC.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that they are looking to fix the FIFA rankings so you dont get too many points just for playing/playing poor quality teams.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

But when the soccer players run, they may have to run the whole field in full speed and the length of it is like...10 basketball courts or more?

Just like in American football, you can't expect the players to run on a football field in full speed nonstop for the whole game. Even Rod Woodson in his prime would collapse after 5 minutes.

#119 RocketForever, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  20. rocketsinsider

Soccer players run perhaps 8 or 10 time more then football and basketball players, if u put in the fact that most players stand around the court and they have wayyyyy more time to sit down on the bench(4 breaks, and a whole lot more commercial breaks). soccer on the other hand have only one break and ZERO commercial breaks and time outs.

about the pay part, big named soccer players gets paid alot by their clubs and the recieve way more indorsements around the world then any NFL, MLB, and NBA player (mabey except for Yao).