1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Charlton Jimerson

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, May 9, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

Great story on the Astros AAA farmhand. He's an easy guy to root for; amazing talent & the potential's there to be a Mike Cameron/Torii Hunter type player. He's already in their class in center field.

ROUND ROCK — Charlton Jimerson doesn't mind discussing his turbulent childhood.

The Round Rock Express' leadoff hitter will tell you his mother had chronic personal issues.

He won't sugarcoat his relationship, or lack of one, with his father, who was never a factor in his life.

Mostly, though, he'll tell you about the big sister who — though only five years older — became his protector when he was a teen, steering him to college and now a promising career as a professional baseball player.

"The focus is not on my mom or my dad; it is on my sister," Jimerson said. "My family is full of problems. What was special about (his childhood) was the fact that my sister was the one who allowed me to be where I'm at. . . . It wasn't what was wrong; it's what was good."

Lanette, now 31, fulfilled the big sister role to a T during Charlton's adolescent days in Hayward, Calif.

"Because we didn't have the necessary parental direction that we should have had," Lanette says, she took it upon herself — with some help from older brother Derell — to raise Charlton and his younger brother, Terrance. To do so, she took on two jobs while also going to school at Cal State University-Hayward.

"She helped me in school, which led to my baseball," Charlton Jimerson said. "You know how you always hear about people who didn't take the SATs or they were so good but this, but that? She eliminated the buts."

Lanette fought for custody of Charlton and Terrance when she was 18 and a freshman in college. Because Lanette was too young to gain custody at the time, a social worker told her that Derell, who was 21, could legally take Charlton. Derell obliged, and Charlton lived with him for a year until Lanette gained custody of Terrance after an eight-month court battle, during which Terrance lived in a foster home.

"I didn't know where my mom was at that time," Lanette said.

Her endless pursuit for the betterment of the family paid off when she, Charlton and Terrance finally moved in together.

"She allowed my goals and standards and dreams to be set much higher and to be attainable because she was laying down the blueprint," Jimerson said.

The three lived together until Charlton and Terrance left for college.

Lanette became a seventh-grade teacher and is now waiting to attend graduate school at the University of California at Berkeley. Terrance is a sophomore at Syracuse University, where he tried out but didn't make the basketball team. Derell is working in warehouse management in Hayward, Calif. Another brother, 33-year-old Eugene, "is still trying to find himself," Lanette said.

As for Charlton, he bats in the leadoff spot for the Express and is tied for the Pacific Coast League with four triples. He has hit three of the longest home runs seen at Dell Diamond, all estimated at more than 500 feet.

After spending most of last season with Double-A Corpus Christi, Jimerson made his major-league debut with the Astros on Sept. 14, 2005. In his brief stay in Houston, Jimerson appeared in only one game as a defensive replacement in center field and didn't bat.

"CJ is very high on our list of players in our organization," Astros General Manager Tim Purpura said. "We feel like he has the potential to be a five-tool player."

The Astros drafted Jimerson out of high school in the 24th round — but "only because I was friends with an Astros scout who owned batting cages in my hometown," Jimerson said. "It's not like someone came to scout me."

He passed on pro ball at the time to pursue a computer science degree at the University of Miami, where he arrived on an academic scholarship with hopes of also playing college baseball. Trouble was, Hurricanes coach Jim Morris didn't know much about him.

"I didn't have a clue of who he was," recalled Morris. "He came in one day and wanted to know the procedure to try out. Toward the end, he said, 'Oh, by the way, I was drafted in the 24th round,' and I told him, 'Why didn't you tell me that earlier?' "

Jimerson made the team as a walk-on.

After three seasons spent mostly on the bench, Jimerson found a spot in the Miami outfield, along with current Express teammate Mike Rodriguez.

Jimerson flourished at the 2001 College World Series, batting .333 with two home runs and seven stolen bases as Miami won the title and Jimerson was named the most outstanding player.

Before that College World Series ended, the Astros drafted Jimerson again, this time in the fifth round.

He played in 115 games for Corpus Christi last season, hitting .259 with 16 home runs, 44 runs batted in and 27 stolen bases.

This season with the Express, Jimerson has been thrust into the leadoff role for the first time since his senior season at Miami. While he likes the fact that leading off keeps him on his toes, he doesn't necessarily consider himself a conventional leadoff hitter.

"If you are looking for a guy who is trying to draw walks and hit the ball on the ground, (that's not me)," Jimerson said. "I know the Astros have their leadoff hitter set. I don't worry about being the leadoff hitter for the Astros. (But) who knows? We will have some fun with it and see what happens."

Round Rock manager Jackie Moore wants to see Jimerson put the ball in play more frequently. Jimerson is second in the Pacific Coast League with 47 strikeouts and has topped 150 strikeouts in each of his past two minor-league seasons.

"I know that the organization feels, and he does also, that it's all about contact," Moore said. "Once he starts making better contact, everything else will fall in place."

With the other obstacles he has overcome, Jimerson expects that part of his game to improve with time. "My sister and my family kept reminding me that even if I didn't make it to the major leagues, you have done good for yourself," he said. "But I am here. I might as well try to make it."

2. Buck Turgidson

3. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Good article. I'm ready to see this guy on the major league level. This team needs a little bit of a spark right now.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He gots all the tools in the world and is a 5 tool player. He will always strikeout a lot like Preston but could do a lot of things well. I think he could be a solid 4th outfielder or maybe even starter if he continues to improve like he did this year.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jimerson has 49 K's in 129 at-bats. That's enough even to impress Preston Wilson.

6. Buck Turgidson

Easy now.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ease his pain.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If his defense is solid, I'd actually perfer him in center over Taveras. He'll give you similar OBP and speed with alot more power.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey, small world!!

I have season tickets to the express, and the other day as he was running off the field he flipped a ball into the stands to a group of kids....it bounced off my 3 year old's noggin....

Jimerson, singed a ball during the game and handed it over, it was sweet.

Then, about 1 inning later, my 3 year old got squished between the chairs....by a bunch of kids trying to get a ball, the manager saw and gave us another one...which I gave to my 7 year old boy.

That makes 8 balls in about 10 games so far this year.

:)

We are on the first row right next to the dugout on the 3rd base side, we have the first 8 seats.

A lot of the time they go unused, and kids just move right down. I was only using 4 of the 8 on Sunday....actually 3...and kids came piling down....

I didn't want to kick them out, but it was scaring the crap out of my little one.

Jimerson, is a good talent, and once he makes consistent contact will replace Wilson and Lane...IMHO.

DD

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to crack on him, as stated he's a wonderful story and everybody wants to root for him.

That having been said, the optimism that you show is how scouts were speaking about him 3 or so years ago. From everything I've read the general concensus now is that the window is closing fast and he's probably never going to learn to make consistent contact given all the work he's put into it the last few years with no results.

A couple of years ago people were calling him the second comming of Eric Davis. At this point he doesn't even make honorable mention in Baseball America's top ten Astro prospects list.

I haven't seen anybody write him off, but he's definately the darkhorse at this point.

#10 Ottomaton, May 9, 2006
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

God, that was funny. Nice one! :D

12. msn

msn Member

Holy crap!!! Now that's some talent! Patrol LF and RF, hit in the 5 and 6 spots in the order, and run the bases for both at the same time!!

Lord have mercy, we've got Clark Freaking Kent playing CF in AAA.

:p

13. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

I think we are well stocked in the OF.

I like the looks of Josh Anderson and also Hunter Pence.

Anderson for his speed and Pence for his power.

Could very easily have an OF of all three at some point soon.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FYI...Here's Jimerson's stats to this point in the season:

31 games
    .319 avg
    43 hits
    24 runs
    11 2B
    4 3B
    6 HR
    13 rbi
    5 BB
    50 K
    8 SB
    .593 SLG
    .343 OBP
    .936 OPS (from the leadoff spot)

They are working on him making more contact and being more selective at the plate. I would imagine he'll see some time with the big club at some point before Sept. callups. The first injury callup should one of Lane, Wilson, or Taveras go down will probably be between Luke Scott and Jimerson. Right now, it should be Jimerson.

15. msn

msn Member

That OPS would be awesome if dude took more walks (which would cut down K numbers). Take out 25 of those K's, make 10 of them groundouts and 15 of them walks, and dude's OPS might be over 1.000.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

CJ has the talent to be a lot better than Willy T IMO. I remeber seeing him in the College World Series a few ago and he was the MVP of the tournment. Luke Scott is also having a good year so far. I think he could hit 20 homers in the big leagues. I think he will be trade bait. Josh Anderson is in AA for the second time. He is like Willy T, no power or extra base hits but lots of speed. The guy to watch out for in Corpus is Ben Zobrist. He is a shortstop who is MoneyBall player. He gots a OPS over .900 and has only 1 homer. He is a walking machine, 25 walks and only 17 K's which is great. He is old for AA but Astros are known to bring their guys very slowly.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol this guy will never make it. 10 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio!! lol. maybe we can get jose hernandez to mentor him along with preston. he could become the strikeout king.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nevermind the .936 OPS, the power, the speed, the good defense, the good arm and the fact that he has improved every year. You're right. Give up now

:rolleyes:

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

With Adam in the fold and relatively young - Zobrist might as well forget about it.

The guy I want to see ready to joing the Astros next year is Pence. I would really like to get more production from our outfield especially those on the corners. Lane has crazy power and her walks has really improved but something is missing - for him to be batting around 0.200 is not acceptable. Wilson, FWIW, will be gone next season. Lets see how the trade deadline shapes up this July.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is simple, then: he hits like a girl.

When I saw Jimerson play, he reminded me a lot of Gary Matthews, Jr. minus the switch hitting. He does a lot of things really well (speed, power, defense), but his flaws (making contact, taking pitches) just stick out like sore thumbs.

Note: Jimerson went 0-5 with 3 Ks tonight. On the plus side, one of those strikeouts was on a wild pitch and he was able to reach first, and promptly stole 2nd. On the downside, he was then picked off 2nd.

Also, Trever Miller threw a rehab, going 1 perfect inning while striking out two.