1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank You Kubiak!!!Super Mario Love Thead!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheDynastyInMs, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

"Mario Williams eats Mannings and craps Leftwiches!!!!" courtesy of Stan D. Man at HPF.

:D

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

You mean the Warrick Dunn who just ran for 1416 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry? In his 9th year in the league? The same Warrick Dunn who has 8300 career rushing yards (almost 1000 yards a year)? The same Dunn who's almost 30 pounds lighter and doesn't have the speed of Bush? Huh. Sounds more like a compliment to me.

Yeah, I can see why we passed on Bush in favor of a guy who's best games came against inferior competition. He wasn't even the best defensive player on his TEAM, as voted on by his teammates.

Williams is a consolation pick because McNair was obsessed with getting a contract done before the draft. Bush wasn't in a hurry to get a deal done so the Texans panicked and overpaid (both in draft position and $$$) for MW.

I hope that Williams turn into the next Bruce Smith/Reggie White/Julius Peppers. I just don't see him living up to it.

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I am not going to get mad at Texans for selecting Mario. We all knew that the top 7 rated players in this draft can be equally productive. So selecting Bush or Mario wouldnt have matter.

What people need to know is that our offense has gotten better than last year. We have a very good TE in Putzier, then we added a great reciever next to AJ. We have Davis at RB. Jerome Mathis can play reciever. We don't need a superstar weapon in this offense anymore. What we need to do is fix the O line. We did do that by signing Flanagan, and hoping that we can pick Eric Winston.

So i can see why Texans went with a defensive player. Clearly they want to balance this team. People need to realize that a good DE player is very hard to find. I am only saying good, not great because great DE are very rare. My point is that even if Mario is not going to be great DE, he will be a good DE in the league.

I am really happy to see that our defense is getting better. We signed good players in Free agency and i really think we will be focusing more on defense through out this draft then offense.

4. TheDynastyInMs

I have a couple questions for the ones who are so ticked off that we selected super mario:

1)If you were going to build a team, and you had a young b.sanders or a young bruce smith, who would you take?

1)If you were going to build a team, and you had a young b.sanders or a young bruce smith, who would you take?And by the way, you already have a top 8 rb, and really need a de?

I don't care if bush becomes the next b. sanders, everything I've heard about m.williams has been that he is the only can't miss prospect in this draft.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Dominick Davis is not a top 8 running back. He's good but not top 8.

6. TheDynastyInMs

last year he only played in 11 games because of injury and had 974 yards. Over 16 games that would be 1400 yards. Pretty good if you ask me. Now we have Kubiak, who can turn any rb into gold.

7. stevel

stevel Member

Bro, go watch game films from this years playoffs and find out what happens to franchise QBs when they are under an intense pass rush.

You want to win FB games, then you better be able to control the LOS.

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

not real sure how that has anything to do with who we picked, though. had we picked d'brickashaw, i'd get your point.

by the way..ferguson was always, in my mind, the option out of the big names in this draft. i'm not upset about this pick...MOSTLY BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE I'VE SEEN MARIO PLAY EVEN ONE DOWN OF FOOTBALL.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

I'll take the pick. Our pass rush was horrendous last year. DD is good. We also have Vernand Morency. And Adrian Peterson comes out next year.

10. twoface723

twoface723 Member

The Texans will find an excuse not to take Peterson next year, I guarantee it. And, as usual, some will think the Texans made yet another GREAT choice :rolleyes: .

11. Two Sandwiches

If Domanick Davis rushes for 1,000 yards again next year, we won't NEED Adrian Peterson. Sure, these guy's names look attractive, but you can't win a Super Bowl just by having 3 potential pro bowl running backs on your team. :rolleyes:

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Peterson is a Sooner. There will be a lot of people who don't want him.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

14. Cohen

Cohen Member

Yah, Eddie G has some good physical attributes too, so what?

Mario had all of these physical attributes in College...right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2426087

15. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

Great pick IMHO. I never bought into the hype from the media. We have needs all over the field and pass rushing is certainly one of them. Especially moving to the 4 < 3 style. This guy is 6'-7" tall, 290+ lbs, can run a 4.6 40 now thats a specimen. Who was the big white dude (Hendrix?) back in the 60s or 70s that was his size and basically put the fear of god into opposing offensive tackles (I think he played for the Raiders).

16. twoface723

twoface723 Member

This may be our worst draft in our short history. No excitement. No Bush.

17. Agent27

Agent27 Member

Dude, are you 12 or something? We get it. You don't like the pick and now you don't like the Texans. Who cares? This whole broken record thing is really getting annoying.

18. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Member

From what I understand, the scehemes versus the first half of the year focused on less pass rush, and more emphasis on run protection which meant staying in your designated area. The second half of the year the schemes changed to more pass rush which is when NCSU also made a run at the end of the year and Mario began to get his sack numbers.

Mario is incrediblity strong and LIVED in the gym at NCSU. He arrived at state a top 50 prospect and started from day one. He isn't 297 of partial flab, this dude is ripped muscle. Smart guy, majoring in mechanical engineering and is apparently only a few credits shy of graduating. No baggage with this guy. Most importantly the guy is dedicated to improving himself every year.

I will be highly surprised if Mario is not in the probowl his second season.

19. Cohen

Cohen Member

For THE #1 Pick in a loaded draft, he'd better be a whole hell of a lot better than just that.

And thanks for the info on NCSU.

20. Two Sandwiches

Why?

And when I say why, I want an explanation, and not just an answer of "because."

If you're gonna sit here and openly criticize a team, be ready to bring an educated opinion. Otherwise, find a new team to root for, and stop criticizing ours.