1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myths of the Mario/Bush saga

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Apr 29, 2006.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There are so many myths going around in the various threads that I think we should organize a single thread to discuss. So, let's begin.

Myth #1: The Texans could've traded down later in the top 10 and gotten Williams along with more picks. That's false. Mario Williams was effectively a lock to go second overall. You might could trade down from 1 to 2 and still get him, but even that has several problems. First of all, we still don't know for sure that New Orleans preferred Bush to Williams, and if they did, did they prefer him by a large enough margin to give up a sizable amount to move up just one pick? I'm thinking, like most teams, that they had both players rated very highly and they would not have given all that much to move one pick.

Myth #2: This team guaranteed the top draft pick in the 2007 draft. That's absurd. Aside from the fact that the Texans weren't as bad as the record showed last year and the numerous offseason free agency acquisitions, it's one player. One player out of 22 starters, and more than 50 on the roster, and that's going to be the difference in a mediocre season and another 2-14 season? Are you nuts? Reggie Bush wasn't going to make that much difference as a rookie, especially behind this offensive line. And defensive end is a high impact position for rookies. If anything, our prospects for next year are better.

Myth #3: How can you pass up the best prospect in a decade? I know this is a simplistic response, but 4th and 2. Bush is an outstanding player... but if he's already among the greatest to ever play the sport... I'm thinking he's out there for that play. I don't want to criticize Bush - he's going to be a terrific player I think - but let's not get carried away. Yes, some scouts said he was one of the best prospects ever. That's great. Other scouts said Williams was a better prospect than Bush. How can you guys selectively focus on a few scouts and completely ignore others?

Myth #4: Mario Williams is Sam Bowie. He didn't dominate in college, therefore he sucks. The college game and pro games are entirely different entities. Tom Brady was a generally mediocre college player, and look at his transition to the next level. It's not as simple as picking the best college player. As for Williams specifically, he's a defensive player. It's easier to limit his statistics than it is for a running back. But since so many of you are inexplicably "down" on Williams based on college performance, let's compare his final college season to the final college season of Julius Peppers, the player to whom so many of us compare him.

Sacks: Williams 14.5, Peppers 9.5
    Tackles: Peppers 63, Williams 62
    Tackles for loss: Williams 24, Peppers 19
    Fumbles forced/recovered: Williams 2, Peppers 1

I'm not saying it's a lock that Williams will be Julius Peppers. However, those of you who for some bizarre reason feel that he won't be based on his college performance need to look at the numbers. They're almost identical.

Myth #5: OMG Courtney Brown! OMG Ki-jana Carter! Busts happen at every position. There's no correlation. Next.

Myth #6: Even if it's a decent football decision, it's a horrible business decision and the Texans are hurting themselves. Do you guys realize that this team has sold out every game in it's four year history? Do you guys realize how football crazy this area is? Bob McNair doesn't care if there are empty seats, as long as those seats are sold. They are, they have been and they will continue to be. There's a reason the Texans are the third highest revenue franchise in the league. They'll survive.

Also, this bad PR... it'll last for 4-5 months. Then the Texans take the field. If Mario Williams is a good player and we win games, the city will rally around this team. Trying to appease fans wishes before the draft is an absurd way to build fans or raise business. The only way to do either one of those things is to select who they think is the best football player. If they do that, the Texans will win, and whether the Texans are a winning team is by far the biggest determinant in their sales.

There are plenty more of these, but these are the first few that came to mind after going through the various threads this morning. If you guys have your own, add them, and I'm sure I'll be adding a few more later as the day progresses. Here's to hopefully a good first day guys.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one is selectively focusing on a "few" scouts. Most scouts have Bush as the best prospect. I don't think this is a horrible pick, overall I think your myth busting correct. But Mario has more questions as a prospect than Bush. He's a bigger risk. Scouting reports say he didn't put out a full effort for the whole year and then he is still somewhat raw.

#2 Mr. Clutch, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Bush is the highest rated player in this draft. He is clearly the most explosive and the most dominant. If you had to choose between Gale Sayers and Mario Williams, you go with Gale. Bush fills seats, and make people want to watch the Texans. I guarentee you that the team that takes bush will get at least one Sunday Night Football Game, probably more if he develops during the season. Texans will settle for being at the bottom of the list on CBS.

4. The Cat

Absolutely many people are selectively focusing on a "few" scouts. You're right, most have Bush as the best prospect. However, there are a few - yes, just a few - that have floated the talk that Bush is the greatest prospect to come into the NFL in a decade. And many Bush fans on this BBS have effectively taken that as gospel and assumed it to be true the last few weeks. If you doubt that, let me know and I'll get some quotes.

Bush is a very good player, but he's not the LeBron James of his sport in terms of prospects. Let's not get carried away.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

And most local fans thought those scouts were wrong prior to yesterday. Prior to the announcement they were going in another direction, Bush was not worthy of the 1st pick (too small, not an every down back, etc, etc). Now, everyone is up in arms because we are passing on a great, "can't miss" player". The hypocrisy (spelling?) is priceless.

This is not directed at you, Mr. Clutch, just using your quote to make a statement.

6. The Cat

Wait. So we can assume Reggie Bush is Gale Sayers, one of the greatest backs of all-time, before he's even played a down in the NFL, but we can't even assume that Mario Williams is Julius Peppers?

Read Myth No. 6. Can you please tell me when the Texans have had a problem selling seats? Also, you're talking about short-term television coverage. That's what naive teams and organizations focus on. The best way for the Texans to be on national television... is for them to win football games. Period. Bush might mean a few more immediate appearances (although not this year, the schedule is already set), but the Texans need to be concerned with selecting the best player to win football games. If they think Williams is a better fit for that, they will get their television appearances, and you can bet people will be in the seats.

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

bravo on the post Cat

8. Mr. Clutch

Has any scout compared Mario to Julius? If so, great. But I haven't heard much about Mario being such a sure- fire stud.

9. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Stop searching for reasons why the Texans were right. They were wrong, mostly everyone knows it. People are just lookiing for a glimps of hope.

10. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

They blew it. I look forward to being able to get seats on the 50 yard line for 20 bucks in the parking lot starting in about 7 months.

11. Mr. Clutch

Maybe they are really trading Mario and moving down!!!!!!!

12. The Cat

Yes to both. People here have been so caught up in the Vince vs. Reggie debate that they haven't stopped to look at alternatives.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then you haven't been watching. Chris Mortensen quoted Ron Wolf as saying the 6 teams he spoke to all had Williams as their #1 player. Many have related Williams to Peppers. More than once I've heard that there are 2 potential Hall of Fame players in this draft...Reggie Bush and Mario Williams.

There are no absolutes when it comes to the draft. For every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf. For every Steve Emtman, there is a Bruce Smith.

14. The Cat

Got it, they're wrong because people think they're wrong. Everything in the world happens just as fans project and they shouldn't even play the games. Whoever the fans think is the best selection will automatically turn into that.

Outstanding reasoning.

15. Mr. Clutch

MYTH- Mario Williams is as sure a prospect as Reggie Bush.
    TRUTH- Mario has plenty of questions as a top draft pick. Here is a scouting report on his negatives- "Can be too inconsistent and needs to be properly motivated...Has a questionable motor and doesn't always give his all on every play...Really needs to work on his technique and master the nuances of the position...Often relied too heavily on his pure talent to get by in college...Is not very instinctive...Not a finished product."

Two negatives I have consistently found about Mario is that he is a guy who needs to be motivated and doesn't have natural instincts. I'm trying to be positive about this pick, but it sounds like we didn't take the best player with the top pick. But if he turns into Reggie White or Bruce Smith, I'll be happy.

16. The Cat

Can we discuss exactly how they blew it instead of making generalizations? Tell me what exactly, if there's a chance Williams can dominate a game like Julius Peppers, is so horrible about this selection? (And before any of you make a claim that Williams can't be Peppers based on his production last season, compare it to that of Peppers during his last college season. See first post.)

17. Mr. Clutch

Well, that's good to know. But there have been tons of reports saying Bush is the best prospect and only a few touting Mario as the best. Maybe the Mortensen report is correct, but earlier in the year he reported something along the lines that Cutler would be above Young. There's a lot of noise to filter out in these reports. I know Mario is a solid #2 pick, I just don't know if he is worth a #1.

18. Major

Major Member

There's a reason more than a handful of teams had Mario Williams rated as their #1 prospect on the board. He's certainly not sure-fire; like Reggie Bush, there are definitely questions. But he's universally being called the best DE prospect in the last several years, and one of the few that's good against both the run and the pass.

19. Major

Major Member

But there are plenty of questions about Bush too - his size, durability (never had to carry the load at USC), ability to break tackles, how his speed will translate in the faster NFL, etc.

20. Mr. Clutch

More than a handul? Reportedly, it's only 6. I agree he is a stud prospect, but there are a lot more questions about him than Bush. That scouting report I posted above is what I have found in several reports about Mario.