1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I am dissapointed in the pick for a variety of reasons. However, I will say this if two years from now Mario Williams is all that he is cracked up to be, I will gladly eat my words. As for not watching any more Texans games, that stuff is just stupid. You have to support your teams no matter how much you disagree with the moves they make. I am still eating crow on the Beltran deal.

2. today

today Contributing Member

You are correct, the opinion of a fan-base is not completely worthless. But when it comes to making football decisions, I agree with that former GM on ESPN: Factoring in the emotional opinion of your fan-base will cripple the effectiveness of your organization to put a winning team on the field.

Fans like to say that they care about specific moves, but ultimately, all fans just want to win. So making decisions to further the team's ability to win is key. If the Texans win, then the tickets, franchise value, and sales will go up, no doubt about it.

Over the long haul of 5-10 years, if any organization makes decisions they were "forced" to make due to fan-base opinion instead of going with their consensus organizational opinion, then that organization will be a losing one.

Now that I think about it, I do think that fan-base opinion comes into play every now and again. For example if you have an outspoken player bad mouthing the city, then cutting him or choosing not to re-sign him due to fans hating him might be the right move. But hopefully even in these situations the decision is the best one for the team.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2425142

1a. Who drafts Reggie? After Reggie Bush blew it by not taking a 10 percent increase over the Alex Smith contract of 2005, he now might have to rely on the Jets to bail him out. For him to salvage any credibility, he has to hope the Jets are willing to give up the No. 35 pick in the draft to move up to No. 2. That might not happen. The Jets might try to play coy and get Bush at No. 4, figuring the Saints and Titans won't take him. Still, Bush and the Jets are interesting partners. Bush could make big money in the New York market. Bush could buy the Jets protection from criticism they will face if they don't draft Matt Leinart. Of course, the Saints could make things simple by staying at No. 2 and taking Bush. But I'm not sure that makes sense with Deuce McAllister already in the fold. At No. 2, Bush loses at least $6.5 million in guaranteed money compared to what he could have received at No. 1.

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I still don't get what is so special about Mario Williams? Not as fast as Jevon Kearse or Dwight Freeney, not as athletic as Julius Peppers. Nobody is comparing him to Reggie White/Bruce Smith/Lawrence Taylor. Instead, he sounds like a clone of Daryl Gardener.

On the other hand, people were comparing Reggie Bush to all-time greats like Gayle Sayers/Marshall Faulk/Barry Sanders and Vince Young to John Elway/Steve Young.

5. today

today Contributing Member

I agree, people can be upset, but we need to realize that we don't know jack compared to them in regard to what is best for our team. Being emotionally disappointed is expected, but it pains me to hear SR 610 callers say that they aren't fans anymore or are going to become Cowboy fans. And all that over a decision which we haven't even seen the outcome of yet. If in 2 years Mario flops and Bush is a hit, then I think that complaints can be justified at that point by the people who want to issue them.

Like almost everyone, I was getting excited to see how Bush could help us win. I was shocked at the news tonight, but I just feel that I (and nearly all fans) don't have the proper knowledge to judge the righteousness of this decision. My approach is to show the organization grace (even if you think they don't deserve it) and support the pick after the emotional disappointment subsides.

Now I'm excited to see how Mario can help our defense improve so we can be a winning team. I sure hope that Mario doesn't get booed tomorrow :(

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

A day that will live in infamy

7. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

i remember when the eagles drafted mcnabb...over edgerrin james and ricky williams...and ppl were all boooing and talking bad about the pick...if the GMs and coaches listen to the public they would of been screwed..look how that org turned out with 4 trips to the conference finals and a superbowl....

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It sure does make the last few months around here look even funnier.

9. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

It only took 4 years for the Texans to replace the Clippers as the worst run team in professional sports.

I look forward to decades of #1 picks.

10. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If Mario Williams isn't Reggie White #2 then everyone in this city is going to lose ALL confidence in the Texans management. Not that we had much confidence BEFORE the draft.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Spoken like a true fan. :) You have to cheer on your team no matter what if you want to be a fan.

I'm surprised that he is going to be our number 1, but i'll take it.

Go Texans.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As far as workout numbers, he beats out Peppers in every category except 40 yard dash...in which their numbers are almost identical, yet, Williams is an inch taller and weighs about 15-20 lbs more.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

last I checked the clippers were doing fairly well in the playoffs and have a shot @ western conference finals with their fairly soft playoff schedule.
    try again.

14. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Man, way too much negativity right now! They say it was McNair & Kubes decision to pick Super Mario! Plus this team needs to fix this really aweful defense rank near the bottom or in the bottom in every D catagories! This is not a sexy pick but most championship are won by D. Also MW is only 21 yrs old & hasn't reach his full potential! This DUDE is 6' 7" 290, runs a 4.7/40, jumps 40 1/2 inches off the ground, long wing-span, bench press 225 35 times, nice lateral mvmts, changes directions well, can play all position in the DLine, plays run & pass well ( can keep him in every downs), big hands, & seems like a great kid. Please give this kid a chance & don't BOO him like some you would want to do. :rolleyes: I'm sure you guys like the feeling of being BOOed!

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There were three options for the Texans

1. Take Bush
    2. Take VY
    3. Trade Down.

They botched this draft bigtime. My tickets are going up on Stubhub ASAP.

16. omar23

omar23 Member

How can people accuse others of not being true Texans fans? Sticking with the team through good and bad? All the Texans have been is BAD! Anyone who still supports this team is a fan. Texans fans have put up with alot of crap over the years, and with this move I'm sure many people will think enough is enough. The one glimmer of hope that this organization had was the #1 pick, and now they do this? Fans will stick by a losing team, if they have hopes of improvement in the future- but how can anyone have ANY faith in the future of the Texans, given prior history , and now this atrocity.

17. MONON

MONON Member

I have to admit that I was stunned when I 1st heard the news. However, now that I've had all night(what work?!? :D ) to think about it, I think it's alright.

1. several teams had Mario as the best player.
    2. if Reggie was truely the best player, why wasn't a couple of teams beatting down the door to trade picks for him.
    3. we have a serviceable RB in Davis.
    4. Kubiak's system doesn't need a hotshot RB.
    5. we filled a dire need.

Yes, I'm still a Texins fan & can't wait for the season to start!!!

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

we couldnt draft down for him?

Long as Vince doesnt go to the Jets.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Good pick. It was a need. I hope this fills it.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Texans essentially traded down for nothing.

It seems like the Saints are in the spot to be in now. The Texans could have actually not made a selection and it would have been forfeited to the Saints which would have given us the 2nd pick in the draft. If the 2nd pick in the draft has more value then the 1st why didn't we do this?