1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Breaks Foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? You must not know much about my history. I have been a die hard fan since they moved to Houston.

I do however, criticize players when they don't play up to their capabilities.

Yao can sometimes get lost, Tracy loses focus, but I love them both, and want the team to get healthy and give the league a big ole knuckle sandwhich all of next season.

DD

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just a thought. The lottery was set up to discourage tanking (being the worst team does not guarantee getting the top pick). Apparently, tanking is still very much alive. Why not use the lottery concept one step further? Only the top 4 teams of each conference are guaranteed playoffs spots. The other spots are determined by a lottery. The more games you win, the more balls you get in the lotto machine. That would motivate teams to win as many games as possible and keep fans of bad teams interested, because no matter how bad your records are, you still have a chance to make the playoffs.

3. rocketsinsider

yao's injury could be a blessing in disguise, now he dont have to play with the chinese national team and instead concerntrating on getting back healthy

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

lol, so you're saying that the New York Knicks would have a chance to make the playoffs?

please

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

We don't know Yao's rehab schedule yet. But I think we can be sure that if he can play for the CNT, he will.

6. terse

terse Member

What exactly is the "spirit of sports"? Everyone knows that the intensity takes a quantum leap during the playoffs; this is proof that the game can be played at that level. So is everyone violating the "spirit of sports" by not playing at maximum level for all 82 games of the regular season? They must all be lazy, non-competitive bums, right?

Of course not. You have to pick your fights. If it is important to fight, then fight as hard as you can. But sometimes, as every general knows, it is important to conserve your stength and win the war later.

We didn't get past the first round, and we could have against a weaker opponent -- and that is the bottom line.

A second-round series would have put millions of extra dollars into the team's coffers. This money could have been spent on a good player, but instead we had to cheap out: amnestying Weatherspoon and signing the gimpy Derek Anderson. This entire season might not have been a writeoff if we had a legit 3rd scorer to tide us over our injury crises. We are not in the playoffs this year because JVG refused -- or was unable -- to think ahead last season.

7. terse

terse Member

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Besides the big toe problem which was chronic, he has had one other issue with that foot since he was drafted, I believe surgery to remove bone spurs. There have been at least five injuries to the same foot overall. That is reason for concern.

9. terse

terse Member

A good point. For most of the hopeless teams, you would be right. Their only remaining duty towards their fans is to entertain them for however many games are left. So they play their stars.

The Rockets, however, are in the unusual position of missing the playoffs this year but knowing for sure that they will be serious contenders next season -- if their stars are healthy. Therefore, the team's duty to the fans is to be as careful as possible about the health of Yao and T-Mac. We fans will understand.

10. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

I would think Yao will be fine to play by the start of next season. My friend broke his foot while snowboarding and he was back out there on his board again in about 1.5 months. It still was a little painful, but he was walking on it even with the cast...I think and hope Yao will be just fine.

11. terse

terse Member

*cough* KG and Ricky Davis? *cough* Both of them? At the same time? :rolleyes:

12. terse

terse Member

Every cloud has a silver lining. :D

13. terse

terse Member

Yao does not need more experience with this truncated team, half of whom will probably be gone next season.

You also don't weigh 300 lbs. Any weakness in the bones of the lower body is a serious matter for somebody of that size.

14. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Bone structure becomes stronger, after healing from a fracture.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

except had we sat Yao out, everything would be MUCH better. And I DID make that suggestion, TWICE. And you were one of those bashers, I remember.

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Do you need a hand? I can help you break every bone in your body.

17. terse

terse Member

:D :D

Seriously though, I've had shin fractures. Years later, some of them are still not fully healed. This is why I no longer jog.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

now we can see what lampe can do

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not with the same supporting cast. After watching the role players this year, not even a healthy TMac and Ming, at the top of their game, can take these guys anywhere. They are that far behind the rest of the contenders. Not even close.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHAT?

Dude you seriously need to take a massive chill pill.

I did not bash you and would have been in favor of resting Yao, however he was the only reason I was watching the rest of the season to see his progression.

Now, unless Hayes and Lampje get any playing time, it will be a waste of DVR space.

DD