1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alright, now I just got into the University of Hawaii School of Law (UH or Tulane??)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Varunan, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

A few weeks ago I started a thread (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=110262) in the Hangout about how I just found out I was admitted to Tulane Law School and I was wondering whether anyone had any firsthand post-Katrina insights on the state of New Orleans. I recently came back from my visit to the school and the city, and I had a blast. Although I can definitely see myself going to Tulane/New Orleans this fall, a wrench has been thrown into the works...

See... the first time I stepped foot on a tropical island, the experience really knocked my socks off. I wasn't expecting it, but to keep it short, once I stepped off the plane and exited the airport, the tropical climate just made me indescribably happy - and because of this, when thinking of places to live in the U.S. and to go to law school (given that legal hiring tends to be very regional in America) I gave considerable thought as to where I wish to permanently reside, establish my career, and one day raise a family.

For a variety of reasons (which I won't go into now), this led me to Hawaii... there was only one snag, however: the state only has one law school (a public law school at that, which was essentially founded with the sole purpose of providing legal education to residents of Hawaii so that they wouldn't have to endure the considerable burden and cost of having to relocate to the mainland to attend law school, only then to move back to the islands); because of this, the law school gives an incredibly strong preference to in-state residents.

Case in point: with over 1,000 annual applications, the entering class-size has been at around 90 students in recent years, with only 10% coming from the U.S. mainland in 2004 and 2005 (and with 90 students, 10% only equates to 9 seats for all of the mainland applicants)

Luckily enough, as I'm sure you've figured out a while ago, I was offered one of these seats for the fall and I feel like I'm on cloud nine! :D My girlfriend is absurdly psyched about the possibility of us living in Honolulu for at least 3 years, and possibly for the rest of our lives, and so am I. We're going to go check out Honolulu for around a week to see how we like it (after all this is the only way to tell for sure whether we'll want to live there - visiting New Orleans/Tulane for a few days gave me all I needed to know about what it would be like to go there).

One way or the other, regardless of which decision I make, I know it will be a good one (because Tulane seems like a great option and I would only pick Hawaii over Tulane if I felt like it would be an even better option). Since this has been on my mind non-stop for the last 48 hours though (and I have a couple of weeks until my flight), I thought I'd ask the board: what do you guys think I should do? Hawaii or Tulane? Tulane or Hawaii?

(Comments from those that have been to Hawaii are especially appreciated, but honestly, I'd be more than happy to hear what everyone that's willing to comment has to say...)

I'm going to get some shut eye right now, but I look forward to any responses that may await me first thing I get a chance to check online tomorrow.

Night y'all.

#1 Varunan, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

From everything you say: why are you even hesitating?

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Go to Tulane for law school, vacation in Hawaii.

If you go to law school in Hawaii, you'll be vacationing at Six Flags for the rest of your life, on the chance that you can afford to get off the island when you graduate.

I wonder what Fall OCI looks like at UHawaii. What's the biggest firm in Hawaii? Swordfish, Tuna and Shark?

4. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I have to endorse my Alma Mater, go to TULANE!!!

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If money is no object go to Hawaii. Hawaii is incredibly expensive as far as living. That is the only real drawback.

7. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

How competitive is it to get into Tulane Law School ? Is it like UH (Houston, not Hawaii :) ) ?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have no idea how useful an Hawaii law degree would be outside of Hawaii post graduation. Or in Hawaii for that matter.

All I can tell you is that I thought Hawaii was awesome when I visited. And I'm not a tropical island junkie - actually prefer mountains - but see, Hawaii has those, too. It's far enough out there, and maintains enough of its Polynesian culture that it does really feel different, on the other hand, it is Americanized enough that it doesn't feel totally different.

But again, those are just my thoughts as a vacationer.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You only live once and 5 years out of law school it won't matter one hoot where you got your education.

So by all means go to Hawaii........experience the life, and live a little.

You are only young once !

DD

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hawaii... and what DD said.
    Man, do you really need to think about it? :)

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What DD said. GO TO HAWAII!!!

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'd go to Tulane if you were more concerned about your career aspects coming straight out of school.

Going to Hawaii is going to present a pretty big obstacle, both mentally and geographically, between you and a future job in the states.

Just my two cents..

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hawaii. Man, the nugs they got down there... gorgeous

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it were me, the only reason I wouldn't go to Hawaii is leaving all friends and family behind on the mainland. Tulane might be better reputed (though I haven't even checked), but if the Hawaii law firms hire lawyers from UH, and you want to live there, than UH is the obvious choice.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Seems like both schools are well positioned for the future. Tulane grads will be dealing with Gulf Coast reconstruction issues for years and Hawaii grads will probably have lots of work with Pacific Rim economies and such, as well as unique Hawaiian issues. If you know what kind of law you want to end up doing, make your pick based on that. If you don't have a clue and just want to go learn until something strikes your fancy, go where you want to go.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This seems like good advise. Just going to the UH Law main webpage, they clearly emphasize different aspects of law:

"The William S. Richardson School of Law is located at the foot of beautiful Mānoa valley in Honolulu, Hawai'i. By providing excellence in legal education and scholarship, we aim to promote justice, ethical responsibility and public service. Our programs emphasize areas of particular importance to Hawai'i and the Pacific region, such as environmental law, native Hawaiian rights, ocean law, and Pacific and Asian Legal Studies."

It all sounds neat enough, if that's what you want to do, but I'd look at it as if you were making more than a decision to just attend Hawaii for law school, but to move to Hawaii for a fair amount of time. Which could be great.

It sounds, though, as if you truly are interested in making the move more permanent...and more power to that.

17. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

A few students joined my class from Tulane as refugee law students, they went back pretty quickly so it can't be that bad. I've met more than a few Tulane alum around NY, but I've never met anyone from UH (even though my parents are alum, not law school). From personal experience Tulane is better, but watch out! LA is the only state that doesn't use the Uniform Commercial Code!

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

do what you want to do.

if you want to live in hawaii you should do it. Who cares if Tulane is considered in the grand scheme, a better school? If it was a question of Harvard or Yale vs. Hawaii it woudl be a different question. But a Tulane law degree, especially if New Orleans continues to suffer, isn't going to get those 3 years you want to spend in Hawaii back. And with all due respect to Tulane, I don't know if it's going to open up so many more doors for you taht you'll be kicking yourself down the road.

if you want to live in hawaii - you should live in hawaii.

Very rarely do people regret doing what they want to do in life - more frequently people regret it when they do what they think other people want them to do.

19. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

Thanks for the comments everyone - giddyup, bejezuz, glad_ken, SamFisher, FranchiseBlade, Jackfruit, JayZ750, DaDakota, Deckard, Uprising, DonnyMost, Hippieloser, JuanValdez, rimrocker, nyquil82, and everyone else who responds after this post - you took the time to share your thoughts, and since this is a top 5 decision in my life at this point, I want to take the time to thank each of you guys for your insights.

I'm definitely leaning strongly towards Hawaii. I really feel I'd love to live there, although I also realize that it would be stupid for me to make that decision never having stepped foot on the islands. Once my trip is out of the way, however, so long as everything is as I expect it to be, I'd be fairly surprised if I pass this up.

The issue really only comes down to where I see myself in the longrun (if it weren't, what would the issue be then really - why wouldn't I go to Hawaii?). If I wanted to work on the mainland, sure, Tulane would serve me better, especially in the TX/LA area as well as the tri-state area, but also around Cali and Florida, and pretty much every other place on the mainland.

But, at the same time, U-Hawaii Law obviously will be exponentially better in Hawaii itself and the bottom line is: (a) I can practice any type of law I would otherwise practice in New York in Honolulu (whether corporate, criminal, non-profit, whatever) and (b) not only do people graduate from UH Law and go to places like New York immediately, but it actually happens every year and is done by more than just one student annually. The way I see it, there's absolutely no reason I couldn't do this as well if I one day chose that I wanted to go back to the mainland, and I even did a Martindale's search for UH Law grads practicing in NYC and I found a couple of recent grads at a biglaw firm of over 700 attorneys located in Rockerfeller Plaza.

So, really, I'm looking at the trip as more of a confirmation than an exploration (unless, of course, I am dissappointed - which I don't expect to be), but I'd still love to hear anymore thoughts - I still have two weeks to kill!

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Go where you are going to be happy. You sound very excited about Hawaii. If you don't like it, you can always transfer to the mainland (Tulane etc.) after your first year. However transferring to Hawaii may be difficult because like you said they don't accept many non-islanders. Reputation is something you are going to have to weigh and its a personal decision. Tulane will get your foot in the door to big firm interviews where the money (and pressure) is but if you're not interested in that then Hawaii won't limit you. I bet a lot of Hawaii grads practice in Cali.