1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"United 93"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Surfguy, Apr 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

pouhe I understand the historic aspect. It would be required viewing in my history class too. I just don't need the affirmation of fear that is relentlessly pounded into us.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or simply require that all cockpit doors be reinforced, ala El Al.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw the second plane hit on CNN in stunned disbelief, knowing instantly that it was deliberate, and watched the whole nightmare unfold. How could anyone possibly forget it? I think some producers will go to any lengths to get a film made. They'll tell you it's for altruistic motives, that the film "just had to be made." but they'll be busy calculating the potential profit when they are deciding whether or not to make it.

It's way too soon to be coming out with something like this, in my opinion. I won't be seeing it.

Keep D&D Civil.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, what if they had the keys to the cockpit, does it matter if they're reinforced or not? I thought I read that on one of the planes they might have killed the stewardess who they knew would have the key to the cockpit door. And wasn't El Al also already using air mashals?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my sister lost a friend on flight 93. she's telling me she can't wait to see this...i thought that was interesting. maybe to "experience" it in some way...or to memorialize it some way on film means something to her. i haven't talked to her about it deeply, but i thought it was interesting.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

thats what i do

7. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

I think this is one movie everyone knows the ending to. :rolleyes:

It's way too soon for this. I hope this movie flops.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If this movie catches on, and is still in theaters in the summer, is there a chance of anti-Arab backlash or violence? Lots of high-school and college-aged males with free time on their hands, I dunno, maybe I'm overreaching.

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Unless they show the plane getting shot down, this is a work of fiction.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, that's been happening anyways on and off, not sure the movie will impact things one way or the other. Racists will always be around and they don't really need a reason to act out their prejudices or hatred, it could be a documentary on the "History Channel" or watching a rerun of "True Lies" that sets them off, but you can't worry about that.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Give me a freakin' break. Your opinions just lost all credibility.

12. thadeus

What's lacking in credibility is the fact that anyone would suck up this claptrap propaganda so willingly, without paying any attention to the more rational, and infinitely more likely, explanation.

13. halfbreed

You're talking about accepting a conspiracy theory regarding shooting down a plane and a huge cover-up of epic proportions and lecture ME about propaganda and a rational explanation?

Wow.

14. thadeus

You keep swallowing what they're selling you, but it's not true. Flight 93 was shot down.

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This movie will be a bomb and quietly disappear.

Why would anyone want to go see a movie about a real life event that was covered by news and video with so much more impact, drama, and visual images that no movie could ever duplicate?

I mean, no movie will ever make 9/11 more dramatic then what's been already been recored and stored in the archives of history.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

17. halfbreed

You obviously have not seen the movie or any reviews for it. I was wary of seeing it, too. I'm glad I did and it definitely will not be a bomb.

18. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Yes, you’re right tigermission, but I also think this movie will inflame the ant-Arab sentiments even higher than it is now. People are still very angry and seething with rage from the events of September 11, and this movie will only rekindle the hatred that some people may have suppressed or forgotten during that time.

I remember here in NY after September 11, many Americans were verbally and physically abusing people of Arab/Sikh descent because of their ethnicity. I only hope such things don't happen again in abundance after this movie, which I'm hoping to see for myself sometime during the week.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I just saw it and wrote a review on the hangout thread

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=111884&page=2&pp=20

I thought it was a great movie and hit the right tone of not overdramatizing it or skewing it anyway. Understandably many of the events onboard the plane have been construed but from what I heard at the Moussaiou trial it seems very close.

Other than the gratuitous use of handheld camera I highly recommend it and think just from looking at it as a case study of group dynamics to deal with a crisis its valuable even if you don't want to be reminded of the historical nature of it. If any of you were worried this was going to Pearl Harbor or Fahrenheit 911 its not remotely close. This film is much more cinema verite where they allow the actions of the event speak for themselves.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, there have been more reported anti-Arab/Sikh/Hindu/Muslim incidents in recent years than in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, I think other world events contribute to that as well, not to mention the rhetoric of some religious leaders and radio/TV personalities and some Islamophobic academics.

So as I said, it could come from anywhere, I don't think this movie will have that much of an impact, although it might contribute to it.