1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is VG on his way out?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dunkinlos, Apr 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL if you wnat to continue arguing or getting upset over tiny semantics and how 99% of the ppl on this board reference the word "we" and the Rockets... knock yourself out! In fact you can probably do that every minute nonstop as it happens in nearly every post! yippee look at all the nonsense!

While I think its entirely plausible to believe Phil or Carlise might (MIGHT) have gotten the Rockets a few more wins this year... I find it silly for you to assert with any certainty that any coach especially Dantoni would have significantly improved this injury ravaged season.

In regards to your assertion now that Phil and Dantoni have done more in less time, what has Dantoni done that is so much greater than JVG? Been to the finals? Hmm Nope. But hey Lenny Wilkens has done great thngs in the past, Im sure by your logic he'd lead the Rockets to a Playoff birth this year had he been the coach. And the lakers the 7th seed wow! Phil's team is 5 games over .500 with a healthy Kobe and Odom, forgive me if i dont think thats some grand achievement. Again you fail to reveal any convincing argument why he would have led the Rockets to a significantly better record this year?

Again you claim Dantoni led the amare-less suns to 50+ wins this year with his "coaching." So if its dantoni's great coaching that is responsible for this achievement what happened to his supposed "coaching" in 03 when he led the Amare, Marion, J.Johnson, Marbury Suns to a whopping 21 wins?? Don't you think maybe it had something to do w/some floppy bad hair canadian dude than Dantoni's "coaching." Hmm I wonder.

These two points seem to blow some holes in your thoery... to gloss over them and ignore them and stick to your view w/o accounting for them... now thats nonsensical!

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

D'Antoni took over an 8-13 Phoenix Suns that had been 36-46 two seasons before that. He had not chosen the role players. There were no illusions that that Sun team was anywhere near the upper echelon of the Western Conference.

Steve Nash was a free agent last season. Amazing how he would rather return to a team that spurned him instead of staying in the same state and playing for an average coach like Mr. Van Gundy.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Well, edc, I have to agree that you are a bit over the top in calling out use of the word "we" on a fan message board. Your comparison to fans of U2 is not appropriate, as the team in question has "Houston" as part of its name, inevitably leading fans to associate with the team more closely. You have every right to not like the practice of using "we," but it is unfair to flame another poster for it. Posters on this board are not professional journalists and should be given some leeway to express themselves.

On the topic of coaches, of the *available* coaches out there now, who would you rather have as OUR coach going into next year?

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Amazing! again you failed to address the problems with your theory. First of all the Suns team he took over was the 03-04 Suns and was the exact same team that went 44-38 the year ()2-03)before under Frank Johnson and took the NBA champions to be Spurs to 6 games in the playoffs. The team that won 36 games was TWO years (01-02) before Dantoni and was a completely differnt team! why bring that up and not the (02-03) team LOL! Amare made the playoffs in his rookie year and won 44 games with coach Frank Johnson in his second year under Dantoni w/exactly the same team they won 21 games.
    But hey dont lets FACTS get in the way! Yeah Dantoni coaching is the main reason the SUns are winning 50 games w/o Amare! Nothing to do w/Nash!

LOL know your saying Nash chose the SUns who spurned him because he didnt wat to stay in the same state as JVG! Wow JVG is one powerful sonofab**ch! Of course it probly had nothing to do with the Suns offering him 6yr and 65million, which was 20 million and 2 yrs more than CUban would offer... but again these are just stupid facts. :rolleyes:

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

In little words, so you can understand:

D'Antoni.
    took.
    over.
    an.
    eight
    and
    thirteen.
    team.

and.

mid.
    year.
    changes.
    of
    head.
    coach.
    do.
    not.
    tell.
    how.
    good.
    that
    coach.
    is.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL I must have failed math... 8-13 is 21 games... the season is 82 games but 21 games is HALFWAY??? :confused:

O-man if Dantoni took over when they were 8-13 that means in 61 games he "coached" them to a WHOPPING 13 more wins! 13 wins in 61 games! 13 and 48 WOW! You explain aways his 13 and 48 record w/Amare, JJ, and Marion etc as due to mid year changes! lol WoW if mid year changes are so incredibly destructive to a Coache's ability to show how good he is, George Karl must be a GENIUS of INFINITE proportion for what he did in Denver last year!

Edc: "21 games = midyear changes" Im still ROTFL LOL!

Again facts are funny thing...

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

SUCH AN APPROPRIATE NAME! Give it up Van dummy is average at best. And an uninspiring cynical tyrant at worst. He seems to be more of the worst these days. Your codependent love and affection towards VAN STUPID is a disease get help.

8. edc

edc Contributing Member

You probably did.

#48 edc, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Perhaps you should double check your sources. The Suns won more than 21 games that season.

"mid year" is not the same as "half way." IMHO, 21 games is too far into the season to call it "early."

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You know what stupid? Your assumption and baseless statement.
    Please show me a post where I in any way made a statement which said JVG did a good job this year? Please show me where my "love and affection" my "disease" as you call it is displayed? You know what else is stupid, making a bet against the Rockets making the playoffs last year and then not paying it! Hmm I wonder if Tyler Durden is still around... he might be looking for you.

Edc Ooops they won 29! instead of 21 wow! And mid year is technically in june, Dantoni was hired on Dec 10. I dont think Dec qualifies as mid year do you? So which is it, did you mean mid year or mid way thru the season?

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Marbury is traded to NYK in the 03-04 season.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

The middle fifty weeks are all "mid year."

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

there are 52 weeks in a year.
    Dec is the 48-52 weeks of the year.
    Dantoni was hired dec 10.
    EDC considers that "mid year" :eek:
    I wonder when he celebrates New Years's eve! :D

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

blahblehblah thinks "0" is the same or only slightly worse than "9."
    By his own admission, blahblehblah "must have failed math."

No wonder he is content with a head coach supposedly brought in to "win and win now" leading the Rockets to more losses than victories.

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

LOL, you guys are reduced to arguing over what mid-year means?

But seriously, nothing D'Antoni did that year indicates he's a worse coach then JVG.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Van Gundy honestly believes in what he preaches. He's a good hearted guy and a great, great basketball coach. Whether he suits what we need right now? Probably not so much. We need a new vision.

We shouldnt hate on Jeff though boys. :)

Its the same with Brown in NY. Everyone blames him for a crap season with the knicks...when did they last have a good one? Is it his fault the roster is overblown with losers and quitters (my exceptions being Q...oh and maybe Steve) Oh how quickly people forget the Larry Brown of so, so many previous years and teams. The man is a genius.

It's the old saying about the players playing the game.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

[triumph the insult comic dog]

...for me to poop on.

[/triumph the insult comic dog]

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JEEZ...such a huge debate over me saying "we had a lot of injuries".

EDC: if you don't like the use of "us" or "we" when talking about a sports team then don't use it. I'm sure you don't anyway. about 99% of people on this board do, so if it really bothers you that much then you can email clutch or start a thread in the feedback forum to complain about it.

i'm not sure what that has to do with my point anyway.

i have 2 problems with firing JVG this summer. keep in mind that they do not apply for next summer.

1. tmac and yao will missed a combined 46 games by seasons end. i think we can agree that outside of yao and tmac there is less talent on this team then any team in the league. i don't expect many wins out of those 46 games.

2. i wouldn't be opposed to JVG getting fired this summer if there was a better coach available.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

First of all Micheon, the argument is not that D'antoni is worst than JVG, i dont think he is. Edc is arguing that Dantoni would have certainly taken this year's injury ridden rockets team to a .500 record and contention! I am argueing against that. iN FACT the year Dantoni took over the Suns indicates AGAINST edc's argument.

LOL as to the midyear thing, I'm just picking on edc's midyear comment to prove a point... even when hes obviously wrong... he wont admit to it, but instead try to make excuses... first by saying he meant mid-year and not midseason, then by ignoring the question and his own statement. which I'll quote for prosterity.

ANd edc show me where I stated I was "content" w/jvg or where i said i thought 0 = 9? Cant O didnt think so... as usual wrong again.

20. Simpa

Simpa Member

I agree, too. I think people have already had enough of JVG's coaching.
    Let's face it! Even with the team being healthy, JVG is not gonna take us anywhere. The best we can expect with him being the headcoach is 2nd round, and that's all. Personally, I'd like to see a new face next season. Hopefully the Rox can be a different, and better team.