1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(USA Today) Walton on Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Apr 3, 2006.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This blurb, from Michael Hiestand's 'Sports on TV' column in today's USA Today (sorry, no link available [yet?]):

Tidbits: ABC NBA analyst Bill Walton on Sunday on what Houston's Yao Ming really needs now: "A great coach."

I laughed. But I doubt his (apparently not great) coach did.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Another bash JVG thread, surprise!

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

lemme hijack this and convert it into a trade MCgrady for Earl Boykins thread.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i heard him say that during the game. i think he meant for one-on-one training. someone to teach him some extra post moves, etc...

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Nah, he was pretty clearly talking about head coaches. He even went on to say that Ewing had John Thompson and Pat Riley.

6. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

HAHAHA oh so true

7. jlwee

jlwee Member

It looks like Bill Walton is eyeing the job of JVG, that's head coach of houston Rockets.......

Bill, please consider, if you were the head coach, you will be flamed in hell like JVG on this board..... :D

8. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

he doesn't have any back problems does he? :D

9. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

Yeah, I remember this during the game--he definitely was taking shots at JVG and Ewing...Walton said what most impressive about Yao's development is "that he's had to figure all this out himself. The one thing that Yao lacks that every other great big man has had at some point in his career is a great coach" The other commentators pretty much burst out laughing and one of them said something to the effect that Walton won't be getting any calls or invites from JVG or Ewing", and Walton continued saying even Ewing had Thompson and Riley--Yao's never had that.

He wasn't exactly mincing words! :eek:

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..i'm sure he'd play hella better if he just had a new coach. :rolleyes:

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know this has been posted before... :)

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is true. I met Walton in Vegas a couple years ago, and he told me that he didnt like JVGs system.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree, he is dead on right. I think Ming would have progressed faster in a different system with a more offensive minded coach.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's pretty well known around the NBA that JVG's coaching style is predicatable, mechanical, non-adapting, and downright ugly.

Bill Walton isnt the first one to take a shot at Gundy.

Not only are we stuck with a mediorcre coach in Gundy, his personality is also going to effect Rockets in attracting players to team up with Yao/Tmac.

15. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

jvg needs to modernize his coaching style, but bill walton is a blathering buffon...i hope his studdering problem comes back and we dont have to listen to him on tv anymore

16. midnight

midnight Member

I think Walton is right, JVG is moderate coach, the rockets need a good coach elevate them to next level.

17. jlwee

jlwee Member

I wont say JVG is a bad coach just that i think JVG coaching philosophy is more suited for playoffs basketball... the problem now is, his team cant even win in the regular seasons..... :D

18. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

I wasn't tuned into the commentary the entire game, and am not sure this is what I heard at all, but I think Walton may have said Jeff Van Gundy was one of the best coaches in the league (or something to that effect) when a stat came up of JVG being in his 10th year coaching in the NBA, his win/loss record, etc...

Does anyone remember this? Did Walton make this comment or was it someone else?

19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

lool! ... you should ...these threads are crazy man...

20. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

first, Bill Walton is stupid... second, a successful coach is not the one that wins championships or wins a lot (Jackson, Brown)... a good coach is the one that gets right players with the right roles and get some chemistry going... I think the best coach in the league now is Mike D'Antoni.. I know he has Nash, Amare, and Marion..but he gets the right players and turn them into superstars.. I mean, look at Raja Bell... he is playing really good with them.. and Eddie House..he aint missing a shot and he is playing with the team like he has been playing with them for 10 years... they also got Diaw and it turned out to be successful... D'Antoni also give players their freedom, he doesn't turn them into robots ... he gives them some plays, but not every single time.. that's why they are fun to watch .. I am actually sick of watching the boring, slow rockets... but you know what? I think JVG is doing the right thing and I know everybody will start going off on me..but it's impossible for any coach to have a running style with a dominant center like YAO... Phoenix is successful in running because their center can run .. kinda like Hakeem with the rockets.. but Yao is like Shaq ..he needs a half court offense to be set in the post so he can get some points.. so stop messing with JVG..