1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is RA really our PG of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michecon, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes it will....and it is not bashing....

Why do people call it bashing when a player STINKS up the joint? Why not just call it like you see it...

Rafer has been playing TERRIBLE basketball, his defense is PATHETIC....He can't shoot for crap, the only redeeming quality is that he can make an entry pass to Yao, and rack up assists.

We got rid of a player (mike james) who could create his own shot, play man to man defense, could shoot the 3 ball and penetrate for Rafer.

And, get this....if we did not like James, his contract was up this year...Rafer has YEARS left.....this was probably the worst trade by the Rockets in a long time.

And, I was a bit in favor of it too, as I though James would have shot more than necessary because it is a contract year.....boy was I wrong.

DD

2. declan32001

declan32001 Member

DD, that entire post is the very definition of bashing. No biggie. :D

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Exactly. i'm sick of hearing how alston is a Shoot Second PG, hence he is better suited here. last season james seemed to fit here just fine. problem was james was gonna walk this offseason anyway. so might as well get something worthwhile in return.Hopefully Alston will take the offseason to start shooting a thousend shots a day to imporove his shot for next season. we're stock with him like it or not. noone will touch his horrendus contract.

4. striker

striker Member

This is like some fool asking why Chateau Lafite is better than Boone's Farm. If you've tasted both and you're too stupid to see the difference nobody is going to be able to explain it to you because you obviously no squat about wine or in this case basketball. But I'll give it a little go:

1. Skip to my Lou is probably the worst defensive PG in the league (PS half the game is spent at the defensive end).

2. Skippy maybe a slightly better outside shooter but he still sucks. Parker at least realizes he shouldn't shoot the three and can still score HIGHLY efficiently in almost every game. Meanwhile your little love child Lou jacks up shots at a low efficiency. (PS if you've watched Parker this year he's been working with Chip Engelland, Kerr's old shooting coach, and his 16 - 18 footer he's hitting at about a 50% clip for the last couple of montshs.)

3. Parkre runs a team efficiently and gets the ball where it needs to go. He controls tempo well. He breaks down another team's defense on a consistent basis (like the Rockets last night) and gets open looks for his teammates or scores at a 55% rate himself. He, more than Duncan even, has been the engine that has driven the Spurs to a near best record in the league.

4. Little Lou sucks and will eventually drift to third PG on some team. ansd you know jack--- about basketball fool.

5. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Sorry but if we still had Mike James, you would all still be bashing. TRUE STORY. Just like how Raptor fans are bashing him.

6. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This is the truth. MJ was "bashed" last year and this year would be no different. During a disappointing season, fans flail away at anything that can be hit. Right now, only Yao is immune because of how he's played since the All-Star break.

7. striker

striker Member

btw clueless computerman Parker since the all-star game has shot 50% (34-68) from 16 or more feet.

8. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

While I will not descend to your level and hurl your crappy insults back at you, I'll point out to you that you still have not refuted anything I've said. If you could read, you'll notice that I never said Skip is a better player than Tony, and in fact I have pointed out his deficiencies. But you still cannot tell me how I'm wrong when I say that Skip averages more assists and less turnovers than Tony. Unfortunately your hateful insults make you unworthy of even a debate, so I don't know why I'm wasting my words here.

9. striker

striker Member

1. Rafer is a better ballhandler if you're fascinated by and1 ballhandling BS that does nothing but waste the shot clock. Being a Rocket fan and watching Francis for years I guess you wouldn't know any better. Parker is an excellent, efficient ballhandler. Nobody even bothers to try to press him full court.

2. The majority of Parker's TOs come from getting blocked at the rim or stripped driving the lane.

3. Skippy as noted is possibly the crappiest defensive PG in the league, something you forgot to mention sperating him from Parker.

4. Skippy can't break down the D and create for his teammates 1/10th as well as Parker.

5. Also seperating Parker from Skippy, in addition to scoring effectively and effidciently, is cLou-less is decision making. Parker has a brain and much like his predecessor Stevie, Lou doesn't.

Now don't give me any BS about how I didn't answer you.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Alston is having difficulty in passing into Yao, or possibly is reluctant to do. He get very few assists from setting up Yao Ming because he passes to another inorder for them to attempt a pass.

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

He was good for a while...oh that's before his utter inability at hitting the jumper being exposed. Nowadays, his man would let him shoot and double Yao, of course his ability to pass to Yao would been hampered.

12. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

personally, i like RA. Of course he's no Nash, bibby, Parker and etc, but he does what he needs to do. All you people that are bad-mouthing him, why would you? Think about it, he has to play the hardest position in the league. And to add to that, he has to play under JVG which doesn't make it any easier.

I like for him to continue to be the PG for the future. He's a team player, got decent penetration, and an okay shot which will get better.
    He doesn't try to be like previous superstars playin the point guard position for the rockets.

t-mac, yao, RA, Head, Hayes......I like to keep these players and build build build.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rafer melts under pressure.

His brain freezes in clutch situations.

He cant stop a 3 year old running to a candy store.

Despite of all this he COULD possibly survive on a championship team playing with Yao/Tmac IF he could make the open shot.

Unfortunately he cant.

Good luck winning anything big with Juwan and Alston in the starting lineup.

14. xcomputerman

Wow, six paragraphs and only one insult? You're getting better at this.

I don't know what game you're watching, but this statement is patently false. One of Rafer's key qualities is that he brings up the ball very quickly and does not waste time at all in setting up the offense and handing off the ball. And he does get very few full court presses too, because he has a good handle on the ball.

So what difference does this make? Or how does it negate the fact that he still turns the ball over more?

Again, another false assertion. See my initial post on this thread:
    "We've already seen him with a semi-healthy McGrady and Yao. In case you've forgotten, he was averaging like 10 assists/game during that stretch. There's no doubt that his defense and clutch decision making are big deficiencies for him right now, but I see those as things he can definitely improve on as he grows with this team. (For instance, look at the inspired defense he played on AI during our first meeting with Philly this season). There are few players in the league who can run an offense better than Rafer ... once you get past the Nashes and Billupses and a few other allstar-caliber point guards, you realize that Rafer's definitely a keeper on this team."

It's pointless trying to exaggerate to make your point. It is already agreed that Parker is a better penetrator than Rafer and is more dangerous driving into the paint. But trying to use hyperboles such as "1/10th" in a futile attempt to make your point more forceful won't get you anywhere.

Really? And let me guess, you have a brain too and Skip doesn't? Your over-exaggeration isn't helping your cause, mate. Again, if you see my previous posts, you'll note that I have clearly said he needs to improve decision making during crunch time. But never mind, let's hear it for more hyperbole!

I don't know about you, but my BS detector is spiking badly already...

15. striker

striker Member

I've watched Alston when he played for Miami, for Toronto and now Houston. You must be talking about another Alston I haven't been watching.

Put it this way, if they started drafting point guards for pickup games there would be about 30 PGs picked after Parker and before Skippy. That's how close Skippy's game is to Parker's. And oh yeah you still don't know jack.... about basketball.

16. xcomputerman

Aw, you couldn't answer my points back. The best you could do is hurl another insult? Come back next year when you're a little older.

17. striker

striker Member

Okay.

1. You full of it. In the half court Skippy will jack around with the ball far more than necessary. Not near as bad as "if I only had a brain Francis" but Parker could do all that crap but why should he when he can get where he needs to in half the time.

2. Difference is Parker makes higher risk higher reward plays, gets to the basket and finishes, dishes or kicks out. Over 50% of the Spurs offense this year is generated by Parker. So he turns it over more because he takes more chances and is effective at it. Quote a stat or understand the game. You're trying to make a case that Skippy has al leg up in the area of TOs is a simple to looking at stats.

3. Skippy is a crappy defender. Suck it up.

4. Okay. Make it 1/9th. Like I said this year Parker has been the cog in the Spurs offensive wheel. That's a wheel that has a a 52 - 14 record. I Rockets had Parker instead of Skippy they'd be a 4 seed by now not hoping for a high lottery pick.

5. Sorry chump but 90% of the people on this board recognize Skippy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Tha puts you in the bottom 10 percentile.

I'm done with fools that put Parker and Skippy in the same sentence without not anywhere close in between.

18. xcomputerman

Well to be fair if you watched highlights (the ones R2K usually makes after games) you'd see quite a few of them. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's getting outplayed by opposition PGs ... what I'll say that his defense has not been good generally. Every now and then he shows up with some inspired defense (see AI, Cassell), but more often he doesn't play his man well and commits too many cheap fouls (see AI part II). I think that unless we're getting a major upgrade (and not giving up too much in the process), it's better for us to keep him ... he is the best we've had in quite a while, and he hasn't even had time to develop chemistry with this team, given all the injuries (including his own injury in the first half of the season). I'd like to see him grow and get better with T-Mac and Yao -- as they play together more, his game can only get better and better. Tony Parker, for example, has the advantage of having developed with the Spurs for several years before he got to this point.

Thanks for chipping in though. It's refreshing to have a discussion with someone who can actually bring up real talking points without using all sorts of childish insults. As for you striker, you earned the #2 spot on my ignore list. Congratulations. :)

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Lets trade Alston back for Mike james

20. striker

striker Member

Toronto and Bosh say thanks but no thanks.