1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason why some people Hate Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuLiO-R-, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Here's one of the reasons why I think some people don't like Yao.

Watch these ESPN Highlights

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260312024

Every single play they showed was the Spurs scoring. They showed 2 Dunks on Yao, and Duncan pump faking Yao and scoring. There was not 1 Yao highlight, not even 1 Rockets highlight.

Yao Ming's #s were 25pts--10rebs--3blks. But ESPN didn't mention this at all on their Highlights. They did put his numbers in at the end, but the way they put their clips together looked like Yao had a bad game, and that the Spurs just dominated the entire game.

I think alot of opinions on Yao are influenced on what SportsCenter puts out there. Alot of people can't watch every game on the Rockets, so they watch SportsCenter to see what happened. And if SportsCenter only shows the negetive, people are gonna have negative opinions on Yao based on what they saw.

2. nyc2k2

nyc2k2 Member

It is OK. Just beat them next time.

3. sourav004

sourav004 Member

They usually show more clips of winners then losers so that might be the reason for showing more spurs dunking on yao clips, besides yao is not really a highlight machine.

It is more impressive to see a smaller guy dunk on a seven footer then to see a seven footer dunk on a smaller guy. (see shawn bradley- the ultimate highlight maker)

People "dislike" yao because he hasnt lived up to the tramendous expectations place on him until the last 10 games.

Dont worry though I think yao is gaining alot of respect in the league and the next games will show the league how great yao can be. :) ;) :D
    -Lal Salam

4. dream2franchise

I've noticed this too and it irritates the hell out of me. SI.com's headline said, "Finleys dunk over Yao triggers Spurs win". For some reason the media likes to humiliate Yao, especially ESPN.

There was not a single rockets highlight, nor did they even bother showing how close the game was or how Yao was solid as the man carrying his group of role players against the star studded spurs. The recap, highligts, headlines were all anti Yao.

And you know they are just waiting and hoping that Yao can't lead them to the playoffs.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Espn is a hype machine.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what they say. Yao is getting better.As long as he keeps on improving we will be all right.

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I just saw the highlights on TV and one of the guys said,

"Yao Ming is turning into Shawn Bradley right before our eyes."

With comments like that, how is Yao ever going to get respect. I guess it could be a good thing, it keeps the Rockets under the radar while we improve.

8. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

What about ESPN saying "Yao morphing into Shawn Bradley before our very eyes" or something like that and they show clips of Finley and Ginobili dunking on Yao. :rolleyes:

9. pchan

pchan Member

ESPN is obviously biased, and that is the reason they are appealing to their target audience.

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

That's crap. Stupid media.

Being that both of those dunks were at the end of the game, Yao should have blocked the goal, especially on Finley-you could see that coming from a mile away, but Yao didn't get in front of him. Put that clown on his head next time, it would only have been the fifth foul, I believe.

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

how many times have alonzo and shaq been dunked on. no one mentions bradley then. does bradley average 20/10.

espn can suck on these nutzs.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Just remember you are talking about the most known and popular basketball player in our world. ESPN or no ESPN

13. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

well ESPN tend to not give rockets their due credit so...

14. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

True basketball fans love Yao, the allstar votes prove it. Unfortunately there will always be haters along with racists. :mad:

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, I've never understood their way of highlighting for the Rockets games. Hell, there have been a few times Yao has had a great game and they won yet, on the nightly highlights (both Fastbreak and SC) they will just show a couple of TMac shots and that's it. I lost all respect for ESPN when they did a Rocket game highlight at the beginning of the year and the guy on Sportscenter (don't remember who) made a comment about the way Yao is growing his facial hair and he looks like a billy goat, then made a goat sound afterwards when they showed a closeup of Yao running down the court.

16. dream2franchise

I concur. I hate to say it but Yao being Asian is a big reason why he is so disrespected. Ultimately it will cost him the respect he truly deserves. Same thing happened to Hakeem--if he were American i believe his name would constantly be mentioned with the greats--but for some strange reason a center who doesn't play dominant defense, refused to work on his weaknesses throughtout his career, rarely kept in shape during the offseason, and could never led a team on his own to a championship will be mentioned as a top five centre of all time--and that is just not right.

17. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I have to agree. some people cant accept the fact that an Asian can play ball, especially in the NBA. I hope when Yao wins a championship he calls out that piece of shyt network espn. :mad:

the only thing espn is good at is sucking lebron james' pole. f^&k each and every one of em, especailly that neil everat and stuwart scott.

18. redao

redao Member

The only reason is they hate Yao's RACE.
    ESPN=CNN in the way of anti-China.

19. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

ESPN may hate Yao but they would love Chimezie Kudu. Rockets just need sign him, fatten him up, make him go through strength training, and hire Hakeem to teach him how to play. Easy... :D
    [​IMG]

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...e=rovell/040623

There might be a few longer-than-usual pauses between second-round picks at Thursday night's NBA draft.

That's because sources tell Page 2 that a handful of teams will consider choosing Chimezie Kudu, a 7-foot-11 center from South Africa who will likely become eligible for the draft Thursday morning.

The late notification of Kudu's status is due to the recent discovery of a piece of paper found at NBA headquarters just last week. The letter, which was postmarked May 10, stated Kudu's intention to enter the draft.

But because Kudu speaks a dialect of Hottentot, the letter -- written using the modern Latin alphabet -- was mistakenly thrown out by a high-ranking league official's assistant.

A summer intern who studied Latin at Columbia University came across fragments of the letter in a recycling bin, loosely translated it and immediately notified NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik.

"This is an awful misunderstanding," said a league source, who did not want to be identified. "As far as we know, Mr. Kudu never followed up on his letter, though we are not entirely sure. It's very possible our switchboard hung up on him several times since he doesn't speak English."

Only one independent scout, a man named Salongo Sefu, has seen Kudu play. The 19-year-old South African phenom has only practiced on a single hoop in a local park in his native land -- the rim made out of antelope horn, the netting from the skin of a zebra.

Page 2, though, got an exclusive breakdown from Sefu on Kudu's game -- though, in fairness, we should point out that it's difficult to trust Sefu's evaluations. The scout likely will become Kudu's agent as soon as his eligibility is made official.

According to Sefu, Kudu is a "true" 7-11 and weighs a tad under 265 pounds. He has a standing reach of 10 feet and has huge hands that are "deceptively soft."

Sefu says he is "proportionally skinnier than Shawn Bradley," and has one-percent body fat, which is concentrated in his cheeks and the back of his knees. "He has to bulk up," Sefu admits. "Because he's exactly 7-foot-11, I'm already talking to the people at 7-Eleven and they might want him to endorse their new cheesy hot dog."

"Right now, he doesn't look athletic," Sefu says. "But consider the fact that he's never even seen a free weight and has existed on a diet of only fruit every day of his life."

Sefu says that his client-to-be has never played anyone of NBA-caliber. Actually, under Page 2's questioning, Sefu admitted he's never played anyone, period -- although "the kid can play with his back to the basket ... but you probably have to remind him, at some point, to face the hoop before he takes his shot."

As for the arc on his shot, Sefu echoes a comment made by one high-profile analyst about potential top-five pick Andre Iguodala: "He's not a great shooter, but he shoots a good ball."

"Darko (Milicic) was taken second overall last year and averaged 1.4 points per game," Sefu says. "I'm sure Kudu could do better, even though he has some problems jumping because of chronic foot issues."

He's never shot a free throw, according to Sefu. But the scout insists, "He can't be much worse than Shaq."

Kudu's defense is expected to be poor. And he might have some initial trouble passing the ball, since he's never really practiced. But Sefu says Kudu's upside is so great that he feels many teams might not be able to pass on him.

"He's certainly not polished, but the kid's clearly a freak -- and I mean that in a positive way," Sefu says. "He's a project, but his potential is unlimited once he grows into his body."

Sefu is not sure if Kudu will be willing to block shots, despite his height.

"He's a very sensitive guy, and he might not want to hurt the feelings of those playing with him," he says. "We might have to work that into his contract as an incentive, but I can't guarantee anything on that front. I can guarantee that the kid can dunk."

One final factor for a team that has Kudu under draft consideration is the language barrier. Although he can write using the modern Latin alphabet, his Hottentot dialect was previously believed to have been extinct.

Sefu has seen him play several times, but he has actually never spoken to him. As far as Sefu knows, no person who speaks Kudu's dialect also knows English.

"But I think it's safe to say that we all speak the language of basketball," Sefu says. "Even though Chimezie has been playing all his life with a ball made out of fused sheep's testicles."

[​IMG]

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

How dare you question the almighty ESPN .