1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it Nash or Spurs defending the arc?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ndnguy85, Mar 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

Suns were 3/11 from 3pt land. Why do we have such a hard time with suns?

spurs were able to score around 117 while keeping them to 93.

2. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

No Nash = Lame Suns. It's a simple equation.

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Quasars, you might even say.

:p

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Nash wasn't there and Alston wasn't there to defend him. Plus, we're not exactly Spurs calibre :p .

5. Ownage

Ownage Member

No Nash, Leandro Barbosa, KT, Amare, Brian Grant..

6. lalala902102001

The Suns' offense (and to a less extent the Hornets' offense these days) is built around a PG who can push the ball and create easy layups for wing players and wide open shots for shooters. Without Nash this offensive system is crippled. That's why Steve Nash is by far the MVP of Phoenix Suns. He is much more important to that team than Marion or Amare.

7. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Marion is near up there. He brings so much to the game..

8. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The way I see it, Marion impacts the Suns more from a defensive standpoint than he does on offense. He was never a "great" offensive player until Steve Nash got there.

His rebounding, steals, and blocked shots all contribute to the Suns' fast break...which is by far the most important part of the Suns offense. However, while what Marion brings to the game is important, they're completely lost on offense without Nash pushing the ball. For a team that relies significantly more on offense than defense, Nash is definitely the MVP of that team.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The spurs also are dedicated to staying on the 3pt shooters.

DD

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I don't know about that. I mean, even with Nash, Marion's scoring hasn't really increased all that much from his career averages. This year isn't even the first time he's been a 21+ ppg scorer (02-03).

11. noize

noize Contributing Member

Bingo. Popovich also put much emphasis to guard the 3pt line before the game. Its not a hard concept to grasp, why the hell we didn't do that this and gave them open look all day?

12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I think that's because VG, like Rudy, would prefer to be beat from the outside than the inside. It's easy to say "defend the perimiter." There are always tradeoffs on defense. You get defenders sticking closer to guys on the perimiter and it's that much easier for them to penetrate.

I'm not saying VG had the perfect plan vs. the Suns. But it's not as easy as simply saying defend the 3pt.

I remember back when we had Rudy and faced the Jazz in the playoffs. We always kept one man on the picker in the p&r to prevent the layup. So instead we had Stockton burying 10 footers all night. Some coaches will always prefer to be beaten by jumpers and protect the paint at all costs, I think VG is of that mold.

13. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I'll agree that Marion has been pretty consistent on offense his entire career. Nonetheless, his field goal percentage has increased dramatically now that he's the main guy feeding off of Nash. You can't deny that his efficiency has increased.

From the games I saw last season, he played primarily at the top of the key with Stoudemire down low. The seasons before that, with Stoudemire at the PF spot (and Marbury at PG), he was mainly a swingman who had to create for himself.

#13 Kyrodis, Mar 10, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Both play a big role. Nash helps thems get good looks at three, but the Spurs are at the top of the league in defending against three-pointers. When you have quick defenders like Parker, Ginobili, and Bowen on your team, it's a little easier to defend the perimeter.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe true. But great coaches prefer to win games, and if that means adjusting to guard the other team differently, you do that.

I think every coach would prefer to get beat by 15+ footers than layups...it just makes more sense. NBA players are more likely to make layups than jumpers. Every player is, regardless of level.

But you have to recognize that the Suns are geared to be able to take, and make, more often than most, outside jumpers, and to not even worry about it as much when they don't make them because it forces an up-tempo game, which plays into the other part of thier offense, the fast break/easy layup points.

The Spurs have had more success than anyone defeating this version of the Suns. They've done it by guarding the perimeter. Regardless of the "type" of coach you are, it seems like a good strategy to employ.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fair point. But you underrate Nash's dribble-penetration ability. Very few in the league can dribble-penetrate and dish the ropck like Nash and Paul. Like it or not - when the heart of your diffense is constantly intruded it forces the perimeter to cave it or your big men will be in foul trouble triying to contain "a Nash" or "a Paul".

The "staying with the perimeter guys" is easier said than doen withought Nash in the lineup.

The Spurs play the Suns again next Friday, March 17 - hopefully Nash will be back by then (heck even Amare and Thomas could likely be back as well). Then we will see how good Spurs Peri-D really is.