1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peterson a 2nd rounder??

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, Apr 6, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't agree with this, but according to the mock draft at bskball.com, Mo Pete will be a second round pick. According to him, there are way too many talented SF's out there for him to even be a first rounder. Does anybody know anything or have any comments about Peterson's status? It sure would be nice if he fell- we could get a great frontcourt player with our top pick and Mo Pete with a later pick.

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bskball is WAAY out of date. try nbadraft.net for a more current list (they update every weekend) They have him listed right now at #8.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, actually Bskball made up that mock draft on this Tuesday (April 4). Still, I agree with you. Pick #8 is more like it. I really seem to doubt Bskball's draft because it had Etan Thomas going 4th and Mateen Cleaves 9th. It also had the Rockets picking Chris Porter with the 7th pick, and I think we can do much better than that.

------------------

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Here's the link to that mock draft: http://nbadraft.net/ They have Johnson coming to Houston. Also, check out how many picks the freakin' Bulls have in this draft.

------------------

[This message has been edited by grummett (edited April 06, 2000).]

5. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Bskball.com's draft is just messed up. No way Peterson is a second rounder. This guy is a lotto pick. No way Etan goes that high either. Just a few of the many things wrong.

Nbadraft.net's draft is pretty solid, with a few questions here and there. I don't think we would spend our pick on DerMarr if Moiso is available. No way we pass up a 6'10" athletic PF for a 6'9" SG, especially with us being overloaded at guard.

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

hi guys, im new to the forum. By the way, nbadraft.net updated its draft and the rockets take peterson with the 7th pick. What do you guys think about that? They also don't show us receiving detroits first rounder this year.

------------------

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

wrt www.nbadraft.com's most recent mock draft,

No way now how will Vancouver take Courtney Alexander with the 4th pick. They have their 2 of the future in Dickerson. What they really need is a 4 or a 5.

------------------

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i meant nba draft.com

------------------

9. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I dont agree with many of the picks on either.

what do you guys think of mine? reply in my mock draft thread.
    please note the good/bad points

------------------
    --TEX

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

Got a question. I don't watch much college basketball, so I don't know much about any of these guys except what is said about them. When I looked at Peterson's bio on nbadraft.com they listed him as 6'6" and 210 pounds. That's what Shandon is listed as well. Some have said that Shandon isn't big enough to be our starting small forward, so why would Peterson be? What happens when you match up against Garnett, Abdur-Rahim, or Odom? Seattle has done okay with a 6'6" guy at small forward, but Patterson is almost 230 pounds. Is there anybody with better size and similar talent? Does it matter?

------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited April 08, 2000).]

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Darius Miles is 6'9'' 220 if that'd make you feel any better. Also, Mike Miller, another likely option is 6'8'', and has some pretty good handles.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

12. LaTinBoy

LaTinBoy Member

Don't Forget about dermarr Johnosn,, he's 6'9

<html>
    <body>
    <marquee><h4>no matter how hard I try, this thing keeps on moving</h4></marquee>
    </body>
    </html>

------------------

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You may be right, but if Detroit does not re-sign Grant Hill they may later wish they had.

------------------

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Hey Hobbs- welcome to the board. Off the topic of drafting, I have to ask you about Grant Hill. How confident is everyone about him staying there? Has he been quoted saying he'll definitely stay, or that he definitely wants to test the water? Curious.

Also, why do you say that Detroit wouldn't give us the pick this year? Confident that you'll have higher (number) picks in the future?

------------------

15. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Grant Hill will not say he's staying 100%, but he won't say he's testing the waters either. He's pretty much said what he's always said and that is as long as he feels they are making the moves to compete, he'll stay, but he won't guarantee anything until the offseason comes.

Speculation is that he'll sign a one year deal (thereby getting him into a higher maximum salary bracket and giving the team another year to find the elusive center it needs).

Detroit won't give up their pick because they have no reason to. They will have two draft picks in one draft before they ever have to give up their pick.

Why would they give it up? If the bottom falls out, they'll always have another team's pick to dump off and if they do better, they'll be able to dump off their higher pick. There's zero reason for them to give it up now.

------------------

16. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I'm a Detroit fan and I can assure you that Houston will not be getting Detroit's pick this season.

I assume that this is the pick Detroit owes Philadelphia that was eventually traded to you. Well, the conditions on that pick were such that Detroit has several more seasons before they have to give it up.

In fact, Detroit will most likely own Houstons' pick before Houston owns Detroits. Why? Because you owe Vancouver a first rounder and they owe us one that's due before the one we owe Philadelphia.

I hope that helped anyone who had questions.

As for Houston, I think it would be great if they could get Darius Miles. He's got a load of potential.

------------------