1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barry waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Mar 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I pretty much agree. I think more or less they handled the Barry and DA situations OK. The team needed to go in another direction (youth and quickness) and having them on the bench was bad for everybody. These vets got their Rocket contract monies (very fair contracts), and were release/moved with still a chance to go play for teams with playoff potential. In the big picture it speaks well for how we handle FAs (much better than the JJ situation last year I might add) and for recruiting them in the future.

As for Denver being a rival or saying it shows we have given up the playoff chase, pretty marginal case. Denver is going to get the automatic birth as the division winner. They are not really one of the teams we are in a chase with. Very unlikely this move would have any impact on our getting to the playoffs or who we might play.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

wow, this was kinda unexpected.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think I read somewhere that the Cavs signed him for the balance of the year.

Time to bring on DaDa's guy from the Toros... Ezra Somebody.

4. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

sad to see him go... :(

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

You really gonna sit here and tell me defense is our biggest problem? We held teams 91.75ppg on 42% shooting, that's #5 in the league! You can't win games just by playing defense, we need shooters!!! Keith Bogans is a good player, but he's not shooting 43% from the arc like Jon did!

6. droxford

droxford Member

Hang on a second, Clutch.

In your article, you end by saying that "less than a year Barry, Mike James, Bobby Sura and Scott Padgett are all elsewhere."

Sura is still on our team - he's out for the season. I haven't heard anything about him leaving the team.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, for this shocking news, we got some people coming out of the woodworks:

HeyDude, mrdave543....

Where the hell you guys been? :eek:

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

all this negativity and we still didn't know what the plan is yet or what Barry felt with the situation. Everything is speculated and people are ripping the organization as a unit? There's a CHANCE that maybe Barry felt that he should retire because he's hurt? Maybe he wants to be in a team that needs a SG badly for the playoff run? He DID mention in 610AM the other morning that he isn't in the game because he couldn't move too well laterally and defensively and could become a liability on the court. He said that he could still shoot, but maybe he could not move well enough or run well enough? These are speculations too, but this is sounding more like an angry mob that's ready to stone the people responsible without knowing the facts.

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

It must mean Houston signs Rick Brunson. JVG has been in love with him since the NY days.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very well stated.

Now tell me how you really feel about Barry getting cut?

T_Man

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

No kidding, unless Barry officially says, this was not his idea, and I think he's the type to do it if feels it, I don't see the point in all this mindless bashing on this move.

People have been complaining and complaining about the age of this team and that JVG can't seem to part with veterans and then the front office does something like this and everyone is up in arms....don't get it.

I understand that stats wise JB was one of our better shooters this year but you have to consider the amount of game's he played in as well.

12. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I agree, it all started going downhill when we traded Mike James. This team was on the verge of becoming something special.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Welll since we are now in worst case scenario.. We can always get Jim Jackson back.. :D

14. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Mike James staying means Mike James leaving. He wasn't going to stay after this season, he wants the big money and he isn't going to get it here.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, and what all the Mike James lovers here seem to forget...

BTW, can we have Tyronn Lue back? :mad:

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was worried that may be interpreted that way ... I re-read it after I wrote it though and thought it still worked -- as in, Sura is probably at home on the couch with his knee propped up. I'll change the wording to reflect that better though.

17. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

As clutch pointed out, the "reason" behind the waiving was because we did not have a role for him?!?!??!? Thats the most ludacris statement ever, we have no outside perimeter threat and thats exactly was Barry was. I do not agree that bringing in a back up pg like JL3-who i went to high school with btw- is what is keeping this team from making a dramatic run at the playoffs. I understand Barry is old and injuries have set him back, but we have kept far more useless players on this team and I just can not understand the logic behind waiving him/JVG's comments...something doesnt add up

18. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Totally agree.

19. insane man

insane man Member

ima van gundy fan. for the most part i've liked all his moves up until now. i gave him the benefit of the doubt no anderson. but whata hell is the point of this?

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Who will we sign? Hardaway? Younger than JB but still old?

Tim Hardaway is older than JB, but if you mean Penny? I would rather have
    Tim.

JVG is a sensitive chap........He did not announce this like he did with Anderson-different style. Effective, sensitive and thoughtful