1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 2/27/2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Himalayas

Himalayas Contributing Member

We have to control the tempo, do not fall into their pace. If we can slow them a little bit, we will have the key to a win.

How to contain Steve, we have to have a good game plan to deal with Nash, which is hard but mandatory, deny him ball, slow him down, etc. I don't really care about Matrix, if there is no Nash, he cannot carry the Suns.

2. fa7999

fa7999 Member

That's a great idea. We also need to run some P&R with Yao and either TMac or Rafer. Let Nash taste on delicious elbow and he won't be the same for this game.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

that would be great if it were possible. they are too good to be throttled completely. good defense will be important no doubt but, in order to win, we must shoot the ball well, period.

4. Himalayas

I doubt this strategy, coz Nash will easily give up his assignment as we all know that they only do defense in 4th Quarter.

5. Himalayas

I mean slowing them down a little bit, just not at the tempo they prefer, which is possible and we did that before. Trust me, Rox can shoot high scores if they don't plan half court game.

Bottom line, we play at the level that is lower than the Suns do, higher than we usually do.

6. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA HOTBALLA!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

:)

theSAGE!

7. rocketsmetalspd

Tempo Tempo Tempo. Rockets need to play at their tempo and not Suns. We kicked their Ass last year no reason why the Rockets can't do it again this season. T-Mac will be the difference in this game. If he brings his passion tonigth the Rockets will blow the Suns out.

Rockets 110
    Suns 98

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

LEGOMANIA BABY!!!

[​IMG]

getting picked by

[​IMG]

Think it and it will happen!

:D

theSAGE

9. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I agree 100%. If we slow things down and make them play half court playoff ball, we will kill them.

How do you slow things down? <b>By pouncing it into Yao.</b> If they swarm on him, swing the ball around with no hesitations and not let the defense recover and let them cheat on D. Either pass the ball around for the open shot or take it strong to the hoop. They play the passing lanes a lot so attack them when they cheat. We need to attack the rim strong since they don't have much of an interior defense.

On defense, do not collapse too much inside and cover the outside. If Nash dares to go inside, Juwan/Yao/Deke should put him on his back every time he even thinks about it. Stay behind them and make them shoot it over you with a hand on the face.

It really boils down to how the refs officiate the game. If there are lots of ticky tack fouls like the first game in PHO, then we have no shot. If they let us play, they have no chance. PLAY HALF COURT BALL AND TELL SKIP NOT TO PUSH THE BALL LIKE HE's BEEN DOING AGAINST OTHER TEAMS (if we want to beat phoenix)

10. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I see the keys to this game as.

## Contain SNash ##

by doing the following.

1. Full Court press him all game (wear him down) by rotating alot of fresh bodies at him. I see a rotation of Rafer/Head/Fitch pressing Nash all game long as I've seen it be effective on him over the course of the game. This also slows the game down as it takes more time to bring the ball up but we have 3 quick guards who can make life hell for the reigning MVP.

2. Trap him at the Half Court by getting the ball out of his hands. So after being pestered bringing up the ball we trap him once he crosses the half court line and make him give up the ball.

3. Pick n' Rock run Nash through a couple Yao picks and soften him up a little

4. Play at our Tempo slow the game down get into out sets play our game.

5. Attack the basket dont settle of jumpers unless wide open they dont have any shot blockers this is the time to have layup drills. Whenever you see Yao double or triple teamed take it to the rim. This also prevents long rebounds which the Suns like to use to jump start their fast break. Might give Yao more opportunities to get offensive rebounds.

6. Rebounding against the Suns is crucial because we dont want to give them any extra possesions. I would also like to have Yao attack the offensive glass and rack up as many offensive rebounds as possible. This might prevent the Suns from racing back on offense after every shot, because they will need to focus on securing the rebound.

7. Do not double team in the post they do not have any player that warrants a double team so dont do it. I would actually like to see us play man up straight and focus on the 3pt defense this game.

but I think the key to the game is hounding SNash and making his life miserable this game.

J

#90 room4rentsf, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'll be impressed if we dont lose this one by more than 10 pt.
    Let's just mark this as another lost and try to beat da hell outta philly and denver later this week.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm probably on an island here, but we don't need to slow the game down. We should run as much as possible when we have the ball. The key is getting back on defense. If you mean slow it down by not running, I completely disagree. If you mean slow it down by not allowing the Suns to get off the quick easy shot on their offensive end, I agree.

The Suns CAN be throttled for periods of time and they get frustrated and panicky when it happens. We can definitely win this game if we put out a 48 minute effort. Phoenix isn't as good as some of you make them out to be. Erase the previous debacle from your mind.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Phoenix Suns are Yao's greatest test. They force him to jump out and contest jump shooters. He has to be at his most alert and energetic to not be a liability defensively.

Transition D and closing out on 3-point shooters will be the most important thing for the Rockets. And we can't settle for a bunch of 3-point shots like they do. McGrady needs to be aggressive going to the basket, and Yao needs to battle for the offensive boards since he'll likely be stifled by double teams on his post up attempts.

14. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Please give Swift time. Howard is unable to follow S Marion's speed. It's test for JVG.

15. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

I agree, we need to make Steve Nash's life hell tonight. Maybe have Yao set a high pick and knock Steve to the floor like he did with Carlos Arroyo.

16. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Once is not enough. Let him run into Yao 3 times in a row and have to sit out the next 2 months to heal his sorry ass.

17. doudoujing

doudoujing Contributing Member

If Yao got POTW, we would have another win tonight.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

How 'bout putting it this way, without the victory over Phoenix tonight, there is no way Yao would relish his (expected) POW. Rockets' February record would be just as hollow, and we fans (YOFs or otherwise) would feel more bitter than sweet.

19. bestgao

bestgao Member

Can't agree with u more. Hopefully JVG realizes it.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am counting on Van Gundy to show us how good a coach he is at making adjustments tonight. I am expecting him to have us running plays that find Yao open at the rim for dunk after dunk after dunk over his dimutive defenders and force D'Antoni to change his defensive strategy.

Come on Van Gundy. Put that bald dome to work and give the Suns a whole lotta 90 inches more than they can handle.