1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quitten's Thoughts on the Francis Trade (From NBA.com)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Found this to be an interesting read... :p

Pippen on Francis Deal
    I am pretty much befuddled with what New York has done.

I am not a great fan of Steve Francis. He rubbed me the wrong way when he came into the league and demanded that Vancouver trade him. He just isn't the type of player that can make your team better or that can get you where you are trying to get to. He is very talented, but his skills are built around his individual success and not around the success of a team.

Any time you take on such a brilliant nickname as "Franchise," that name has to have some validity behind it and I don't think he has shown that he is a franchise player. It is not going to work for him even moving to New York.

This is another in a long list of desperate moves for the Knicks, going back to the Eddy Curry deal. Eddy Curry's success coming to New York has been about as good as my success coming back to Chicago when my career was pretty much done. He hasn't made any impact on that team, which, I am sure for John Paxson, is the best thing to happen. He just let his No. 1 draft pick go and got another one back. It was a good wash for them, because they didn't lose that draft pick. They sort of gambled on it, played with it, let it go, but then they got it back.

Isiah has brought in players on top of players. He isn't giving one player an opportunity to succeed. You have Stephon Marbury there. Then you bring in Jamal Crawford. Now Steve Francis.

What are you going to do with these guys?

These are three guys that love to pound the basketball and create their own shots. Who is going to succeed at that position? To me it seems like they have just told Isiah to just go out there and continue to see if we can have the highest payroll.

I don't see any chemistry with New York. I don't see that trade helping the Knicks in any way and as for Orlando, they have written this season off and are preparing themselves to continue rebuilding their young team. They want to get guys in there that can in the next three or four years be part of what they have been able to establish.

It is going to be the same type of situation. A lot of it has to do with the individual players. Players in today's game are not geared for winning. They aren't geared for a team concept. They're basically trying to get into the game and they have no knowledge as to what the game is really about.

link: http://www.nba.com/news/movement_2006.html

I can't say that I really disagree with this article, though. :(

2. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

the guy is definitely a hater

3. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

NBA.com then had to remind quitten that he was suposed to be talking about Francis and not himself

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I love how he has the nerve to bash a guy for demanding a trade. Of course, I assume, he believes that he was the caliber of player that is allowed to demand a trade.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if he was the caliber of player who could demand to take the last shot or quit, he could demand a trade.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If Francis had a different last name, would his career be different? I seem to remember him not accepting the name "Franchise" at first. Well, even when he did take it he still didn't live up to it.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

did steve give himself that nickname or was it just bestowed upon him. whatever happeend to calling him wink

as for pippin he is an ass and always be one the fact that he was given a job by the nba and abc makes me throw up in my mouth

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I posted this in the other thread - but again, as others have said - the hypocrisy of Scottie Pippen criticizing players for not being team players when his legacy sans MJ was refusing to take the court in the playoffs when the last shot was given to kukoc is too rich to be belived.

Add in that he demanded a trade FROM houston the same year SF demanded one TO Houston (that he criticizes. and the ironymeter explodes. Hell, at least Steve came out straight up and told the Grizz not to pick him and to trade him. The way scottie handled it was to take shots at his teammates in ESPN interviews and then say he was sorry he ever came to Houston - I mean, he's too much of a b**** to even DEMAND TO BE TRADED the right way

I am pretty much befuddled.

9. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

Love him or hate him he hit the nail on the head.

10. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

pretty much everyone hit it on the head. the irony in his assesment of the trade situation is flat out hilarious. he seemed to forget about his career where he was the definition of "me first." michael jordan was the only person on the planet who would probably tell scottie to shut the hell up, stop b****ing, and let me win you some championships and possibily make you one of the most overrated players in the history of the game.

11. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

he most certainly did. couldnt sum up francis better in that few sentences if i tried.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well as others have said, he is probably right about Francis. However, it just seemed so damn funny to me for this article to come from of all people, Scottie Quitten . It is like one of the most ironic things I have ever read or seen.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Scottie is an ass and he is being hypocritical in this case, but he was a great player. MJ didn't win jack without him...EVER (well, in the NBA that is).

14. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

and scottie didn't win jack without mj....what's your point?

they both needed each other in certain aspects, but it's obvious michael was not only the better player, but the better leader and better professional.

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

pippen always likes to talk **** about people, im surprised he was all up on cuttinos nuts when he came in the league.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Stevie is just following the example that Scotty set for him. He got the demand to be traded thing out of the way right off the bat. He waited until he got to the Magic before he refused to go into a game when the coach called his number. It turns out Stevie is just like Snottie, only not nearly as good at basketball.

17. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Brilliant...