1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Reggie Bush or Someone else -- Vince Young out of running

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not to start an argument or anything, but I think this statement would be more correct if it was VY's name in there.

2. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

It would also work with ladanian tomilinson. What is your point?

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The point that he just de-bunked your statement? You said Bush demands defenses to concentrate on him. He said so does VY, you didn't disagree. What was YOUR point?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So is your point that the point of his last post didn't make sense?

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

You know I hate to dish Reggie Bush- because we can all see that when he is in the open field he is a outrageous threat with his speed and balance/moves.

I really don't understand why anyone can't see the talent Vince Young has at the QB position. Best 'potential' (don't we hate that word now) I 've ever seen at the position coming out of college.

This is a deep draft where 5 high picks (1-3 rounds) could garner 5 good starters, maybe 2-3 impact players.

I think the team that passes Vince Young is going to look stupid.
    I think the team that drafts Reggie Bush will find a way to use him effectively.
    I think if Charlie Casserly gets 5 high picks and has his way he will mess 3 of them up.

There is my big time NFL expert opinion.

So in order of NFL expert smart opinion-
    1. Draft Vince Young- I want to be the one to find out how good he really is. ;)
    2. Trade the pick- Casserly could get lucky. :eek:
    3. Draft Bush- heh- I won't cry about anyone that fast if he gets some blocking. :rolleyes:

6. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Point 1: what if he got 15 touches a game and scored TDs on 2 of them
    Point 2: Why? Look at the Steelers, they start Parker and use Bettis in short yardage situations. Worked for them.
    Point 3: anywhere from 4.0 to 5 is terrific. Backs with big play ability tend to average quite a few yards per carry.
    Point 4: see point 2
    Point 5: Depends on where he is used in passing situations - you would want Bush out on routes, you could use the FB or Wells in the backfield.
    Point 6: this is Bush in spades
    Point 7: should be a lock given his break away ability.

I am actually torn between drafting Bush or trading the pick - depending on the offer, but some of the questions surrounding Bush are (to me) a little silly. Sometimes people focus too much on what guys cannot do, and forget what they can do. Bush has been a TD machine, and in my eyes he is the second coming of Marshall Faulk. I think if his career turned to be as good as MFs than he would be worthy of the first pick. I love VYs talent too, but I cannot see completely giving up on Carr at this point.

7. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

This has always been one of my points about the Texans and Carr. It is easy to shut one guy down, whether it be a RB, QB, or WR. When you have a couple of playmakers you put tremendous pressure on a defense. I don't care all that much who they draft so long as the team is better at the end of the day. I do think though if you added Bush to the current mix, plus a quality TE, and a second WR that can catch balls that hit him in the hands (unlike Bradford) then the offense could be poised to take off. Obviously the Oline must be addressed and this could be done by potentially adding Lepsis and Bently. You could easily create room for them by cutting Walker, Coleman, PBuc, and re-doing Mckinney's deal.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

It is mind boggling to me that there is an actual debate about drafting either Vince Young or Reggie Bush. The side arguments for each player should not factor into the draft decision. Young’s hometown hero status and his subsequent economic impact on the team, coupled with the fact that he is analogous to Lebron James in many ways, can be somewhat cancelled out by the fact that this team has already invested in a quarterback. Though even that point is marginal, as I think Young is not only a transcendent talent but a transcendent figure who will become not only the face of whatever franchise he plays for, but the face of the NFL for the foreseeable future. Let’s analyze and compare these players.
    Reggie Bush could not carry the load as the primary rusher on his college team. He either lacks the ability, or lacks the desire to run inside in college. How will that translate to the NFL where it is even harder to run to the corners? His performance against Texas is telling. Texas’s defensive philosophy is built on speed. They sacrifice size at most positions to gain a speed advantage, and for the most part were able to contain Bush. They were able to contain this supposed incredible talent, a Heisman trophy winner, despite there being another Heisman trophy winner playing quarterback. Think about that. USC’s offense wasn’t solely built around Bush, but a combination of White’s power running and Leinart’s passing. And yet the defense was still able to contain Bush. Possibly the most interesting sideline shot of any football game that I’ve seen was that of Reggie Bush on the sideline, THE SIDELINE, tensely watching the most important play of the game unfold. This incredible, game changing, future NFL superstar was not even on the field when all USC needed to seal a National Championship was two yards. And yet, the Texans should pass on Vince Young to select him. Should we also trade up to get Lendale to play when it matters?
    Now let’s look at Vince Young. Surrounded by incredible talent no doubt, but no Heisman trophy winner at running back. Actually a career underachiever, and a couple of freshman. A pretty outstanding record in college. But can he do it in the NFL? I don’t know for sure. But I sure don’t see any evidence that he can’t. He’s been attacked for his reliance on his running, but against Ohio State he used his arm to carve up one of the most talented defenses in the country. There has never been a quarterback, with his size, speed, running ability, and arm. Ever. Remember when Michael Vick came out of college? Remember how you wished the Texans had the first pick that year? What makes Young different from Vick? About 6 inches and 30 pounds, and a whole bunch of positive intangibles. So why is there not this unanimous outcry for Young like there was for Vick? And guess where Vince Young was, when the game was on the line for his offense, needing a touchdown with 20 seconds left in the game. He ended up trotting into the endzone, untouched. I guess if he was watching the game from the sideline, he would seem like a more attractive draft choice. If the Texans pass on Young, it will go down in history as the biggest mistake in the history of the NFL draft. Book it.

PS: RM95, I got your back. You better still watch scrubs. ;)

9. IC2000

My point is even if bush doesn't touch the ball on every play (like vince), he still is a huge factor in every play

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Rack him.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't do this all on my own.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Reggie did average 6.9 Yards Rushing and 16 Yards Reciveving against the Texas Defense. His explosive take it to the house runs was taken away but he still managed to be effective.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Franchise RBs who actually carry a team are rare, meanwhile with most QBs taken in the top 10, it is expected.

I'm not sure if Reggie Bush is Barry Sanders, but from what I have seen of Vince Young, I'd have a tough time passing him up if Barry himself was in the pool.

14. IC2000

oh i am convinced now, lets take young. Bush sucks because he was not on the field. Young is so great that it will be the biggest mistake ever :rolleyes:

you people are amazing

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, don't listen to NFL scouts. Listen to clutch bbs posters.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As much as Ibelieve that Barry Sanders was probably the best RB of all time, not even he could make the Lions into contenders on his own. A franchise QB, such as I and many others believe he will be, can change the fortunes of a club very quickly.

The fact remains that if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, it probably wouldn't be nearly as devastating as passing on VY. Passing on VY also means that the Titans probably become spoken along with the Colts for the top of the division for a long time to come. Not only do the Texans have to consider what VY can do for themselves, they should keep in mind what happens if the pass and a division rival gets him.

17. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

#1597 Starvela, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  18. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5348466?print=true

Young won't work out at NFL combine
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 2 hours ago

FORT WORTH, Texas - Vince Young picked up another trophy Monday night, but the star quarterback doesn't plan to pick up any footballs for NFL scouts this week.

FOX Bite
    Videos

UT's Young working hard
    Former Texas Longhorns QB and Rose Bowl MVP Vince Young works out and updates his progress with the NFL Draft looming.

Young, the two-time Rose Bowl MVP expected to be among the top three picks in the NFL draft, received the Davey O'Brien Award that goes to the nation's best quarterback. He was named the O'Brien winner in December, weeks before his Texas Longhorns beat Southern California and 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart for the national championship.
    Next up is the NFL's scouting combine in Indianapolis later this week, but Young isn't planning to throw or run there.

"Just interview," Young said. "I don't feel like I have to show a lot. I think they understand me, have been watching me for a long time."

Young's hometown Houston Texans have the first overall pick, but this month they gave quarterback David Carr a three-year contract extension. So Young knows there's a chance he won't play in Houston.

"I won't be disappointed," he said. "The biggest thing is I just want to play football."

The New Orleans Saints have the second pick. The Tennessee Titans, where Young's close friend and mentor Steve McNair is quarterback, pick third.

Young was 30-2 as a starter at Texas, leading the Longhorns to their first national title in 36 years when he had 467 total yards and three rushing touchdowns in a 41-38 victory over USC in the Rose Bowl. He left Texas as the career leader in total offense (9,167 yards), touchdowns (81) and rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (37).

Hall of Fame quarterback Len Dawson, who received the Davey O'Brien Legends Award during the ceremony, compared what Young is likely to face as a rookie to what new Hall of Famer and former O'Brien winner Troy Aikman did when he first got to the NFL.

Aikman went through a 1-15 rookie season with the Dallas Cowboys, and was 0-11 as the starter. He later led the Cowboys to three Super Bowls in four seasons.

"Maybe he went through what you're about to go through," Dawson said. "You may not be on the greatest team in the world, but set your goals on what you want to accomplish. No doubt you have the ability to do that."

The only other Longhorns player to win the O'Brien Award was running back Earl Campbell, who received the inaugural award in 1977, when the trophy was given to the best player in the Southwest Conference.

Oklahoma running back Billy Sims (1978) and Baylor linebacker Mike Singletary (1979, 1980) won the award before it changed to recognize the nation's top quarterback.

Just thought everyone would want to see this, even if the bolded part didn't catch the attention of the "Draft Young because he'll kill himself if we don't pick him" crowd.

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Address the points that I made, or don't reply at all.

Your sarcastic response was bush league.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He hates Vince. Keep that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.