1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe We Can Hit The 2001 Free Agent Jackpot...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Nov 29, 1999.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Olajuwon would have retired and Barkley would be gone as well. This would mean that we would finally have some salary cap space to go after a big name. I'm sure we would be able to get at least one of these guys...

Jamal Mashburn, Doug Christie, Gary Trent, Chris Webber, or Samaki Walker? Sounds tempting...in like two years we would be right back on track.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Webber will sign with the Kings most likely.
    But I would love to get Gary Trent.

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Francis3,
    I'm not bashing you, but what's your basis for saying that Webber will remain in Sacramento? When he went there, he went public and said when his contract expired he was gone. Things have gone well for him the last two years, so maybe you're right. But do you know something the rest of us don't?

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well I know that if the kings keep on winning then Webber will stay. He wants to be on a winning team. So it just depends on how the team is doing. But he will stay most likely, him and J.williams have a close relationship and the kings are the team of the future.

5. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Webber said that when the Kings were losers.
    They've turned things around, if you haven't noticed.
    He says he's happier than ever. He likes his team and he has a good thing going for him.
    The Kings will obviously pay their franchise player the max, so he doesn't have to worry about the money.
    All things say he'll stay.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Webber also say that he is ready to get the negotiations started and that he never thought he would say it but that he wants to stay with the Kings? I think I saw it in an article linked to by NBAtalk.com.

7. treeman

treeman Member

You guys aim too low. Do something radical and unexpected. Make your points count...

I realize this may sound far-fetched, but how does this sound:

Tim Duncan, acquired from SAS as Center
    Clyde Drexler, acquired as Head Coach
    Glenn Rice, acquired from LAL

Rudy would go to a management position, and Clyde would have authority over plays in situ.

Just toying with the idea... When Dream and Chuck retire, we'll have lotsa cap $ to play with... Thoughts?